Mediterranean France: new rules for anchoring

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
New rules have been issued for anchoring in French Mediterranean waters, in particular:
1. It is repeatedly stated that anchoring must satisfy Colregs rule 5, "proper lookout at all times and by all available means"
2. Maximum length of stay is 72 hours, "corresponding to a period of time with weather forecast guaranteeing good anchor holding". This may be extended a further 72h under the skipper responsibility.

Point 1 seems to imply that there must always be at least one person on board, ready to maneuver, and that the lookout must go through the night :(
Re point 2, don't they know there are skippers and anchors that do not care about weather forecasts :giggle:

https://www.premar-mediterranee.gou.../arretes/1fbdd37e92774632bb08b7ce01eeb315.pdf

Yngmar

Visit site
The PDF 404s. Is this enforced never, rarely, often or all the time? Asking as in Italy there's a myriad of rules but hardly enforced unless the Coastguard officer had a lousy morning coffee.

Can't imagine the French sailing fraternity giving much of a damn about keeping watch at night :)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
This has been for a In Italy, by the way Yngmar on the Quay in Olbia last time we was there the CG said someone as to be on board at all-time, although we didn't take any notice .

Hoolie

Visit site
I think the .pdf link may be geographically limited. I have attached a copy ... ...

Attachments

• 1fbdd37e92774632bb08b7ce01eeb315.pdf
    225.6 KB · Views: 14

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Sorry for the bad link: this is the root directory, then half way down the page there is Arreté 2022-177, June 16th

Arrêtés - Préfecture maritime de la Méditerranée

It's valid for all boats, bigger units (85m) have a renewable 24h limit with a maximum of 72 hours :)
As I understand it, a number of boats left at anchor for long periods with no one onboard (or semi abandoned) have been stranded, owners were sometimes difficult to identify, no insurance or insurance not willing to pay etc so removal had to be made with public money: I think the decree has mainly been made in reaction to these cases; hopefully it will be mostly enforced with these situations.

Yngmar

Visit site
So pleasure crafts under 45m length can anchor for 3 days, and self-authorize to then anchor for another 3 days. Presumably repeatedly. Allright then! :cool:

Hoolie

Visit site
The original link works from an IP address in France but it doesn't work from anywhere else. I'm in France so I can see it, so I have attached a copy for you poor souls in other countries who can't!
Actually I've come across other official French documents, including useful inland waterway stuff, that's confined to French readership.