Med boaters - will you get to your boat this year?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Agreed - but it was in the weekend papers that a lateral flow test would be accepted (depending on country I think) for the return.
The tests once you are back in the UK had to be PCR.
Thats what I read anyway.
But, as usual, it is sooooooooooooo complicated.

A lateral flow test administered by a certified test centre or a self administered lateral flow test?

What pisses me off the most is that there is no differentiation between the quarantine requirements for people returning to the UK who have had both vaccinations and those who havent had any vaccination at all especially as I understand that the EU is about to announce quarantine free travel for anyone who has been double vaccinated.

What makes this even more incomprehensible is that for many months last year the UK had no restrictions whatsoever on incoming travellers when the vast majority of other countries did and only a few weeks ago delayed putting India on the red list for political reasons involving impending trade talks. Its almost as if somebody in govt is saying lets see what Europe is doing and then do the opposite just to be cussed

Hurricane

Visit site
Its almost as if somebody in govt is saying lets see what Europe is doing and then do the opposite just to be cussed
Or, more likely, they are discouraging holidays in the EU so that all this money that people have saved during lock down will get spent in the UK's staycations.
Call me cynical.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Or, more likely, they are discouraging holidays in theallowed into this country’s EU so that all this money that people have saved during lock down will get spent in the UK's staycations.
Call me cynical.
Which ever way you look at it, it appears to be a purely political decision rather than one guided by science or data. For months and months we, UK citizens have been prevented by law from travelling abroad, whilst at the same time thousands upon thousands of non UK citizens have been allowed into this country almost unhindered. And now our freedom is being threatened again because we continued to let flights in from India even though it was clear that there was a huge problem there.
Madness.

Sandydog2

Visit site
Sadly, the government website clearly states that the free NHS lateral flow tests cannot be used for the pre flight test before returning to the UK. They are insisting on a private one. Grant Shapps had previously talked of issuing outbound passengers with a kit to use before returning, but the idea was shelved. I still plan to take a couple with me in case they change their minds.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) testing before you travel to England

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Or, more likely, they are discouraging holidays in the EU so that all this money that people have saved during lock down will get spent in the UK's staycations.
Call me cynical.

Yes youre right. I think there certainly is an element of that in the decision making. But I have to say that the thought of the traffic on the A303 or M5 to the west country or indeed any other seaside resort any weekend in August this year puts me right off. And I guess its only going to take one washout summer this year to remind Brits why they went on holiday to the Med in the first place:D

Hurricane

Visit site
Yes youre right. I think there certainly is an element of that in the decision making. But I have to say that the thought of the traffic on the A303 or M5 to the west country or indeed any other seaside resort any weekend in August this year puts me right off. And I guess its only going to take one washout summer this year to remind Brits why they went on holiday to the Med in the first place:D
Yes, that, kind of, worries me - living in the West Country.
I guess its going to be like lock down - I won't be going out of the house!!

julians

Visit site
Sadly, the government website clearly states that the free NHS lateral flow tests cannot be used for the pre flight test before returning to the UK. They are insisting on a private one. Grant Shapps had previously talked of issuing outbound passengers with a kit to use before returning, but the idea was shelved. I still plan to take a couple with me in case they change their minds.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) testing before you travel to England
Bugger!

Seastoke

Visit site
Actually youre wrong. We were approached by JCB some years ago with a view to them incorporating some of our equipment onto their carriers. After a long and frustrating set of discussions, we decided their engineering expertise wasnt up to ours and the lack of any urgency shown by their engineering dept would make the collaboration too painful. In the end we went with a German manufacturer

What you have to understand about your Anthony is that he was never the driving force behind the company. His father, Jo, was the man who made JCB what it is today. His son, Anthony, was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, handed the company on a plate with a very able team of managers around him. In that respect he reminds me of another your heroes, The Donald

And btw the money, apart from a small amount donated to the Tory party to keep his cronies sweet, is all salted away offshore just like many other high profile brexit supporting businessmen

Apologies to everyone for drifting this thread off topic
Hope you dont get banned , i will have a word with sarebande 1

Portofino

Visit site
A lateral flow test administered by a certified test centre or a self administered lateral flow test?

What pisses me off the most is that there is no differentiation between the quarantine requirements for people returning to the UK who have had both vaccinations and those who havent had any vaccination at all especially as I understand that the EU is about to announce quarantine free travel for anyone who has been double vaccinated.

What makes this even more incomprehensible is that for many months last year the UK had no restrictions whatsoever on incoming travellers when the vast majority of other countries did and only a few weeks ago delayed putting India on the red list for political reasons involving impending trade talks. Its almost as if somebody in govt is saying lets see what Europe is doing and then do the opposite just to be cussed
Permit me to attempt some comprehension ?
Para 1 point .
As variants emerge ( mutants ) a small % of vaccinated may return as carriers .A greater % of unvaccinated sure .
So let’s crunch some numbers .20million + U.K. citizens normally visit Spain .It probably more for Sp and certainly for the totality of the EU but 20M is a easy number to work with .
I will be kind I reckon the % could be between the range say 7 - 12 or greater .
But for you Mike let’s be optimistic and agree on 1 % .That’s 200,000 peeps returning between June - Sept equally spread demographically ......equally potentially seeding the next variant .
This next variant might or might not defeat the current vaccine which targets B 1-1-7 .

Best to quarantine them returning from Amber / red .
There is risk with green but it’s tiny and currently the U.K. seems to able to cope with 2000 new cases , 1000 in hospital receiving Covid treatment and single figure deaths / day . Simultaneously opening up the economy.

A few amber s are still on many thou new cases and hundreds dead / day , with bombed out healthcare facilities.But the pool of un vaxed is huge .Say France , Spain ,Italy near 70 % un vaxed = serum breading ground for mutants , so it’s highly likely my generous 1% carriers bringing it back will be higher ?

Second para .
At the hight some 40000 + new cases / day or maybe more and the international travellers sure would have brought some in a static number say 400 , or 1 % .In the interest of the economy and commerce chasing , bashing down those 400 in the expanding 40000 + is just pissing in the wind .
Fast Fwds now the numbers change ( combined Vac roll out + restrictions)down to around 2000 domestic new cases / day and as you say a variant pops up over seas say India and that “ walking in travel number “ 400 doubles .If so the 800 in 2000 now makes up a worth while number to suppress by halting international travel to and from the country in this case India and surrounds.

Btw the EU are still allowing flights in from India , as of today they are “ looking to block flights “ As a few Indian variants are now popping up in Germany. Arguably the U.K. within the Europe acted first .

Also the major plank in the EU freedom of movement thing means there is still mass movement of folks between neighbours for work purposes as well as other reasons without quarantine.Partly explain s some stubborn numbers levelling out pretty high like 200 dead / day in European states compared to the UKs current today 7 .

Makes perfect sense to me the UKs strategy thus far since December.

andrewbarker

Visit site
Permit me to attempt some comprehension ?
Para 1 point .
As variants emerge ( mutants ) a small % of vaccinated may return as carriers .A greater % of unvaccinated sure .
So let’s crunch some numbers .20million + U.K. citizens normally visit Spain .It probably more for Sp and certainly for the totality of the EU but 20M is a easy number to work with .
I will be kind I reckon the % could be between the range say 7 - 12 or greater .
But for you Mike let’s be optimistic and agree on 1 % .That’s 200,000 peeps returning between June - Sept equally spread demographically ......equally potentially seeding the next variant .
This next variant might or might not defeat the current vaccine which targets B 1-1-7 .

Best to quarantine them returning from Amber / red .
There is risk with green but it’s tiny and currently the U.K. seems to able to cope with 2000 new cases , 1000 in hospital receiving Covid treatment and single figure deaths / day . Simultaneously opening up the economy.

A few amber s are still on many thou new cases and hundreds dead / day , with bombed out healthcare facilities.But the pool of un vaxed is huge .Say France , Spain ,Italy near 70 % un vaxed = serum breading ground for mutants , so it’s highly likely my generous 1% carriers bringing it back will be higher ?

Second para .
At the hight some 40000 + new cases / day or maybe more and the international travellers sure would have brought some in a static number say 400 , or 1 % .In the interest of the economy and commerce chasing , bashing down those 400 in the expanding 40000 + is just pissing in the wind .
Fast Fwds now the numbers change ( combined Vac roll out + restrictions)down to around 2000 domestic new cases / day and as you say a variant pops up over seas say India and that “ walking in travel number “ 400 doubles .If so the 800 in 2000 now makes up a worth while number to suppress by halting international travel to and from the country in this case India and surrounds.

Btw the EU are still allowing flights in from India , as of today they are “ looking to block flights “ As a few Indian variants are now popping up in Germany. Arguably the U.K. within the Europe acted first .

Also the major plank in the EU freedom of movement thing means there is still mass movement of folks between neighbours for work purposes as well as other reasons without quarantine.Partly explain s some stubborn numbers levelling out pretty high like 200 dead / day in European states compared to the UKs current today 7 .

Makes perfect sense to me the UKs strategy thus far since December.

Viruses mutate. That's what they do. The degree of knowledge about the types of mutation is a new phenomenon so we now "see" many more threats than we would previously have done.
Para1 point
You suggest that those returning from Amber countries may transmit a Covid Variant. That is true. But Mike's point was that the Govt is failing to discriminate between fully vaccinated and unvaccinated visitors. Fully vaccinated people are less likely to transmit Covid. So far, the evidence has been that they are less likely to develop the disease, even through exposure to variant strains.
Mutations will continue for as long as Covid exists. So far, travel restrictions have cost the UK economy £145Billion. As you said, latest daily deaths were reported as 7.
You think quarantine should remain for incoming people from Amber countries. For how long? For ever? The risk will never now be 0%.

Hurricane

Visit site
Viruses mutate. That's what they do. The degree of knowledge about the types of mutation is a new phenomenon so we now "see" many more threats than we would previously have done.
Para1 point
You suggest that those returning from Amber countries may transmit a Covid Variant. That is true. But Mike's point was that the Govt is failing to discriminate between fully vaccinated and unvaccinated visitors. Fully vaccinated people are less likely to transmit Covid. So far, the evidence has been that they are less likely to develop the disease, even through exposure to variant strains.
Mutations will continue for as long as Covid exists. So far, travel restrictions have cost the UK economy £145Billion. As you said, latest daily deaths were reported as 7.
You think quarantine should remain for incoming people from Amber countries. For how long? For ever? The risk will never now be 0%.
Absolutely.
Covid is with us and will be with us in some form for a long time.
It is important to be in control but at some stage, humanity has to "get on with life".
Influenza is a killer and we have learned to live with that.
Covid is just an extreme version of Influenza.
IMO

julians

Visit site
I've just bought a new boat , delivery due at end of June - so you can pretty much guarantee that means I wont be able to get out there now.

Portofino

Visit site
Para1 point
Yes I went for 1% of the returning masses .
You can manipulate the gross number and the asymptomatic carrier tiny number within the vaxed group any way you like .
But you can’t change the un vaxed soup of breading serum lurking in every EU airport , bar , Marina , restaurant, shop .
The younger the demographic the greater proportion of un vaxed you will be rubbing up against .

Your last para , “ How long “ until numbers balance with the U.K. s relatively sanitised island .The Green list .
The criteria for green , Amber , red are freely available.
Never “for ever “ until as i said the U.K. is happy with holding 1000 in hospitals , 2000 ish new ( not serious in vaxed ) cases and there will always be deaths below 10 seems acceptable.
Thats not 0% It’s a containable risk .U.K. economy is opening up with and EUs in double dip recession forecast .
Once EU states like Portugal s numbers equalise with the UKs then the U.K. pops can merge with those states uncontrolled.
They hopefully should now they have got out of first gear vaccination roll out wise ......still got a few gears to go .

Just a matter of time .I know this is not what you want to hear if you want to holiday in an Amber region .

Try your reasoning on NZ and Oz . :unsure:
Business travel and urgent family reasons , etc are ok within Amber .

TonyR123

Visit site
no differentiation between the quarantine requirements for people returning to the UK who have had both vaccinations and those who havent had any vaccination at all

I can understand that. Covid is more likely to effect you the older you are, generally the youngsters did not fill hospital beds, so older people are prioritised for vaccines. So to penalise them further for travel when they cannot get the vaccine is a bit harsh. Once everyone has had the chance to get the vaccine then the rules will/should change.

TonyR123

Visit site
I've just bought a new boat , delivery due at end of June - so you can pretty much guarantee that means I wont be able to get out there now.

must have missed this - what boat have you ordered?? end of June am sure will be fine. Well over a month to figure out what to do. I am aiming to get to Mallorca for mid June.

Bouba

Visit site
We are celebrating a minor milestone here in France today. Curfew goes back a couple of hours to 9pm, restaurant terraces will open so will other businesses. Best news is that it looks like the weather may start to cooperate by the end of the week??

TonyR123

Visit site
[Inappropriate quoted content removed]

ah yes I did read that. forgot :rolleyes:. Axopar 28 was on my list for a UK boat - live on the coast so can get out on to the sea from my house in probably 30 minutes- but complete change of tact means I am getting a sailing boat for the UK instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clancy Moped

Visit site