Med boaters - will you get to your boat this year?

John100156

Visit site
I too have heard that a boat, because you can live and reside on it, could be deemed a second residence and some marinas will provide a document in support. No expert just hearsay.

I do agree of course that we need to be conscious of our own health risks, mitigated by vaccination and testing prior to travel, and of course not wanting to spread disease to those in foreign lands that are not as advanced in their programmes as we are, I would be horrified like most of us would be to think we have deprived little Manuel of a loved parent or grandparent just to satisfy our lust for our chosen form of recreation.

I am though suffering from boat withdrawal symptoms, I still work flat-out in the week so getting out to the boat really rejuvenates me and SWMBO.

That said, I do believe if we take sensible precautions, we will pose less of a risk than say a normal tourist visiting a hotel or similar accommodation. It is important from a safety perspective we do properly maintain our boats and keep them in good order in my opinion.

For instance, I have a sea-cock on the HVAC SW inlet I planned to replace last year, that is not in good shape, the previous owner I don't think knew where it was and must never had exercised it. I did not want to operate whilst afloat, it looked that bad, so was awaiting until the next lift to do so. Only problem is, lift never happened due to C19 and I really would like to attend to it, I could get the boat dragged-over and lifted, but I would much prefer to be there to drive it over and assess it myself.

I think it is a reasonable excuse/reason and would of course take great care to mitigate any risks to myself and others, I don't believe marina berths are particularly unsafe environments anyway. I hope to get out again mid June....!

dune16

www.noforeignland.com
Another argument possibly is the clause in my insurance that I need to maintain the boat in seaworthy condition. It was when I left it 9 months ago but obviously since then it's been used by paid crew. I know everyone will not agree on my reasons to try and travel but that is the way of the world, if we go it will be late April.... unless Spain gets red listed before then (a real possibility) and then we won't go. I suspect if we try then we would be OK both ends, we aren't boozey tourists jetting off on a hotel beach holiday, we have what feels to me very legitimate reasons to secure our assets.

dune16

www.noforeignland.com
What are you actually stressed about?
I haven’t seen my boat for13 months now and I too was thinking of all the dreadful things that could be going on inside and out. I asked the guy who has done my upholstery in the past to go aboard and video inside and out. All was well and I‘m now a lot happier and patiently waiting for a late summer visit.....perhaps?

It's more than fact its been sailed back to France for some pretty substantial repairs and back to Spain. I haven't signed off on the repairs as I can't inspect the boat although it's just gone out if its 1 year warranty.... Couldn't really have picked a worst time to pick up a brand new boat (March last year) but I guess these really are first world problems ?

julians

Visit site
Another argument possibly is the clause in my insurance that I need to maintain the boat in seaworthy condition. It was when I left it 9 months ago but obviously since then it's been used by paid crew. I know everyone will not agree on my reasons to try and travel but that is the way of the world, if we go it will be late April.... unless Spain gets red listed before then (a real possibility) and then we won't go. I suspect if we try then we would be OK both ends, we aren't boozey tourists jetting off on a hotel beach holiday, we have what feels to me very legitimate reasons to secure our assets.
It doesn't really matter whats in you insurance, or what you think is reasonable, or what we think is reasonable as to whether you can travel or not.

What matters is the law, and I haven't really got a clue whether you have the right to visit your boat. I suspect not based on the legislation I posted further up, but I'm not a lawyer.

I hate that all this has got us looking at the law to look for loopholes or excuses to do what used to be taken for granted 12 months ago.

With regard to meeting your insurance obligations, you can do that be paying a pro local to the boat to ensure its safe and secure.

I have the same problem, I haven't seen my boat since August last year, I really could do with giving it a once over.

Seastoke

Visit site
Quite right thats how it should be. We toffs never did want to share our aircraft with the great plague ridden unwashed, Bravo to Bozo for this spiffing wheeze. It looks like I'll be off to my chateau sooner than I thought along with Lord JCB. I always knew that being a Tory donor would bring its reward one day
You brexiteers are all the same.

Seastoke

Visit site
The professional crew must have reported back.

Bouba

Visit site
The papers are grim reading this morning, I believe we are now in a vaccine war. This is going to have a lot of repercussions, the worsening situation will spill over into cross channel trade and cooperation. The possible shortage of vaccines in Britain could stop second doses and that could mean you forfeit your right to travel. Meanwhile European lockdowns loom.
Things could improve by late summer, other vaccines could arrive in quantity and vaccination could get significantly ramped up on the continent. But I am not so optimistic

Visit site
The papers are grim reading this morning, I believe we are now in a vaccine war. This is going to have a lot of repercussions, the worsening situation will spill over into cross channel trade and cooperation. The possible shortage of vaccines in Britain could stop second doses and that could mean you forfeit your right to travel. Meanwhile European lockdowns loom.
Things could improve by late summer, other vaccines could arrive in quantity and vaccination could get significantly ramped up on the continent. But I am not so optimistic

That sounds to me like another way of saying that you locals are very happy about horrible British tourists being kept out and you are very much looking forward to a summer of deserted anchorages and quiet marinas:)

Bouba

Visit site
That sounds to me like another way of saying that you locals are very happy about horrible British tourists being kept out and you are very much looking forward to a summer of deserted anchorages and quiet marinas:)
To be honest I am expecting it to be very crowded this year, with staycationers. I would love for you lot to arrive, I want to meet you all (just stay one meter away from me!)???

Portofino

Visit site
That’s not the impression I am getting .Quite the opposite in-fact.
Uk had sufficient stock now and supply domestically to meet the all adults by July target .
Uk gov is not interfering with existing contracts or meddling with CEOs of pharma Cos , or sending armed cops into law abiding commercial facilities .Why would it ?

The EU is posturing it’s another EU fudge they have been widespread condemned from all sources of even contemplating igniting a vac protectionism war and many a sensible leader last night would not support VDL s stance of a export ban .
Will make little difference to the U.K. anyhow , but in a shot in the foot kinda way harm the EUs Pfizer because a unique ingredient is manufactured in the U.K. and without that the Belgian/ Dutch plants grind to a halt .
Wether Boris will take the higher moral ground or retaliation ensures remains to be seen .
EU are just posturing .Perhaps the Fr newspaper are putting a tough guy Marcon stance on it all ?

As I said 2022 is your target season after thorough vaccination of the EU + U.K. and a second winter top up , then it will be suppressed enough to safely mix the MASSES .

Its too early to tell yet but there might be a bit of season later this year fwiw .
13 % of EU Vaxed is woefully inadequate at this stage without massive severe lockdowns Coming up to April now , write off May and June.But even if another 3/12 , 13% is done thats just over a quarter @ 26 % .By then July the U.K. should be near 100 % of Adults and there’s work being done right now on childrens vax inc a kinder nasal del route for U.K. use.
As children , acting as a symptomatic vectors cannot be ruled out .Or indeed a mutant breading cohort .That issues needs dovetailing in before the winter .

Its a bit like watching a football match in injury time ......anything is possible....come on EU get up the other end in the box and start getting crosses in .Never mind surrounding the ref , get some goals :)

Hooligan

Visit site
That’s not the impression I am getting .Quite the opposite in-fact.
Uk had sufficient stock now and supply domestically to meet the all adults by July target .
Uk gov is not interfering with existing contracts or meddling with CEOs of pharma Cos , or sending armed cops into law abiding commercial facilities .Why would it ?

The EU is posturing it’s another EU fudge they have been widespread condemned from all sources of even contemplating igniting a vac protectionism war and many a sensible leader last night would not support VDL s stance of a export ban .
Will make little difference to the U.K. anyhow , but in a shot in the foot kinda way harm the EUs Pfizer because a unique ingredient is manufactured in the U.K. and without that the Belgian/ Dutch plants grind to a halt .
Wether Boris will take the higher moral ground or retaliation ensures remains to be seen .
EU are just posturing .Perhaps the Fr newspaper are putting a tough guy Marcon stance on it all ?

As I said 2022 is your target season after thorough vaccination of the EU + U.K. and a second winter top up , then it will be suppressed enough to safely mix the MASSES .

Its too early to tell yet but there might be a bit of season later this year fwiw .
13 % of EU Vaxed is woefully inadequate at this stage without massive severe lockdowns Coming up to April now , write off May and June.But even if another 3/12 , 13% is done thats just over a quarter @ 26 % .By then July the U.K. should be near 100 % of Adults and there’s work being done right now on childrens vax inc a kinder nasal del route for U.K. use.
As children , acting as a symptomatic vectors cannot be ruled out .Or indeed a mutant breading cohort .That issues needs dovetailing in before the winter .

Its a bit like watching a football match in injury time ......anything is possible....come on EU get up the other end in the box and start getting crosses in .Never mind surrounding the ref , get some goals :)
Porto, you are way too pessimistic and clearly looking for another year of empty bays and anchorages to enjoy :). Talking your own book here :). Re vaccines, the UK supplies its own AZ from two/three plants in the UK. The reason that the UK thought the timeline would speed up is because of extra doses from India and possibly Holland. That is now unlikely. The EU is a mess and even Manny has now admitted this. The danger is to the Pfizer jab coming to the UK. But here if the EU blocked this the UK could in turn block the export of the critical element of completing manufacture of the jab, so the EU loses again. Bottom line the EU as regards the UK is in a jam. The current noises are all aimed at their own population/voters. The far far bigger issue is the willingness of Europeans to actually take a AZ jab. The reality now is that there is no shortage of AZ supply in Europe, more a shortage of people who will take it. Summer is coming, lockdowns are in place now, case rates will fall dramatically by June as like last year, and economics dictates that summer is not written off. Have faith that your speedboat will be surrounded by foreign flagged vessels, ruining your peace and quiet :) :)

Visit site

Thats happening already! The European football championship is taking place in June/July. I think England should diplomatically lose a few matches (shouldnt be difficult) in exchange for a few million vaccines and access to the Med:cool:

Portofino

Visit site
Porto, you are way too pessimistic and clearly looking for another year of empty bays and anchorages to enjoy :). Talking your own book here :). Re vaccines, the UK supplies its own AZ from two/three plants in the UK. The reason that the UK thought the timeline would speed up is because of extra doses from India and possibly Holland. That is now unlikely. The EU is a mess and even Manny has now admitted this. The danger is to the Pfizer jab coming to the UK. But here if the EU blocked this the UK could in turn block the export of the critical element of completing manufacture of the jab, so the EU loses again. Bottom line the EU as regards the UK is in a jam. The current noises are all aimed at their own population/voters. The far far bigger issue is the willingness of Europeans to actually take a AZ jab. The reality now is that there is no shortage of AZ supply in Europe, more a shortage of people who will take it. Summer is coming, lockdowns are in place now, case rates will fall dramatically by June as like last year, and economics dictates that summer is not written off. Have faith that your speedboat will be surrounded by foreign flagged vessels, ruining your peace and quiet :) :)
Yeh Thx for the reality check :)
It’s this time of the year I think we all start to plan the next season
Was rather hoping to revisit Elba , Corsica in my little “ speed boat “ this year after postponing it last year trying to socially distance / isolate from a boaty pov .
As you say the economic pressures with time will succeed over the science in the Med touristy states .

Anyhow we quite got used to this type of anchorage last year in Liguria.Managed 40 hrs down from 80 ish .Lost a couple of weeks at the end of Sept as Switzerland put a travel ban on Liguria, They did a area by areas ban thing , and put barriers up to stop Swiss folk going to the seaside and mixing.
Cleverly they allowed less than 24 hrs to keep open the Cote D Azur transport link but banned overnights in Liguaria .
We had teed up a couple to join us and planned a trip to Portofino/ Pisa down that way , but the numbers started to rise and that was the end of that late season plan .I packed the boat up mid Oct handed it over to my guardian .Fortunately I can see it every as day as it’s berthed under one of the marina CCTV .

“Piece and quiet “

Visit site
Summer is coming, lockdowns are in place now, case rates will fall dramatically by June as like last year, and economics dictates that summer is not written off. Have faith that your speedboat will be surrounded by foreign flagged vessels, ruining your peace and quiet :) :)

Yes but as has been said before on this thread, the willingness of Med countries to receive British tourists is only half the story. The other half is what the British govt decide to do with their current quarantine policy. At present there seems to be no political or popular clamour for those quarantine rules to be lifted and there is a good scientific basis for not lifting them any time soon either in that allowing into the country new variations of the Covid virus which may be more resistant to the vaccine risks a 3rd wave and another lockdown next winter

So there may be some people who are able and willing to go through a 10 day isolation period at home or worse, in a hotel, on their return from the Med, but my guess is that anybody with a job won't want to do that. 10 days isolation in the UK in return for 14 days in the sun doesnt sound like a particularly good trade off to me, even if your employer agrees, especially as it also involves spending possibly hundreds of pounds on Covid tests when you are in isolation. For that reason I see many Brits giving a holiday in the sun a miss this year

Moonstruck

Visit site
Maybe holidays might be taken further afield this year? US for example , who are ploughing through vaccinations?
Doesn’t help those of us with med based boats of course but may help keep the airlines moving?

Bouba

Visit site
There is of course an economic argument. Without foreign visitors Britain’s tourist industry needs staycationers. And so does the nations balance of payment

John100156

Visit site
OK Now to be really cynical: is there any advantage to EU/Pfizer damning the AZ vaccine, whilst they distribute their vaccine at a significant mark-up compared to the cost of AZ, the latter having honourably produced at speed a low cost vaccine that can be distributed worldwide and stored far more easily, how very embarrassing....

Well done to UK/AZ, says I, having had the Pfizer 1st dose :(