Med boaters - will you get to your boat this year?

Cheery

Visit site
Depends how many hundreds of thousands of dead people you think is a price worth paying for you to enjoy a normal life or, if youre one of the unlucky ones, succumb to Covid yourself? There is also a huge amount of doubt over whether herd immunity can ever be achieved given that natural immunity only seems to last a matter of months. Regular vaccination is the only way out of this

Maybe not.

John100156

Visit site
Discussed below.....

Sorry, not ignoring your response, but ironically I am manic involved in designing labs that are now in Construction at Imperial College comprising multiple test equipment/facilities, fast-tracked to complete one in mid May and another Mid June.... So we can conclude this will be an ongoing issue, interesting to debate though.

....Para 1 , no but is does not matter on return to know immediately what strain , if returnees test +ve then it’s important they isolate...

My concern is what if the test does not give a +ve, because it does not recognise the new/mutant strain. Can we be sure it will?

....Thats the point a vaccinated robust individual with strong antibodies ( from the UKs vax program) might bring back a stain that does not bother him / her but finds weaknesses in the less robust population and takes hold in another wave as it becomes the dominant strain , because it’s passed on and on until it finds a suitable host to multiply , this host then gets ill and potentially spreads it further and karboom its R number exceeds 1 .....

Hypothetical, but surely minimising the risk by mass vaccination is the key. Allowing the body to also assist with defeating variants. Assuming the strain can be detected by testing (lets hope so), otherwise a negative result could be equally damaging, it may give a false impression one is safe.

Each wave I reckon will less and less but how less is society prepared to accept ?
At the peak this one Jan was killing over a 1000 / day and your hospitals rammed with 40 K cases .So 1/2 as much @ 500 / day is still pretty shocking considering its could have been prevented by restrictions this summer continuing re foreign travel .

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but we have no control, it will be interesting to see how other Countries fare; it is sadly a learning curve, yes people will get it wrong and sadly people will die, it is a Pandemic, lets just hope we can minimise it as best we can. It is indeed shocking.

Ideally but unrealistically , may be possible to genomic sequence every new new case or at least batch test + ve groups.
If you have 4/5 000 new cases +ve then if the GS capacity is say 4000 / day ?? You will know , pick up variants and contain the thing while enjoying a pretty normal un lockdowned life .....except limited MASS foreign travel .
You can’t let loose 20 M into say Spain over the summer hols .
Even with robust fines Quarantine etc etc the shear numbers there will be a escape of a variant .

We do have high capacity GS testing in the UK, we should not speculate though and panic, we just don't know. I recall with H5N1 I was rushed into CL4 lab designs proposed to go in at St Mary's, and another for UoL, but they came to nothing. We had CJD etc., and were all going to be brain dead by now. Not saying it might not happen in the future, the key is to ensure we can act quickly, and we have proven in my opinion that we can, which I find reassuring and to be honest quite amazing.

Its genomic testing that’s needed while they are in isolation to drill down into the variant and ideally you need blood I think .
Once I thunk your new case rate drops to under 2000 /. Day the lower the better then every case can be GS d .

The more we test the higher the detection rate will be, its vaccination and mortality rates I think is most relevant, notwistanding R number of course.

With that level of surveillance you can then more accurate, in fact with pin point accuracy attenuate / modify you booster , round 2 jabs with certainty.

Not sure we will ever achieve pin-point accuracy, just like antibiotics and TB, superbugs will always evelove to defeat us!

As I have said before surveillance is king here or will be once the lockdown has eased and the majority are vaccinated.

Not sure myself we should rely on surveillance as king.

You are making it very hard nigh on impossible for yourselves if you let loose your healthy cleanly effective vaccinated population in large numbers into the party vaccinated (some 444M );EU

Hate to admit it but don't disagree with that.

Its a breading ground for mutants at the moment because of incoherent lockdown strategies and a crazy , failing vaccination programs , They are playing whack a mole because they lack the genomic sequencing capacity , by the time the hospital’s are filling up it’s too late , They can and are locking down after a surge in numbers , it should be the other way round .
Surge test find the variants .Stop people moving and vax the vulnerable quickly, otherwise theses will fill the hospitals .
Like Paris .

I don't believe we have failing vaccination rates in the UK, quite the contrary, and hospitalisations have fallen significantly. The EU should truly hang its head in shame in my opinion and its politics really is killing its people, the AS effectiveness debacle is farcical if not criminal, certainly tragic.

Its now not clear how effective the current crop of AZ / Pfizer is against the Brazilian variant....watch this space the EU are about to find out .

We shall see, likely it will provide protection, but I am no expert, what is sure is that we can tweak the vaccines very quickly and hopefully the bodies own defence systems will also react. Time will tell.

Which I will finish on the political side , all these threats of withholding Vac from the U.K. , well those vaccines might be effective in the U.K. with its current Kent , but by the time the EU gets its act together ( lost a week with AZ ) the virus may have run away further in the 440;M ie = more Brazilian becomes the dominant strain and the 84/92 % effectiveness the U.K. enjoys driving down numbers ..........drops to something crap like 40 % ? Or what ever , not low enough to press down the numbers .

Its all to play for in the next 6/8 weeks by June we will have a better idea where everyone is .
So you can’t blame U.K. Gov foreign travel hesitancy .

I agree, we MUST await further 'expert' guidance and adhere to it, not speculate, after all its our families lives that are at stake.

Lets agree on this then: Test, Test and Test AND Vaccinate, Vaccinate and Vaccinate...! Hopefully before my boat sinks and I can get out to Spain again....!

Visit site
Sorry, not ignoring your response, but ironically I am manic involved in designing labs that are now in Construction at Imperial College comprising multiple test equipment/facilities, fast-tracked to complete one in mid May and another Mid June.... So we can conclude this will be an ongoing issue, interesting to debate though.

....Para 1 , no but is does not matter on return to know immediately what strain , if returnees test +ve then it’s important they isolate...

My concern is what if the test does not give a +ve, because it does not recognise the new/mutant strain. Can we be sure it will?

....Thats the point a vaccinated robust individual with strong antibodies ( from the UKs vax program) might bring back a stain that does not bother him / her but finds weaknesses in the less robust population and takes hold in another wave as it becomes the dominant strain , because it’s passed on and on until it finds a suitable host to multiply , this host then gets ill and potentially spreads it further and karboom its R number exceeds 1 .....

Hypothetical, but surely minimising the risk by mass vaccination is the key. Allowing the body to also assist with defeating variants. Assuming the strain can be detected by testing (lets hope so), otherwise a negative result could be equally damaging, it may give a false impression one is safe.

Each wave I reckon will less and less but how less is society prepared to accept ?
At the peak this one Jan was killing over a 1000 / day and your hospitals rammed with 40 K cases .So 1/2 as much @ 500 / day is still pretty shocking considering its could have been prevented by restrictions this summer continuing re foreign travel .

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but we have no control, it will be interesting to see how other Countries fare; it is sadly a learning curve, yes people will get it wrong and sadly people will die, it is a Pandemic, lets just hope we can minimise it as best we can. It is indeed shocking.

Ideally but unrealistically , may be possible to genomic sequence every new new case or at least batch test + ve groups.
If you have 4/5 000 new cases +ve then if the GS capacity is say 4000 / day ?? You will know , pick up variants and contain the thing while enjoying a pretty normal un lockdowned life .....except limited MASS foreign travel .
You can’t let loose 20 M into say Spain over the summer hols .
Even with robust fines Quarantine etc etc the shear numbers there will be a escape of a variant .

We do have high capacity GS testing in the UK, we should not speculate though and panic, we just don't know. I recall with H5N1 I was rushed into CL4 lab designs proposed to go in at St Mary's, and another for UoL, but they came to nothing. We had CJD etc., and were all going to be brain dead by now. Not saying it might not happen in the future, the key is to ensure we can act quickly, and we have proven in my opinion that we can, which I find reassuring and to be honest quite amazing.

Its genomic testing that’s needed while they are in isolation to drill down into the variant and ideally you need blood I think .
Once I thunk your new case rate drops to under 2000 /. Day the lower the better then every case can be GS d .

The more we test the higher the detection rate will be, its vaccination and mortality rates I think is most relevant, notwistanding R number of course.

With that level of surveillance you can then more accurate, in fact with pin point accuracy attenuate / modify you booster , round 2 jabs with certainty.

Not sure we will ever achieve pin-point accuracy, just like antibiotics and TB, superbugs will always evelove to defeat us!

As I have said before surveillance is king here or will be once the lockdown has eased and the majority are vaccinated.

Not sure myself we should rely on surveillance as king.

You are making it very hard nigh on impossible for yourselves if you let loose your healthy cleanly effective vaccinated population in large numbers into the party vaccinated (some 444M );EU

Hate to admit it but don't disagree with that.

Its a breading ground for mutants at the moment because of incoherent lockdown strategies and a crazy , failing vaccination programs , They are playing whack a mole because they lack the genomic sequencing capacity , by the time the hospital’s are filling up it’s too late , They can and are locking down after a surge in numbers , it should be the other way round .
Surge test find the variants .Stop people moving and vax the vulnerable quickly, otherwise theses will fill the hospitals .
Like Paris .

I don't believe we have failing vaccination rates in the UK, quite the contrary, and hospitalisations have fallen significantly. The EU should truly hang its head in shame in my opinion and its politics really is killing its people, the AS effectiveness debacle is farcical if not criminal, certainly tragic.

Its now not clear how effective the current crop of AZ / Pfizer is against the Brazilian variant....watch this space the EU are about to find out .

We shall see, likely it will provide protection, but I am no expert, what is sure is that we can tweak the vaccines very quickly and hopefully the bodies own defence systems will also react. Time will tell.

Which I will finish on the political side , all these threats of withholding Vac from the U.K. , well those vaccines might be effective in the U.K. with its current Kent , but by the time the EU gets its act together ( lost a week with AZ ) the virus may have run away further in the 440;M ie = more Brazilian becomes the dominant strain and the 84/92 % effectiveness the U.K. enjoys driving down numbers ..........drops to something crap like 40 % ? Or what ever , not low enough to press down the numbers .

Its all to play for in the next 6/8 weeks by June we will have a better idea where everyone is .
So you can’t blame U.K. Gov foreign travel hesitancy .

I agree, we MUST await further 'expert' guidance and adhere to it, not speculate, after all its our families lives that are at stake.

Lets agree on this then: Test, Test and Test AND Vaccinate, Vaccinate and Vaccinate...! Hopefully before my boat sinks and I can get out to Spain again....!

Good discussion thanks

Bouba

Visit site
Looks like Porquerolles on the outer quay?, gorgeous spot except we got a scratch off a sailing boat on a windy afternoon
Exactly right! And we also have been scratched by yachts, but who hasn’t ?‍♂️⛵️?
Ps. my post#310 is also taken from the same sea wall

Bouba

Visit site
I have twice in the same spot !! Now I just anchor there because on a windy day it simply is chaos !!
True! But during the peak season it’s just always crazy. But wind is always the problem, but I will confess some yachts glide in effortlessly but some prefer a crash landing. But it’s the boat hooks i fear most.
But the anchorages can sometimes be no picnic on a summer’s day?

JB

Visit site
True! But during the peak season it’s just always crazy. But wind is always the problem, but I will confess some yachts glide in effortlessly but some prefer a crash landing. But it’s the boat hooks i fear most.
But the anchorages can sometimes be no picnic on a summer’s day?

Yes, one lady reversed into our bow and caught our bowline with the prop and eventually after a few attempts made it into the berth, so we took the liberty and put the tender in the berth next door and blocked it off to avoid further damages!! At least the GRP is back to normal now after a short anomaly

Bouba

Visit site
You sure he isn’t looking over and thinking “I’m not going anywhere near that passarelle” ?
He loves passerelles! Although yesterday, after a tiring day, he made a half hearted attempt to mount the passerelle, and nearly came off? You can now see the gouge marks where he grabbed the passerelle for dear life??‍♂️??‍♂️