Med boaters - will you get to your boat this year?

Hooligan

Visit site
And so it starts. I think we can feel even more confident now that Spain and Italy will open up as well and the reasons given are both logical and interesting. Sicily has come out and also said it will vaccinate tourist sector workers as a priority and wants to attract foreign and British tourism. So the competition for tourism will start big time now. Whether big bad Bojo is overly excited or our friendly Shapps, we will see. But i can not imagine that it is in Boris’ DNA to prevent Brits from travelling post April. I just do not think Gulag UK is what he wants his legacy to be. need to isolate on way back perhaps an issue but I suspect that unless coming from a red Zone they will rely on the fact we will mostly all have been vaccinated and on tests before return.

Bouba

Visit site
Those pictures were taken on the plage de l’Argentiere (silver beach) a little to the east of the airport of Hyeres

Bouba

Visit site
Back by popular demand ! This morning’s dog walk on the eastern side of the peninsula of Giens

Yesterday my wife was talking to a local woman who said, last night there was a program on tv about our town. They showed sportive people playing on the sea sand and sun, they called it, paradise on earth. She then said, ‘I hope they don’t repeat it’?????

• Love
Reactions: MrB
D

Deleted User YDKXO

And so it starts. I think we can feel even more confident now that Spain and Italy will open up as well and the reasons given are both logical and interesting. Sicily has come out and also said it will vaccinate tourist sector workers as a priority and wants to attract foreign and British tourism. So the competition for tourism will start big time now. Whether big bad Bojo is overly excited or our friendly Shapps, we will see. But i can not imagine that it is in Boris’ DNA to prevent Brits from travelling post April. I just do not think Gulag UK is what he wants his legacy to be. need to isolate on way back perhaps an issue but I suspect that unless coming from a red Zone they will rely on the fact we will mostly all have been vaccinated and on tests before return.

It rather depends on how much you enjoy quarantining. France may well be allowing non essential travellers in but there is still a requirement to quarantine for 7 days on arrival and of course, there is currently a requirement to quarantine for 10 days on return to UK. With regard to the latter there seems to be no political will to lift that any time soon.

I'm still betting June/July at the earliest for unquarantined travel to Europe

Moonstruck

Visit site
Not sure if I have missed this but in today’s Majorcan press (Daily Bulletin) there is an article stating that RYA qualifications are currently not being accepted by Spanish authorities to allow you to move your boat anywhere! This is causing an “exodus” of boats . I thought I had read that this applied to commercial/charter skippers but did not realise this applied to leisure skippers as well. They are saying we would need Spanish qualifications. Is this everyone’s understanding? I believe it is the same for France as well. Its been a long winter and I’m guessing I have missed this very fundamental change.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Not sure if I have missed this but in today’s Majorcan press (Daily Bulletin) there is an article stating that RYA qualifications are currently not being accepted by Spanish authorities to allow you to move your boat anywhere! This is causing an “exodus” of boats . I thought I had read that this applied to commercial/charter skippers but did not realise this applied to leisure skippers as well. They are saying we would need Spanish qualifications. Is this everyone’s understanding? I believe it is the same for France as well. Its been a long winter and I’m guessing I have missed this very fundamental change.

Sounds like another matriculation tax f**k up which drove a lot of boaters out of Majorca including me. Not sure its true though and I havent heard anything similar about France

julians

Visit site
British yachts leave the Balearics (majorcadailybulletin.com)

reading between the lines, it looks like more of a problem for commercial skippers & crews than it does for recreational owners of british flagged boats

quote from the article

"The ICC ( International Certificate of Competence) issued by the RYA for use in most EU countries has still not been confirmed by the Spanish as remaining acceptable, so nobody actually knows if it is valid or not. "

Guide Brexit regulations for yacht crew (pya.org)

Are ICCs issued by the UK still valid in the EU?
ICCs are still valid , with the exception of Spain. In Spanish waters, UK ICCs are no longer valid on a Spanish vessel, or on a vessel flagged under any member EU state. Spain has not adopted ‘UNEC Resolution 40’ and are therefore not obliged to follow any of the conventions relating to the ICC, whereas most other EU nations have. Please note, the operation of tenders has not been addressed by the Spanish authorities - this will need to be confirmed with local authorities . It is considered good practice however to ensure that tenders to larger vessels are clearly identified as such in order to minimise any risk of problems.

looks like for a british flagged boat, operated by british icc holders, its all fine. i'm not concerned - yet!

Last edited:
D

Deleted User YDKXO

British yachts leave the Balearics (majorcadailybulletin.com)

reading between the lines, it looks like more of a problem for commercial skippers,crews than it does for recreational owners.

quote from the article

"The ICC ( International Certificate of Competence) issued by the RYA for use in most EU countries has still not been confirmed by the Spanish as remaining acceptable, so nobody actually knows if it is valid or not. "

i'm not concerned - yet!

I'm still sceptical. I'm all for putting the boot into Brexit but why is this the first time we have heard this story? Surely, if there was a problem, it would have been flagged up months ago?

Moonstruck

Visit site
I'm still sceptical. I'm all for putting the boot into Brexit but why is this the first time we have heard this story? Surely, if there was a problem, it would have been flagged up months ago?
So I haven’t been asleep for the few months by the sounds of it. That makes me feel a bit better! My boat is U.K. flagged so I’m hoping will be OK.

kolyo

Visit site
Two jabs + 15 days post second jab + PCR + evidence of sufficient antibodies level for Greece as far as I know.