Measuring my boat

Bouba

Visit site
The port where we stay for winter want everyone ones boat measured. They take the boat out of the water in the cradle hoist, and using plumb line and laser measure the length and width. My appointment is for Wednesday morning.
I’d hoped to capitalize on this by having a jet wash and change some anodes...but no, they won’t allow it...in and out, thirty minutes per boat

Bouba

Visit site
Open your wallet, let the moths out, and pay for the additional time that your boat is out. You know that's only fair.
Well, I am sure that after I see the state of it below the waterline I will make appropriate arrangements

Boathook

Visit site
I think you people are missing the big picture....if the boat turns out to be slightly larger than anticipated...it could lead to higher berthing fees
Boats are always bigger when measured by the boatyard.

I'm amazed that they can't measure it whilst afloat unless they require the total height so that they can charge by the cubic metre !

Bouba

Visit site
Boat measurements are a very subjective thing
But it’s just length and width...most ports here charge by set width and length (8-10 meters, 10-12 meters etc) or the square footage from multiplying the length by the width

Bouba

Visit site
So if you think your boat is exactly ten meters long...it can come as a shock if you are 10.01 meters and now have to pay for a twelve meter boat. And width width might be even more sensitive

Tranona

Visit site
So if you think your boat is exactly ten meters long...it can come as a shock if you are 10.01 meters and now have to pay for a twelve meter boat. And width width might be even more sensitive
Sometimes it works the opposite way. Our berths have a minimum length requirement. So I chose a boat with a bowsprit and transom hung rudder to exceed the minimum and keep the same berth. Thee club charges are also by area and the new boat is 0.7m narrower, but the berth width stay the same as it is determined by the location of a pile.

Attachments

• IMG_20220930_140059.jpg
    IMG_20220930_140059.jpg
    1,005.3 KB · Views: 16

Zing

Visit site
The port where we stay for winter want everyone ones boat measured. They take the boat out of the water in the cradle hoist, and using plumb line and laser measure the length and width. My appointment is for Wednesday morning.
I’d hoped to capitalize on this by having a jet wash and change some anodes...but no, they won’t allow it...in and out, thirty minutes per boat
It’s a ruse to squeeze more money out of you. All boats are measured by the hull length as well as their load line length in their documentation, but are actually bigger. I have a huge fixed bowsprit, so when my marina plays that trick I am screwed, ditto those who own boats with big overhanging davits.

The Q

Visit site
If you've previous paid by the manufacturers published length then you'll probably be paying too much.
My motor boat is 6 inches shorter and 3 inches narrower than the "official" size.

Seastoke

Visit site
Bouba they may charge for for weight so all that red dizzle you will have to pay big.

Bouba

Visit site
Bouba they may charge for for weight so all that red dizzle you will have to pay big.
Thank you....and everyone else...for all the constructive feedback.....but at the end of the day, it’s me who has to get up at the crack of dawn (no jokes from The Office) the get onto the hoist

doug748

Visit site

Not like the French, who are normally more laissez-faire about these things, certainly in the North. However I have noted how French marinas have become steadily more expensive, over the years, in terms of short stay. Mirroring the South coast of the UK

I just got a tape measure, secured it at the back, pulled it taught and Bobs your uncle. Surely there is an easier way even with big power boats?
Can't you go elsewhere, Brightlingsea is very nice in spring?

Bouba

Visit site
Not like the French, who are normally more laissez-faire about these things, certainly in the North. However I have noted how French marinas have become steadily more expensive, over the years, in terms of short stay. Mirroring the South coast of the UK

I just got a tape measure, secured it at the back, pulled it taught and Bobs your uncle. Surely there is an easier way even with big power boats?
Can't you go elsewhere, Brightlingsea is very nice in spring?
There has been a steady creep in prices at marinas here..but nothing like the explosion of prices at the supermarkets...so I suspect that there is a lot of inflation left in the system just waiting to trickle down to the ports🥺

Alicatt

Visit site
With our next boat me will be going up a level in mooring costs, at the moment we are 7.5m and they only start hiking the price once you get over 8m
We have seen a Guy Couach that we quite like the look and layout of and it is about 10m

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
My mobo has the model number 975 on the topsides.

It originally was a model 900, but at the time for face-lifting the interior and bolting a swim platform on, it grew by 75 centimeters and was renamed.
Only that mine is without the platform, so still 900 cm excluding the anchor roller.

I've had several discussions with assertive harbormasters who claimed that I was cheating on the length. I have drawings and photos, and the manufacturer sign in the boat says 900 - even on the ones with the platform!

In our marina berths are paid by the size (sqm between poles). No matter how the size of your boat, you pay for all the space. Much like an apartment.

Late November 2023, many bouts on the hard (mine marked).
1707832587690.png