McMurdo EPIRB battery replacement

Piers

www.playdeau.com
Wow - McMurdo charges £246 for the standard service replacement battery for my GPS EPIRB 406. Seems excessive to me....captive audience comes to mind.

Am I a skin flint? Should potential buyers be warned in advance of buying an EPIRB what the ongoing costs will be?

cindersailor

Visit site
I do not have an EPIRB and this is one of the main reasons! I notice that EverReady are now producing AA lithium batteries (available 4 for about a fiver in Tescos) which are claimed to be OK until 2020 so the rather short service interval for EPIRBS should not be necessary if the right sort of battery is used. An Epirb battery cannot cost more than £20-£30, the question is where to buy one. Unfortunately many marine related companies seem to structure their business model on charging the absolute maximum they can get away with (Volvo springs to mind!) to customers who have no other option. It would be refreshing to see a company actually trying to compete on price.

Birdseye

Visit site
I've come across exactly the same problem and so far failed to find a solution. It doesnt help that the batterioes are "potted" ie installed in a compound in the handle.

If you find a solution, let me know please. In my case its a non GPS epirb, new ones are available at not much more than the replace battery cost so I will buy new if I cant find a sensible solution to replacement batteries..

boatbuilder

Visit site
I had the same problem before, again the batteries were in a pack and I could not work out how the voltage was achieved until I took the pack apart and found one was merely a dummy. So I sourced 3 lithium cells (RS if I can remember) soldered them together , incloding the dumme and hey presto job done for about £60 .
Hope that helps.

charles_reed

Visit site
I\'k afraid

that all battery replacement for 406 EPIRBs are about the same price. I know 'cos I've an ACR which needs a new battery after 7 years.

Justifications offered, include the cost of Li-ion batteries made as required in short runs, difficulties in re-waterproofing and that a re-batteried EPIRB has to be warranted as 100%, which can involve replacing PCBs.

I'm waiting until I'm next in France, where statutory requirements for Class A boats has increased the market - meanwhile it was almost the same price to buy a replacement in the USA as a personal import (VAT & duty make it very little cheaper to buy and ship from US).

It was certainly cheaper to have a liferaft serviced (€64 plus replacements) there, than in the UK or (more recently) Malta.

dickh

Visit site
Re: I\'k afraid

Hi, I had a Jotron Epirb on my previous boat and again would have been very expensive to replace the batteries via the official agent. I stripped down the epirb, breaking the seal of course and the batteries were 4 'D' type batteries wired in series. I found a company who supplied the batteries already wired up(sorry can't remember the name & the receipt went when I sold the boat) and replaced the batteries and resealed it. Never used in anger but it tested OK. I found the company using Google. Cost about £40 from memory. Good Luck.
The company may have been 'ALL BATTERIES'.

A

Anonymous

Hi, was yours a McMurdo? I have a McMurdo G4 GPS EPIRB and am wondering about changing my own batteries. I am wondering whether to buy a new one and re-battery the old one, so I have a spare.

supplyimaging

Visit site
Testing Epirb before replacing batteries

I had the same problem before, again the batteries were in a pack and I could not work out how the voltage was achieved until I took the pack apart and found one was merely a dummy. So I sourced 3 lithium cells (RS if I can remember) soldered them together , incloding the dumme and hey presto job done for about £60 .
Hope that helps.
I have a 10 year old epirb so the batteries need replacing - or do they? I will probably go down your route as electronics are not a problem. Never tested the epirb though. Looks like the time has come to take the plunge! and I live within spitting distance of the epirb control centre in Falmouth!
PS. Selling 'Tarquilla' the catamaran that used to be wintered at Millbrook and people seem to remember her!

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I had mine done by sartech last year much cheaper than McMurdo.

If you do try to replace your own batteries don't forget the the battery pack contains a read switch to disconnect the battery when the epirb is in its carrier.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Hi, I had a Jotron Epirb on my previous boat and again would have been very expensive to replace the batteries via the official agent. I stripped down the epirb, breaking the seal of course and the batteries were 4 'D' type batteries wired in series. I found a company who supplied the batteries already wired up(sorry can't remember the name & the receipt went when I sold the boat) and replaced the batteries and resealed it. Never used in anger but it tested OK. I found the company using Google. Cost about £40 from memory. Good Luck.
The company may have been 'ALL BATTERIES'.

I did the same when I had a Jotron epirb with my last boat - allbatteries were the peopl I used as well. You could also try Strikalite who I got battery packs from for an old hand held VHF - NiMH not NiCad as they are now illegal to sell them!

iowman

Visit site
Skinflint

No Piers you are not a skinflint.

At the boat show I bought a Kannard EPIRB which has a user replacable battery.

Kannard is now part of McMurdo and the unit was reccomended by Ocean Safety.

This EPIRB is being sent to New Zealand to join up with a guy from Bucklebury who has just arrived there non stop from UK after 7 months at sea alone with no VHF or EPIRB.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
McMurdo Max PLB's have user replaceable batteries at £65 each; a good reason to check the battery replacement cost before buying. Though now they are down to £180 new we are approaching the disposable EPIRB point which seems daft.

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
I need my McMurdo battery replaced according to date stamped on it.
I have just emailed Sartech with this reply :)

Yes, we can service McMurdo EPIRB's, prices are as follows:

McMurdo E3 Service (Non GPS) - £126.00
McMurdo G4 Service (GPS Unit) - £193.87
Return carriage (Next day) - £12.93

As I'm not sure which unit you have, I have quoted for both McMurdo units. Above prices include VAT. Turn round time approx 10 working days or quicker.

If you decide to proceed with the service, upon receipt of your unit we will send you a copy of our order confirmation, & when the unit is ready we will call to arrange a convenient delivery date & if possible, take payment by a Debit or Credit card.

With regards

Sue Brown

Sartech Engineering Ltd
13 Trowers Way
Holmethorpe Industrial Estate
Redhill
Surrey
RH1 2LH

Tel: 01737 372670
Fax: 01737 772795

VicMallows

Visit site
Presumably those who service their own Epirb's, make their own flares and service their own liferafts as well?

If I could afford/justify a liferaft .... then yes, I would.

As to flares ... once I eventually manage to dispose of the ones cluttering my shed I won't be buying any more. For once, the RYA and also MCGA seem to be thinking along similar lines on this if what you read is to be believed.

Vic