McMurdo EPIRB battery replacement

GrahamM376

Visit site
Presumably those who service their own Epirb's, make their own flares and service their own liferafts as well?

Unlike flares (not sure about life rafts:)) servicing the McMurdo (also badged Pains Wessex) is easy enough. Sartech supplied me with a battery and gasket 6 years ago and it was maybe 15 mins work, no soldering required as battery has a plug attached. Cost around £100 then.

As it's now out of date again, I've bought a GPS PLB for not much more money than current service cost for the old unit and, as the old one one self-tests OK, will keep it on board until the battery dies in maybe another 5 years.

charles_reed

Visit site
That is the going price for re-batterying EPIRBs, in my case an ACR, and done in France by the only authorised agents.
What must be realised is that the EPIRB is not just re-batteried but has certification issued for the registration authorities and has been tested.

I note, with horror, that mine is due again in August 2013.

Which brings us to the next point - is it more sensible to just replace the whole unit?

wotayottie

Visit site
As it's now out of date again, I've bought a GPS PLB for not much more money than current service cost for the old unit and, as the old one one self-tests OK, will keep it on board until the battery dies in maybe another 5 years.

+1 and for exactly the same reason.

Bilgediver

Visit site
that all battery replacement for 406 EPIRBs are about the same price. I know 'cos I've an ACR which needs a new battery after 7 years.

Justifications offered, include the cost of Li-ion batteries made as required in short runs, difficulties in re-waterproofing and that a re-batteried EPIRB has to be warranted as 100%, which can involve replacing PCBs.

I'm waiting until I'm next in France, where statutory requirements for Class A boats has increased the market - meanwhile it was almost the same price to buy a replacement in the USA as a personal import (VAT & duty make it very little cheaper to buy and ship from US).

It was certainly cheaper to have a liferaft serviced (€64 plus replacements) there, than in the UK or (more recently) Malta.

EPIRBS have to be registered with your flag authority. In the UK this is MRCC
Falmouth who register for the UK . They register the EPIRB using the manufacturers HEX string serial number. This includes the country code which for an EPIRB bought in USA would reflect the country code of USA.

You might have to allow for Falmouth not accepting it for the UK registry till it is recoded correctly with the correct UK code.

Jim@sea

Visit site
I have a Humminbird Hand Held VHF which needed a new battery and I could not get one as they were never imported into the UK. Then I was told about a firm called "Strike a Light" and I sent my battery off to them and they fitted new lithium batteries inside, quite cheaply. Then I found I had lost the charger so the VHF sat unused for 12 months and when I tried it there was still a charge in it,
I would try them.