MAYDAY last Thursday 9th July

philiphurst

Visit site
bromleybysea, perhaps you might like to edit your original message to remove the name of the vessel involved (also if Sniper could remove the repeat of this as well). That way others might feel more comfortable discussing the matter anonymously.

Those of us that heard the whole laborious call from start to finish already have the phonetic name of that vessel permanently imprinted on our brains by the number of times it was repeated by 'Essex' coastguard, no need to repeat it any more.

As for the helicopter I recall mention it was in the area at the time on a training exercise and, as there was some debate as to the vessel's actual position, offered to attend.

That's exactly as I saw it. I was just north of Fisherman's Gat at the time and could see a rescue helicopter south-East of Felixstowe. It certainly appeared to be on a training exercise and then headed towards the distressed yacht.

As I recall, the CG pointed out early in the exchange with the yacht that they would shortly re float. As others have said, caution and safety are the driving forces for the CG. Imagine the outcry from us lot if they had underestimated the severity of a situation and a vessel of one of its crew were lost.

Fwiw, my initial reaction was that the call should have been a pan-pan. This leaves the CG with the option to upgrade as they see fit. But, as others have said, (effectively), 'let he who is without sin...'

Cantata

Visit site
.............. Imagine the outcry from us lot if they had underestimated the severity of a situation and a vessel of one of its crew were lost.................
Exactly.
I served on a local CG team for 15 years and none of what happened with this incident surprises me at all. For instance I went out on numerous night call-outs after reports of a red flare, even though sometimes we could work out from the circumstances that it wasn't going to be for real. But a red flare is a red flare, and you have to go, just to make sure.

NickC

Visit site
As I recall, the CG pointed out early in the exchange with the yacht that they would shortly re float.
Now that is the bit I don't recall hearing, maybe I was making a cup of tea at the time and missed it.

However, I'm reasonably sure the other person I was with didn't hear it either; we joked about why no one (ie. coastguard) didn't simply point out to the skipper of the stricken vessel that they were on a rising tide, should make a round of tea and wait for the tide to float them off.

dogleg

Visit site
Nobody would disgree with that. I hate to think how much it costs to send out a 'copter. OTT by the sound of it - the skipper must have sounded terrified to warrant that.

helicopter was on exercise off Felixstowe, position of yacht was unclear, helo asked to find yacht and confirm correct position for lifeboat

yacht was fin keeler we were near Foulger Gat conditions were good , light wind , calm sea BUT we weren't there and it only needs a slight change in conditions such as a easterly breeze on the flood to cause a problem

If the yacht skipper over-reacted I suspect he realised it later A Mayday will always result in CG tasking Lifeboat etc as considered necessary

philiphurst

Visit site
Now that is the bit I don't recall hearing, maybe I was making a cup of tea at the time and missed it.

However, I'm reasonably sure the other person I was with didn't hear it either; we joked about why no one (ie. coastguard) didn't simply point out to the skipper of the stricken vessel that they were on a rising tide, should make a round of tea and wait for the tide to float them off.

Pretty sure that is what I heard as I remember thinking it was a realistic but surprising thing to say. Others have commented on the effects of pounding on sandbanks particularly on a fin-keeled yacht. The estuary was calm but there still would have been a chance of damage. Thankfully, all seems to have ended well.

Lessons here for all of us.

surekandoo

Home:Nottinghamshire Boat: Blackwater Marina, Esse
Visit site
Wasn't there so can't comment beyond saying there is no such thing as being over cautious in an emergency situation. Better to be called but not required. rather than the opposite.

Judge not so ye shall not be judged!

He could have had novice/nervous passengers on board, who panicked, maybe children, who knows. We all know that there are people out a sea who have no real business to be there, but that's life.......

Sailing/boating is one of the few remaining activities not bound up by rules, regulations etc. and long may it remain so.