Matriculation tax

Tranona

Visit site
Look,

this has been done to death several times.

The 183 day limit is there to be applied when persons establish themselves in Spain, not to harass innocent tourists.

So, if you are moving along the coast stopping here, touring there and generally "being a tourist", no one is interested in making hassle for you. Just get on with life and enjoy. No one is checking your 183 day limit, no one knows (without a lot of work) when you arrived or where, unless they ask you in person. The police along all the Spanish coasts have more important problems to handle, drugs and people-running being two well-known ones, but not the only ones by any stretch of the imagination.

On the other hand, if you stay put for some time, or start a business or buy an apartment or property, or settle in, in any of the accepted meanings of that word, expect to attract attention, especially if the stay is measured in years, as has been reported on several occasions on this forum, usually by people complaining once "caught".

So, lighten up, stop worrying and enjoy life.

Plomong

Suggest you read the whole thread. The OP was asking because he is thinking of moving himself and his boat there.

Nostrodamus asked whether the 183 days would affect him as a "tourist". Chinita suggests not - which exactly what you are saying - at even greater length. So not really adding anything.

emandvee44

Visit site
Matriculation Tax

Interesting thread - at least for me.
I probably will need the services of a 'gestor' as we have a house in Spain and will possibly be taking the boat there next year, and may stay more than the 183 days in a year.
I recall another thread some time ago in which a firm of 'gestors' was recommended, but my searches so far have not found anything.
Can anyone give me a link or a name?

Cheers,

Michael.

Wansworth

Visit site
I probably will need the services of a 'gestor' as we have a house in Spain and will possibly be taking the boat there next year, and may stay more than the 183 days in a year.
I recall another thread some time ago in which a firm of 'gestors' was recommended, but my searches so far have not found anything.

Cheers,

Michael.

There is a good one in Vigo-----LEXMAR

Plomong

Visit site

Cheers,

Michael.

Ask around in the brokerages / yacht sellers in the port where you plan to stay. Talk to the secretary rather than the salesman, if it is a largish outfit -- they'll know the ropes and can advise.

One may even say something along the lines of "bring me the papers and I'll sort it". They tend to have a good working relationship with the "bureaucracy" as they are all the time transferring title, moving boats from one area to another, etc etc.

If you want to go it alone, go to Registro de Buques, Ministerio de Transportes, which is often still referred to as the "Comandancia de Marina" and usually in the same building as previously when they were part of the military establishment. This office you will find either in the provincial capital or one of the leading ports in the province. The marina office can advise you. In the latter case, the office is usually what you would call the harbourmasters office and doubles as a representative or delegation of the provincial Comandancia. Here the formalities are usually less formal as they are more concerned with fishing boats and their problems than with little pleasure yachts.

One vital point already mentioned: Start the process within 30 days of arrival of the boat so that you can use the exemption and do not have to pay the dreaded tax.

Plomong

Wansworth

Visit site
Ask around in the brokerages / yacht sellers in the port where you plan to stay. Talk to the secretary rather than the salesman, if it is a largish outfit -- they'll know the ropes and can advise.

One may even say something along the lines of "bring me the papers and I'll sort it". They tend to have a good working relationship with the "bureaucracy" as they are all the time transferring title, moving boats from one area to another, etc etc.

If you want to go it alone, go to Registro de Buques, Ministerio de Transportes, which is often still referred to as the "Comandancia de Marina" and usually in the same building as previously when they were part of the military establishment. This office you will find either in the provincial capital or one of the leading ports in the province. The marina office can advise you. In the latter case, the office is usually what you would call the harbourmasters office and doubles as a representative or delegation of the provincial Comandancia. Here the formalities are usually less formal as they are more concerned with fishing boats and their problems than with little pleasure yachts.

One vital point already mentioned: Start the process within 30 days of arrival of the boat so that you can use the exemption and do not have to pay the dreaded tax.

Plomong
Two years ago the gestoria said I had to have a "project" made which is part of the registration process.....needs a N.A to draw up plans and show stability etc..costs about 1000 euros another con.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Two years ago the gestoria said I had to have a "project" made which is part of the registration process.....needs a N.A to draw up plans and show stability etc..costs about 1000 euros another con.
That's only if you have to, or choose to, re-register the boat.

About monitoring how long people stay in the country . . .

As pointed out, if you have property, or rather obviously live aboard in one place for a long time, or run a business (sail repairs, helping people with their electrics/engines/rigging) then the authorities may well make the assumption that you are a taxable resident. The onus of proof that you are not a tax resident is then down to you.

So if you are a nervous type, and think you are at risk of being fingered, but definitely don't qualify, then by all means keep proof that you spend time out of the country (transport booking receipts, ATM withdrawals from another country, diary of movements - many ways).

mm1

Visit site
tax

thanks every body this is very helpful stuff.The one thing i am learning is if in doubt do the right thing & don't just think you can ignore it in the hope that no one will bother us.i always tend to do it this way anyway so not to worried.
Can any one tell me the maximum amount you can earn in Spain/France before tax is payable,thanks &regards mm1.

Kibo

sailingflorencemay.blogspot.com
Hello everyone, I am Spanish and own an English registered boat in Spain.
I think you all are wrong as here in my country, the law was recently modified.

Right now, Law DLIA 1 st disspossiton, states that any European vehicle can stay in th Spanish territory, regardless the owner nationality or legal residence, as long as the registration tax ( impuesto de matriculacion) is paid.

This tax is 12% of the value of the boat when new LESS a percentual depreciation depending on the age of the boat. If the boat is older than ten years, then the tax is a 10% of the 12% when new: for example a ten years old AWB that was 60.000 euros when new, should pay:

12% of 60000= 7200 euros now we apply depreciation due to age of the boat

10% of 7200= 720 euros

Doing this your boat will be UK registered but legally resident in Spain.

This new law is valid since January 2011

Tranona

Visit site
The discussion is about whether this tax is payable by new residents, and the understanding here is that if you declare the boat within 30 days of taking up residency the tax is not payable. You can also keep a boat in Spain indefinitely without paying any taxes at all provided you do not become resident. So the key issue is the status of the owner of the boat, not the boat itself.

Kibo

The discussion is about whether this tax is payable by new residents, and the understanding here is that if you declare the boat within 30 days of taking up residency the tax is not payable. You can also keep a boat in Spain indefinitely without paying any taxes at all provided you do not become resident. So the key issue is the status of the owner of the boat, not the boat itself.

Hi Tranona, what you say it's only partially true. If the owner is to become Spanish resident or going to spend more than 183 days in the Spanish territory, then he must pay the tax, regardless he declares it before or after 30 days from arrival. Believe me, I work in Spain and in this specific field.

Wansworth

Visit site
Hi Tranona, what you say it's only partially true. If the owner is to become Spanish resident or going to spend more than 183 days in the Spanish territory, then he must pay the tax, regardless he declares it before or after 30 days from arrival. Believe me, I work in Spain and in this specific field.

Por fin nuestro experto de Matriculation.......end of endless threads!

Tranona

Visit site

Can I refer you to post 8 of this thread from Jim. This is the situation that has been confirmed at a high level and supported by other people on here who have been through the process.

Wansworth

Visit site
Hola Mogy, encantado de ayudar.
I will be pleased to answer all your questions about this issue and if you are in the South East of Spain( Cartagena) I can even help you with your documents.

Thanks for your offer,at present the boat is in the UK .So as a resident in Spain ,what is the basic sequence of events to keeping a what is now a uk boat in Spain if I decided to bring it across,cheers.

Kibo

Can I refer you to post 8 of this thread from Jim. This is the situation that has been confirmed at a high level and supported by other people on here who have been through the process.

Hi, I read that post and:

Technically speaking, this payment you refer to is no longer a matriculation tax (registration tax), since the boat no longer has to be re-registered in Spain if you become a Spanish tax resident. It can remain a UK registered boat, as long as it spends some time outside Spain (your gestor will advise the detail).

Partially true. You don't need to change your boat registration EVEN if you stay in Spain a complete year, BUT you pay the matriculation tax if you are resident here. So you own a British registered boat in Spain with Spanish taxes paid.

The payment has been modified to be, in fact, a "pollution payment". This is effectively a fine, and only levied if the the boat's import into Spain is not declared within 30 days of you becoming a tax resident (if the boat is already in Spain) or within 30 days of importing the boat (if you're already tax resident).

Not true. Don't know where Jim got that about the pollution payment. Here in Spain boats don't pay for that. I'll reprint it again, if you plan living here for more than 183 days a year then you pay. If you declare it before 30 days you pay the normal tax and if you exceed that time you will be over charged.

If you choose to re-register the boat in Spain (or have to because you won't be spending time outside Spain) then the boat will have to have equipment fitted to meet Spanish regulations. Again, your gestor will advise.

Not true, well, it used to be true but because before our legislation was changed last year, if you were to become Spanish resident you were forced to register your boat here and get a Spanish plate number and use the Spanish ensign. This is, your boat wasn't any more a UK registered boat. Nowadays, you can keep your boat's nationality registration but you do pay taxes here, so no need of certified or conformity project anymore.

BTW, if you still want to doubt, go ahead, but I work in the registration agency in Spain and know what Im talking about.

Wansworth

Visit site
Hi, I read that post and:

Partially true. You don't need to change your boat registration EVEN if you stay in Spain a complete year, BUT you pay the matriculation tax if you are resident here. So you own a British registered boat in Spain with Spanish taxes paid.

Not true. Don't know where Jim got that about the pollution payment. Here in Spain boats don't pay for that. I'll reprint it again, if you plan living here for more than 183 days a year then you pay. If you declare it before 30 days you pay the normal tax and if you exceed that time you will be over charged.

Not true, well, it used to be true but because before our legislation was changed last year, if you were to become Spanish resident you were forced to register your boat here and get a Spanish plate number and use the Spanish ensign. This is, your boat wasn't any more a UK registered boat. Nowadays, you can keep your boat's nationality registration but you do pay taxes here, so no need of certified or conformity project anymore.

BTW, if you still want to doubt, go ahead, but I work in the registration agency in Spain and know what Im talking about.

Thanks...."conformity project" was the expensive bit at last Spain seems to be seeingf the light!

Kibo

Thanks for your offer,at present the boat is in the UK .So as a resident in Spain ,what is the basic sequence of events to keeping a what is now a uk boat in Spain if I decided to bring it across,cheers.

1. Once the boat is in Spain, go to Hacienda ( treasury ministry) and ask to pay tax number 576, called " Impuesto medios de transporte".

2. Please remember you don't have to pay anything if your boat has a LOA shorter than 8 meters.

3. Keep a copy of the tax paid ( or certified of treasury ministry saying you don't have to pay if your boat is LOA <= 8 meters) on board just in case "Aduanas" customs police boat asks you for it.

4. Enjoy your British SSR or Part I registered boat in Spain in a perfect legal way.

Wansworth

Visit site
1. Once the boat is in Spain, go to Hacienda ( treasury ministry) and ask to pay tax number 576, called " Impuesto medios de transporte".

2. Please remember you don't have to pay anything if your boat has a LOA shorter than 8 meters.

3. Keep a copy of the tax paid ( or certified of treasury ministry saying you don't have to pay if your boat is LOA <= 8 meters) on board just in case "Aduanas" customs police boat asks you for it.

4. Enjoy your British SSR or Part I registered boat in Spain in a perfect legal way.

Thank,!..........Made my day,although there is still the five year itv .!Still a sensible step forward!....enjoy the holiday.