Mast Fittings

m1taylor

Visit site
Hi,

A question from a DIY dunce. I hace two rope cleats on my mast. The pain is the gib cleat is shared with the topping lift, so really I need to put another cleat on the mast. But..how do you do this? Presumably drill into the mast (which is alluminim I assume) and use self-tapping screws - will that work?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
would very much depend on the fitting you get, best is the cleat that has a square fitting that goes against the mast and has 4 holes. Stainless self tappers have been used, but will cause corrosion. Best is to fit with monel rivets.

<hr width=100% size=1>

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
How are your existing cleats attached, rivets or screws?

If you attach a new one with stainless screws, you should coat the screws in some goo that slows corrosion. The stuff to use is yellow and comes in tubes, sold at chandlers, called Duralac.

Duralac is great fun. It's bright yellow, really sticky and gooey, gets everywhere, doesn't come off easily, comes out of the tube much faster than you expect, stinks, and gets transferred to everything else you touch for the rest of the day.

<hr width=100% size=1>One day, I want to be a real sailor. In the mean time I'll just keep tri-ing.

simonfraser

Visit site
if you use SS screws in alu you'll never get them out again in a few years time .....

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rick

Visit site
How are the other cleats attached? If screws, I'd suggest you drill and tap, not use self tappers. You must insulate the SS from the alloy - Duralac, Loctite or Tef-Gel all work. Be very careful with Duralac - I'm told it's very nasty on your skin - wear disposable gloves.

<hr width=100% size=1>

William_H

Visit site
I feel sure that small horn cleats in plastic are available at your nearest swindlery for very little money. The size of the cleat should relate to the rope size. Suggest you get SS screws then get a tap of the same thread to tap into the mast then use duralac ( the toughest paint ever devised) Regards will

<hr width=100% size=1>