Mast Base Set Up For Blocks?

conks01

Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for guidance here please.

I'm aiming to create a back to cockpit set up for my Westerly Pageant and need 3 lines returning comprising the kicker, topping lift and main halyard.

The problem is I only have just a single loop to connect onto at the mast base plate (see pic).

As I will require 3 blocks any idea how I can make this work?

Many thanks.

20221015_092120 (1).jpg

Refueler

Visit site
Surely the first item is how to lead the ropes to the blocks ?? Kicker and probably Topping Lift are 'aft' of mast - but main halyard at front of mast ?

Unfortunately the picture only shows mast / tabernacle and not the lines as well ..... need front / rear view with lines as well ..

wallacebob

Visit site
Did exactly that to my Pageant at start of this season. I’m on holiday , so no pics.
Three stand up blocks approx above heads, to bring lines away from mast, and staggered. Led to organiser, then back to three clutches fitted above the grab rail, to winch. Winch was the original mast fitment. Starboard is topping, main and spin. Port has similar setup, with genoa and soon kicker too. All works well; I’ll post pics when I get home next month.

dgadee

Visit site
I just put eyes through the deck. I had bought blocks but reefing lines are not under tension when I haul them into the cockpit I found in practice. The blocks will be used elsewhere.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Surely the first item is how to lead the ropes to the blocks ?? Kicker and probably Topping Lift are 'aft' of mast - but main halyard at front of mast ?

Unfortunately the picture only shows mast / tabernacle and not the lines as well ..... need front / rear view with lines as well ..
Genoa halyard at front, main at rear.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Put a largish bow shackle on the u-bolt and attach blocks to that.
Barton sell a proper mast base organiser Barton Marine -
If it was overloaded & broke one would have 3 things fail at once & no fall back option. I would go with the shackles through the 2 holes that are already there. Only problem is that it is a little high, so the organiser on the deck may need packing to get a better line feed in the vertical plane. Perhaps a SS tab under the nuts holding down the base might be lower & keep the block lower down. Then the halyard exit would be nearer the deck

Neeves

Visit site
As already requested a picture showing how the lines are going to be run back to the cockpit would be invaluable - or if this has not be considered or decided it would allow the assembled expertise to make a constructive comment on the whole new layout.

Currently some of the options suggested may be impossible, or inconvenient, simply because we cannot see what is involved.

To the OP - an absence of photographs is a common problem - parsimony is unnecessary :)

A comment I might make - if you are running the halyard back to the cockpit it would be logical to have reefing lines run back as well - then reefs could be taken in, or out, single handed. As the reefing lines seem to be asigned to the mast then to make a reef single handed means running back and forth - which lacks any logic (and not much safety)

Jonathan

Daydream believer

Visit site
There are stand up blocks .... basically blocks on stiff spring like mounts. This allows block to orientate to the line IN and EXIT ... then it would be a case of a sorting out the run aft.
That only works if the base itself is stiff. If the spring were to sit on shackles set in the holes in the base that are currently there they would just fall over. They might even snag any slack lines , such as genoa sheets passing round the mast. So I would not recommend them in this situation.
Just my opinion & others may disagree.But the OP can weigh up the options himself.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I have used a large bow shackle on a previous boat:

View attachment 144547
With due respects, That goes to a strong casting in the mast base. Not a loop spot weded on to a plate. The angle of the vertical does not suggest that they are for halyards. That makes the block sit lower & the exit of the line correspondenly closer to the deck. This fits better to a deck aligner. Am I correct?

ithet

Visit site
Yes you are correct. The picture was to show a bow shackle and how a number of blocks could be attached to one as they had mentioned in prior posts.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Sure ? The photo doesn't show ...

Many - incl mine - have mainsail halyard exiting opposite side of mast to the sail they hoist. ie to the front.
Weird!?
Edit:
Sorry, quite right. I had been visualising the part of the halyard exiting to attach to the head of the sail, not the bit you pull?. My halyards exit at the side of the mast, but I can now envisage a main exiting at the front and turning at a block at the base of the mast, or terminating at a mast cleat and winch.

Last edited: