Mark Kurlansky

townes

Visit site
While these books are not about sailing per se they do have a maritime theme running through them. Kurlansky is a very fine writer of , shall we say, popular history. They are not text books but good narratives on quite interesting subjects, if you can believe that a book on the history of salt could be interesting. This dovetails into a subject that I'm sure is dear to heart of any Englishman, Cod.

Salt - A World History
Cod - A History of the Fish that changed the World
The Basque History of the World
The Big Oyster - History on a Half Shell.

(I'm very new here and am taking the stance that books with some maritime theme are relevent to the forum. If I'm wrong please feel free to tell me to pull my head in.)

Ships_Cat

Visit site
If read, what is "Cod" like and basically about Wombat (the book that is /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)?

Have often seen it on the bookshop shelves and wondered if worth getting a copy.

John

townes

Visit site
Cod covers the history of the cod fishing industry from the earliest Basques who having fished out the Bay of Biscay of whales and cod, then moved further North and out in to the Atlantic until they were fishing off the American Grand Banks years before Columbus sailed across the ocean blue. It traces that history all the way down the ages through to the cod wars twixt Britain and Iceland. I realise that must sound terribly dry and boring but Kurlansky has a way with words that makes it all very readable. It should be read with Salt as the two are inseparable. It was after all only the ability to dry the cod in salt that made it possible to transport the fish back to Spain. That of course is where the Basque book comes into it again as a continuation of the other two. The Basques being inseparable from the cod and the cod from the salt. Wonderfully, Kurlansky also peppers his narrative with recipes both ancient and modern. As a foody, a lover of Spain especially the Basque Country and a sailor these books for me have it all. Beg steal borrow or buy but do read 'em. ( I should be on Kurlansky's payroll, shouldn't I ? But I'm not, just an admirer.)