Mariner 4 gear problem

CAPINAL

Visit site
Can anyone help? I have an old mariner 4. engine My gear lever has become very stiff and I cannot engage forward. Have loosened link through hole in leg. Lever still stiff, so fault not in lower gearbox. It seems the linkage needs cleaning and greasing.
I have removed 7 screws holding leg plate to engine. will leg pull away or do I need to disconnect anything else i.e drive shaft
View attachment 20525

Nick Marine Eng

Visit site
These levers get corroded due to the reaction of the alluminium and the water and sometimes if they are left to stand for long periods. You can remove the assembly but why not try to get WD40 into the gear lever assembly at the top, once loose it will be easier to disassemble. A mod is to drill carrier part, tap it and install a grease nipple so it can be greased in the future. Hope this helps

nickroberts02@o2.co.uk

Marine Engineer

Visit site
mariner 4

Hi I had a similar problem with mine from memory the gear shift handle has a grease nipple near it shoot loads in there, also there is a leaf spring on the gear shift grease this too. Work the gear shift handle repeatedly you may have to turn the prop by hand slightly to get it to engage.It should free up.

VicS

Visit site
It is the shift lever shaft getting tight where it passes into the top of the leg due to corrosion and lack of lubrication.

My Evinrude has a grease nipple but many dont :eek:

Try working it gently with application of a relese oil . If you are lucky it will free up but dont break the lever

You will probably be able to remove the power head although some persuasion might be necessary to pull the drive shaft and crank shaft apart.

You may have to take the gearcase off to relocate the water tube in the pump when you reassemble .

It's a good time to renew the pump impeller so Id take the gear case off first anyway then remove the power head.
Sort out the shift lever and renew the impeller.

While its in bits look at the feasibility of fitting a grease nipple.

Diagrams at http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mariner/parts.html

Last edited:

CAPINAL

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice.
My gear lever does not have a grease nipple. However I have now fixed the problem after a bit of a struggle. The 7 bolts I had already removed was holding the engine to the base plate. I lifted and moved this to one side, this then gave me access to 4 more bolts holding the leg. This then came away easily.
The gear lever was a bit of a struggle to get out, but WD eventually persuaded it to give way.
I cleaned it with fine emery paper then regreased, Good as new.
Have attached photo's to assist others who may have same problem.

VicS

Visit site
And of course the water tube that I was worried about does not in fact come way with the power head :eek:

CAPINAL

Visit site
The water tube comes away with the leg. It is fixed in position, and slots into a channel in the engine block on reassembly without any difficulty.