Mariner 2hp outboard relic & how to restore?

QBhoy

Visit site
Get some 2 stroke oil down the plug hole. Let her sit for a while. Already said by now, I’m sure.
Great wee engines these. I have the Yamaha badged model. Bought for £50 from memory, as a non runner. Was the stop switch corroded and “stopping” it running. Of course, only realised this…after lots more serious intervention and footering !!

conks01

Visit site
Hi all.

So to follow up, I've started to take the engine apart this weekend.

Having sprayed penetrating Oil in the cylinder all week, it's no longer seized and the piston is now moving pretty freely.

The spark plug will need changing as it's seen far better days!

I took the head off also. There was a lot of salt and mess in what I think is called the water jacket? i.e the gap surrounding the cylinder?

I've scraped a lot out but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to drop in some white vinegar?

I will also need a new head gasket and will also blast the carb with carb cleaner.

Other than this, is there anything else I will need to do as standard? I'll change over the gearbox oil of course, but wondering if I'm missing anything else?

Next weekend I'll reassemble, I keep my fingers crossed that it fires!

Thanka

conks01

Visit site
Hi all.

Having sprayed penetrating Oil in the cylinder all week, it's no longer seized and the piston is now moving pretty freely.

I took the head off also as per the pic below. There was a lot of salt and mess in what I think is called the water jacket? i.e the gap surrounding the cylinder?

I've scraped a lot out but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to drop in some white vinegar?

I will also need a new head gasket and will also blast the carb with carb cleaner.

Other than this, is there anything else I will need to do as standard? I'll change over the gearbox oil of course, but wondering if I'm missing anything else?

Thanka

conks01

Visit site
Hi all.

I took the head off also as per the pic below. There was a lot of salt and mess in what I think is called the water jacket? i.e the gap surrounding the cylinder?

Thanka

QBhoy

Visit site
Hi all.

I took the head off also. There was a lot of salt and mess in what I think is called the water jacket? i.e the gap surrounding the cylinder?

Thanka
Hi. Great job.
Can I just mention that you should really take the carb off completely and then clean it thoroughly. Or at least avoid spraying carb cleaner in it when it’s still in place. You’ll take the paint right off the engine power head !

conks01

Visit site
Hi. Great job.
Can I just mention that you should really take the carb off completely and then clean it thoroughly. Or at least avoid spraying carb cleaner in it when it’s still in place. You’ll take the paint right off the engine power head !
Thanks and yes, the carb is currently sat on the kitchen table waiting for me to get my behind in gear!

Mudisox

Visit site
1. Buy a 800w 36v scooter motor with a controller and twist grip of ebay.
2. Remove all the combustion engine parts from the top if the leg.
3. Get a lump of aluminium that you bolt down to the leg.
4. Bolt the motor to the aluminium.
5. Use a shaft coupler with some dampaning built in to join the motor shaft to the engine shaft.
6. Wire up the electrics.
7. Job done.

I initially used my bike battery and then later got a separate one.

Has range to get to my mooring and back in the middle of Poole Harbour with a bit to spare.
Worth an article or at least expansion for something that was on practical ideas for boats.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

Thanka

If you have some glass or a piece of very flat laminated board, stick some wet and dry to it and sand/clean the head and block mating surfaces.