Marine Engineer Wicormarine or nearby

Sinbad1951

Visit site
My boat has a Ford Sabre 120 which has been increasing the oil level consistently over the past few days whilst in use. I am new to the Fareham/Portsmouth area and need a recommendation for a good marine engineer who would be familiar with these marinised Ford engines.
I have changed the low pressure fuel lift pump thinking it was the culprit. It wasn’t so need some help now. Many thanks.

jim.howes

Visit site
My boat has a Ford Sabre 120 which has been increasing the oil level consistently over the past few days whilst in use. I am new to the Fareham/Portsmouth area and need a recommendation for a good marine engineer who would be familiar with these marinised Ford engines.
I have changed the low pressure fuel lift pump thinking it was the culprit. It wasn’t so need some help now. Many thanks.
Silly question but do you check your oil level with the engine running?

Sinbad1951

Visit site
Jim, lol, nope. Ive checked the fuel return connections under the rocker cover, eliminated the low pressure fuel lift pump so suspect it can be only a faulty injector....but I’m guessing so need someone good with the older engines.

jim.howes

Visit site
Hi sorry about the silly question but i used to run/maintain 2 boats for the SBS (as per my avatar). Be fore going on a run i would check oil levels of the engines (3 of them) static,then start engines and check oil levels of the gearboxes, they were ZF gearboxes designed to be dipped with engines on tickover. sometimes some of the new crew members would watch and take note of how things were done. One time when the boats came back from Poole where they were based to Portchester (our base ) for some routine maintenance. Before going on our next run after the maintenance i checked the oil levels on the 3 engines (cold/static) all engines were over filled by quite a large amount. What the crew had done having watched me dip the gearboxes with engines running they thought they had to check the engines in the same manner leading to over filling of the engines. They were very quickly shown the errors of there ways.