marine call or XC weather??

herdman

Visit site
Does anyone know which is most reliable? I have always used marine call - but a windsurfing friend says he finds XC weather very good - seems to be some sort of American thing... anyone any views?? thanks

AliM

Visit site
I usually look up as many free internet weather sites as I can and simonjk's e-mailed one, of course (see scuttlebutt site). Usually there is some sort of consensus, but when they all disagree, then you can choose the favourable one!

I thought that by doing that I'd be able to work out which site was most reliable, but I still haven't come to any firm conclusion.

I suppose that if I was about to cross Biscay, I'd probably pay for a forecast, but I have never done so yet, so I can't comment on any that actually cost money.

Mudhook

Visit site
Windsurfers don't really need forecasting in the same way that cruising sailors do (they are rarely far from safety and rarely out for long) and I would discount their advice.

XC weather is not American, it's put together by a British paraglider pilot using (I think) Met Office data and a US-derived numerical model for making its predictions. I use it a lot, but don't be fooled by the pretty colours and hyper-accurate data. Currently it's predicting for Walton on the Naze 9mph northerly for 1300 Wednesday, going to 8mph north-north-east at 7pm. Make no mistake, NOTHING on this earth can predict weather to such a degree!

Have you considered the shipping forecast? It's on several times a day, updated twice, repeated every four hours on VHF and gives Sea Area, Inshore Waters, up-to-24-hours and 3-day forecasting, and you don't need a computer.

I find you can't beat the 4-day synoptics on the Met Office website for working out what the weekend is likely to do, cross checking just before leaving using XC weather, and keeping abreast of the shipping forecast as long as you're out there. Ellen McArthur and her ilk may use better sources, but for Thames Estuary and North Sea cruising the good old wireless can't be beat.

Marine Call won't tell you anything you can't get for free on the radio.

Regards, Mudhook

savageseadog

Visit site
No substitute for using a synoptic chart with all the isobars. The closer together the lines are the harder it will blow. It will give you a much better idea of how precarious the weather might be.
Good one here Bracknell 7 day Prognoses

markdj

www.stronge.org.uk
Hey, thanks for the vote of confidence /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My preference of choice is Ugrib free software coupled with the UK shipping forecast. Ugrib uses the GFS model predictions and is very accurate out to 7 days ahead. The UK shipping gives a good idea of sea state, smooth/slight/moderate etc.

XC Weather uses the NOAA WW3 model I think and wind predictions can be misleading. I use XC for viewing current conditions only.

Wind accuracy can be very very accurate to within 3 hours accuracy using Ugrib though of course the further you look ahead the timing get more inaccurate but the trends stay pretty much the same.