Marina Prices UK vs Contintental Europe

G

I was asked recently, by a friend from the USA, why marinas on the South Coast of UK cost a great deal more than on continental Europe and why they seem to get permission to building them so quickly.

My answer to the first question waffled around
o land prices in South UK are very high compared with Europe.
o Operating costs tend to be higher in the UK than elsewhere
o Profit targets are higher in the UK than Europe
o Many marinas in Europe are owned by local government rather than private companies.

My answer to the second question was the English unique planning system that makes it quite hard and costly to get permission to build.

Now what is the real reason or am I partly correct?

Pete

ParaHandy

Visit site
In UK marinas are owned by property companies and quality of investment is judged by rental income/capital and marinas do rather well in that regard.

One thought for you: I will retire soon with, I hope, a pension. Pension will increase with inflation but my berth has increased at 10%. After 10yrs pension will have increased by 20% but berth by 250% = can't afford boat, just at the time I am enjoying it. Lot of us in that position so should leave plenty of room for you youngsters and you might even see a price reduction *except* that costs are rising at 10% even with interest rates at lowest for 40yrs. If interest rates rise........?

I'm off to France asap......leave some room, please?

G

If I am young you must have been retired for many years!!!!Just renewed contract at Gosport, back in marina late March.

Pete

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I recently asked my marina manager to justify 8% increase for the forthcomming year in light of lowest interest rates and inflation for 30 plus years etc. also asked if he had an 8% salary increase this year. After a lot of waffle he admitted that the increase was what they thought the market would bear and they still have a waiting list. So there you go you pays your money and takes your choice.

RAG @ STICK

summerwind

Visit site
Its the basic price elasticity of demand law of econimics, if you can remember that far back. Any successful business will charge what the market will bear.

Your only answer is to not buy the product and change marinas, hoping that everyone else will do the same. Sad to say, they won't and its quite likely in current market conditions that your mooring will be snapped up by someone else. Now if things got harder, mortgage rates at 15% etc, you might find a reversal of the current situation.

IMHO France is the best bet, if you have the time to get there and back in the week-end.

ps. don't come to Devon, we are full ;-)

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I fully agree with your point regarding supply and I have advocated your view a number of times in print. However, in view of several recent events, and in particular the proposals for the new marina in Anglesey, I now think that this may not be the way forward, although I don't know what is.

In Anglesey the local authority, businesses, every local body, is fully behind the proposal. Environmental groups, with what many of us see as a wholly misleading justification, have lobbied the Welsh Assembly to such effect that they have put a hold on the development, despite their having no role in it. Similar problems have been reported for a number of other developments and even existing berthing facilities. Environmental concerns, which seems to mean bird habitat protection, now over-ride almost every application for construction projects, either on land or sea. I am a keen birdwatcher, but I feel that the power of this pressure group is such that their achievements are out of all proportion to the benefits of the developments they oppose.

DanTribe

Visit site
Surely the argument that marinas charge what the market will bear implies that they are all raking in loads of dosh.Given the general parlous state of the industry,is that the case?Should I invest my pension fund in one?
What does seem apparent is that,on the whole, continental marinas are friendlier,more efficient, in tune with customers needs AND cheaper.
Perhaps we should find out how they can do it rather than bash ours for not being as good.Some of my favourite harbours are in Holland where many are municipal or run as clubs. Is that the answer?

kingfisher

Visit site
Suply vs demand: size matters

As a 45 footer is now the norm, where a 31 footer was a large boat in the 70's, the space of four boats is now occupied by three floating caravans. Less people to pay for the same space.

Obi-Wan

Footpad

Visit site
Re: Invest in British Marinas?

A little while back I investigated investing money in a marina company (in a way that would profit me rather than the large sums we are forced to give them). I couldn't find one that was quoted on the Stock Exchange. MDL certainly did not seem to be. Any advice for would be investors?

PeterGibbs

Visit site
It is surprising to me that the obvious sites along the lower Thames have not been developed for boating - this would relieve the pressure in the heart of boat-owning country. Anyone making the trip to St Katherine's will have had the same thought as they drift up through the miles of rotting warves - places that are brought back to life on the Continent by local government that is pro-active in resources development because the demand for facilities makes itself felt.

As to the wrecking activities of self-styled conservationists, I fear we are passing through a phase in history when the beards and sandals managed to manipulate the planning process as their hobby. Apparently every species is threatened, and all countryside views are to be preserved for ever, as we all now know; development is always negative. It seems to me this situation arose only because of inertia on the part of water sportsmen in the past. This will only be balanced out when more back pressure is applied, but the RYA for one, has still to find a campaigning voice. Local clubs could do much more to right the balance; every one should have a local liaison officer managing relationships with local planning authorities. Building a more favourable climate by increasig the pressure on the legislators is the only way forward.

PWG