Marina Extension in Ipswich?

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
My late son berthed his boat at Neptune from 2018-20. I thought the staff were excellent though the berths were a little constricted by today's standards but it was slightly cheaper than the other Orwell marinas. I felt the infrastructure was a little careworn but acceptable for the price.

The waterfront (IMO) is a lost opportunity. If this was the Netherlands it would be a completely different environment. But Ipswich is not Amsterdam so I'm probably being unrealistic.

It will be interesting to see the proposals from ABP (when they appear).

With the sale of Neptune it's one less price option available for those who want a marina berth on the Orwell.

MikeBz

Visit site
From what’s been published they are going to get rid of Neptune Marina and relocate all the berths to the Haven side. ‘A spokesman for ABP said: "A key focus of our acquisition of Neptune is to improve the experience of berth owners.”’. From what those few owners who currently have spoken out have said it will do exactly the opposite.

curtius

Visit site

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thanks for the link, all is now explained. The biggest gripe I have with Ipswich dock is the removal of the floating pontoon inside the lock out of season. Had an eventful ‘moment’ hanging from the chains last November. Will make sure the pontoon is in place before entering next time.
I don't recall them removing the pontoon out of season, but i've only been here for one Winter and might not have noticed. They usually only remove it if a ship is coming in or going out. Maybe out for a while in the Winter for maintenance ?

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
The only possible downside I can think of is you are closer to the pubs restaurants and town at Neptune. Can be quite noisy at weekends though. Car parking space currently at ABP side could also be problem. But I expect they have a plan.

johnalison

Visit site
My only interest is as an occasional visitor, though my preference in recent years has been the Haven. The website describes the Neptune as an asset for the town, but in practice the necessary fencing means that the townspeople and visitors don’t really get to see or appreciate the boats in the way that I have seen in some continental harbours where yachts are very much part of the scene and not so far as I know subject to vandalism. From my limited point of view the chief concern is that the capacity should at least be retained.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
I've visited both marinas over the years... Despite the proximity of Neptune to Isaac's etc, I always found it quieter than Haven with a wedding party at the Last Anchor. Neptune facilities though are a route march being across the yard, involving crossing the road...

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
That's a great way to destroy an opportunity to revitalise a waterfront in a city, and make it attractive to visitors. Associated British Ports, owned by Canadians, Americans and Kuwait, obviously have no interest in their surroundings.
This is of course my opinion, YMMV, but I fail to see how this is good for Ipswich and the east coast boating community as a whole

johnalison

Visit site
It looks logical to me, which is not to say that I necessarily like it. If anything, I think it would improve the experience for non-sailing visitors to the dock, as they would be able to walk along the quayside with an uninterrupted view of the water. Some visitors to the marina will be a bit near the town, so Saturday evening might be lively, but with a bit of luck the visitors' berths will mostly be nearer the land end. The pontoons won't be any longer than many others, such as Titchmarsh, so crossed legs won't be needed.

Greg2

Visit site
It looks logical to me, which is not to say that I necessarily like it. If anything, I think it would improve the experience for non-sailing visitors to the dock, as they would be able to walk along the quayside with an uninterrupted view of the water. Some visitors to the marina will be a bit near the town, so Saturday evening might be lively, but with a bit of luck the visitors' berths will mostly be nearer the land end. The pontoons won't be any longer than many others, such as Titchmarsh, so crossed legs won't be needed.
+1
I heard some criticism that there was only one option presented but that is probably because there is only one option in reality to make best use of space. It looks okay to me and as you say, it should mean that fences can disappear on the other side and open up the waterfront without causing any security issues for boat owners.

I can imagine that current berth holders in Neptune won’t be too pleased because they will have chosen to be there instead of Haven, which is understandable.

dolabriform

freewheeling.world

+1
I heard some criticism that there was only one option presented but that is probably because there is only one option in reality to make best use of space. It looks okay to me and as you say, it should mean that fences can disappear on the other side and open up the waterfront without causing any security issues for boat owners.

I can imagine that current berth holders in Neptune won’t be too pleased because they will have chosen to be there instead of Haven, which is understandable.

Surely it's possible to keep the pontoons close to the waterfront, and create a secure environment? Places all over Europe seem to achieve this without an issue.

Enabling visitors to berth and step assure directly onto a bustling waterfront instead of having to trundle assure, walk out to the main road and then back in to the town must better for Ipswich to attract visitors?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Speaking to crew on the Thames Barges, they won't have room to turn them :(
From the ABP FAQ

5. The Sailing Barge Victor is berthed outside the Old Custom House and is important for the character of the Wet Dock but there isn’t enough space for turning in the proposals?

ABP is very willing to explore this further with the skipper of the Sailing Barge Victor. The proposal does provide up to 45m to swing the 25m-long vessel. ABP has already considered a number of options that could assist the Victor with manoeuvring in more challenging conditions.