Marina berthing etiquette

pkb

Visit site
In my marina I have an agreement with the guy next to me that if the wind is pushing us off as we come in it is perfectly acceptable to rest up aqainst the other boat - properly fendered of course - while we sort ourselves out. I have done likewise when visiting other marinas so always head into a berth with fenders on both sides. Not only is this entirely acceptable but its infinitely more boat friendly than manouevering wildly with engine gunning while you set yourself up for another try.

Peter

<hr width=100% size=1>

chriscallender

Visit site
Re: camera

Yes, I think I should invest in a couple of disposable cameras. for the car & boat. I did have a very similar road situation when I bumped a car when reversing last year. Very minor bump, no damage done to either vehicle apart from a bit of dirt transferred from my dirty bumper to his clean one!

Anyway the other driver tried to claim all sorts of things, my insurers had to appoint a solicitor at £175/hour to defend against the claim, many letters went back and forward, countless forms were filled in and he finally admitted that there was no damage to his vehicle or to himself. So the claim against me was withdrawn.

What a waste of time and money, when I would have described the cars as "touching" rather than bumping. OK it was completely my fault and I was careless but talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

duncan

Visit site
I think you are quite right.

There are enough unavoidable issues between the 2; as aired many times, in restricted waters etc but for 'expletive deleted' sake in a marina or anywhere help if you can should be the rule. If His entire 'crew' just sit drinking while you have to take a break from yours and help out then who looks silly to everyone else watching from a distance?
I think in general that it the message in most of the posts above as well.
We all know of exceptions however, and part of a summers evening boating can be putting out extra fenders, sitting down and pouring another cold one whilst watching the entertainment unfold...................

<hr width=100% size=1>

Oldhand

Visit site
Of the last 4 or 5 boats which have visted the next berth to mine, only one of them had fenders out on both sides. That one was also the only one who wished to discuss his departure with a severe crosswind and having advised him from my experience of his situation the departure was uneventful. Those who are not fendered for the possibility of ending up leaning on or hitting the neighbouring boat are not welcome as far as I am concerned.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Fair enough actually. In a new marina i would have a look, and if improperly fendered back off and give crew time to fender for pontoon , and for boat on t'other side. When leaving, before the off, make contact and discuss. it is all obvious really.

<hr width=100% size=1>

peterb

Visit site
Re: You need to look like you\'re doing it on purpose

I agree with you about the usefulness of a centre cleat line, but it depends on having two centre cleats, one on the boat and the other on the pontoon. Unfortunately, many pontoons don't have one. And they don't work very well on short pontoons.

Talking of short pontoons, have you noticed that the books always show a boat being berthed on a full length pontoon. I've yet to see a book or article showing the correct way of securing to a pontoon that only reaches back to the shrouds.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site

Wasn't going to get further involved in this one, but yes, it depends where the cleats on the pontoon are. Was told where to go by marina when arriving a month or so ago. Drowned rat, and peeing down with rain. They were cosily tucked up in office watching football.

Did what I always do single handed when marina won't respond on vhf and tucked myself on an empty pontoon for a few minutes. Walked to office, where in between offsides and corner shootouts, they told me where to berth. Happy with that, I took the boat back out in the peeing rain. Came alongside, jumped off with fore and aft strings, and stood there on pontoon. Wind blowing me off.

And stood there. Plenty of cleats on the opposite side, where I could have put them, but would have tripped up everyone on their way to several pontoons. Tried to run up and lassoo a cleat 10ft forward of the bows, success, and then run back the the cleat 10ft aft the stern, by which time the boat had drifted off towards the boats on the pontoons, so started pulling hard on the bow. Luckily someone passed by and gave a hand.

Knowledge taken away from that one. Almost impossible to moor on a pontoon with no handy cleats on pontoon when single handed. Should have used the cleats on far side and tripped up the idiots who didn't help me.

<hr width=100% size=1>Err, let me know if Depsol enters the forum, I'll go and hide

BrendanS

Visit site
I'm with you

Funny thing, I've never had any problems with the raggies I meet out on the water, and they've always assisted me when I've required it (usually helping out when I'm single handed and looking for somewhere to drink) and I've assisted many over the years (usually pulling them off when they've been grounded somewhere, or towing them in when engine dead). But I've done exactly the same with stinkies.

The issue I've always had has been with raggies in bars and at work who insist on looking down their nose at me. This has always slightened when I admit to being a closet raggie. But that's a bit like saying "I'm not all black, my grandfather was white"

When are raggies going to accept that some of us stinkies strive to learn rules of the road, understand lights at night, know how to keep clear of sailing boats when we're kicking up wash, avoid creating wash in harbours and marinas, stay clear of dinghies and raggies when racing, give a good clearance to anyone sailing, and try to be as considerate as possible.

We often kicked here no matter what we do.

Scuse me while I go and have another G&T!

<hr width=100% size=1>Err, let me know if Depsol enters the forum, I'll go and hide

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk

Completely with you on this. It is impossible to predict what kind of cleats you will find, or where they may be located. We encounter all sorts in Holland, from superbly set up pontoons at a decent height, with three cleats per finger (e.g. Colijnsplaat) to the average short, slightly shaky finger with one cleat on the end (e.g. Hellevoetsluis) to very narrow, shaky fingers with a hoop at the end (e.g. Dintelsas, Texel) to the worst yet, marina at the end of the canal coming from north into Lauwersoog, not a single cleat, hoop, bolt, ring or any other means of attachment in the whole, fairly large marina.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site

Brendan you were quite a bit too bloody polite to them. 'Come and take my lines' wold have been the right response!

<hr width=100% size=1>

andyhail

Visit site
I've have sailing the Blackwater for many years and decided to give the Crouch a go this year. There are a few nice/interesting spots but the thing that amazes me is the high number of motor cruisers. Spent most of yesterday trying to avoid the wake of the convoys of Mcruisers that insist on powering up just as the get to you.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site
Re: Crouch

Ah Radlett... I did my BCU novices' there in 1969. If only I'd known that would spark off a lifetime of bumping into sandbanks in sailing boats once I'd become the wrong shape for canoeing....

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Duck

Sandbanks! You 'aving a larf?

Banks of Romford sewage, mixed with the top soil washed off of the East Anglian grain farms and a variety of oyster, cockle, whelk and mussel shells discarded by assorted eateries.

Too thick to navigate. Too thin to cultivate.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

Gunfleet

Visit site
Re: Quack

Are you quacking up? That excuse of an impersonated Essex accent is horrible even from here. It's more... go on my son, git some of that dahn yer (while pushing the frottles forwards)

<hr width=100% size=1>
ps card carrying Essex denizen before anyone starts screaming 'unfair'!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by JohnM on 17/06/2003 01:11 (server time).</FONT></P>