mankey spray hood windows

Birdseye

Visit site
the local canvas place who repaced my sprayhood windows seem to have used a plastic that rapidly goes slightly tacky and discoloured round the edges. has anyone any recommendations for something to clean up this flexiblew plastic?

<hr width=100% size=1>this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

sailorman

Visit site
replace with "strataglas" expensive but buy cheap buy twice.
available from GO sailmakers
01206 38 44 12
110 COAST ROAD
WEST MERSEA
COLCHESTER
ESSEX
CO5 - 8NA

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
is it going brown?

That is what I was told would happen if you used tent windows in a salt water environment. We bought ours from C & J, but I think they have a minimum £300.00 order to joe public, we bought ours along with all the materials to make our new spray hood / cockpit tent.

You will prolly find some offcuts at a boat jumble.

<hr width=100% size=1>Julian

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk>
1.gif
</A>

walker

Visit site
My wife got some wonder stuff from the local MG garage to clear the plastic backscreen of her car that had gone all opaque. Worked a treat. Trouble is, it doesn't have a name on the bottle, but I imagine anywhere that deals with plastic windowed convertibles should be able to help. Keen's MG in Battersea is the dealer we got it from.

<hr width=100% size=1>

lydiamight

Visit site
Try to find some Plexus spray cleaner for plastic--originally developed for plexiglass aircraft canopies. I use it for the sprayhood windows, the screen on the m/c and the rear window on my convertible. Absolutely wonderful stuff.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site
You say it goes discoloured around the dges - is it discoloured between the plastic and canvas? If so, it will be the doublesided tape that is used to fix the new window to the old canvas prior to sewing.
I've just replaced the plastic on mine, using double sided tape and UV resistant clear plastic from Pointnorth.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Birdseye

Visit site
Thats exactly what it is doing Jools.

Trouble is, the canvas work is on its last legs so it isnt (and wasnt) worth doing a pukka job on the window replacement. Think I'll try the classic car window polish stuff and consign the covers to winter only use.

But there's a lesson here for any other cheepo on the forum.

<hr width=100% size=1>this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.