Mallaig marina

LittleShip

Visit site
Couple of things mentioned here that could need clarification.

1. Half price for last night in Tarbert is normally for the third night and not available if it's one of the festive weekends.
2. Tarbert will allow a short stay to restock the boat no charge for about 1hr
3. Portavadie don't charge for a short stay (I think that's 4 hours) and allow use of their facilities. The new leisure complex however does need to be paid for.
4. The more relaxed view in Tarbert is probably due to the competition across the water in PV.

Although my home port is PV we do visit and stay overnight in Tarbert and have always found it very welcoming although I feel they should have a frequent visitors discount available.

Tom.

ianj99

Visit site
Couple of things mentioned here that could need clarification.

1. Half price for last night in Tarbert is normally for the third night and not available if it's one of the festive weekends.
2. Tarbert will allow a short stay to restock the boat no charge for about 1hr
3. Portavadie don't charge for a short stay (I think that's 4 hours) and allow use of their facilities. The new leisure complex however does need to be paid for.
4. The more relaxed view in Tarbert is probably due to the competition across the water in PV.

Although my home port is PV we do visit and stay overnight in Tarbert and have always found it very welcoming although I feel they should have a frequent visitors discount available.

Tom.

I had the boat out the water at PV for a month in 2014 having the hull slurry blasted, some welding done and several coats of epoxy & AF. The staff were excellent as are the facilities and with great weather, it was hard work but enjoyable + the dog enjoyed her daily walks along the loch side.

Had Tarbert been full, I'd certainly not have hesitated is choosing PV: their very reasonable long term berthing rates are no doubt thanks to Tarbert's low prices.

The weather here is often significantly drier and sunnier that further north (Oban), although Ardfern / Loch Craignish has its own micro climate which often see the sun out when its dull & miserable just a few miles further north.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Had Tarbert been full, I'd certainly not have hesitated is choosing PV: their very reasonable long term berthing rates are no doubt thanks to Tarbert's low prices.

I think it's probably more a result of Portavadie being in the arse end of nowhere. Their annual rates are practically the same as Port Bannatyne's: £259.15/m vs £258. Similarly the east-coast-of-the-Clyde marinas - Kip, Largs, Troon - are all fairly close in price.

I think Portavadie is a great place to go, but I don't think that long term berths are their principal market. They seem much more determined to become a visitor destination, and I think they are succeeding.

ianj99

Visit site
I think Portavadie is a great place to go, but I don't think that long term berths are their principal market. They seem much more determined to become a visitor destination, and I think they are succeeding.

Yes, they are promoting the whole complex as a holiday destination with lets, a bunk house etc.

Its a great place for motorhome owners as well as seaborne visitors to have a few days stop-over.

For long term berth holders it almost a Tarbert overflow location because its not easy to get to by road.

Its said that the PV complex owners created and run it as a tax loss - makes sense investing in their property and offsetting the costs against tax whilst providing benefits to the area as a visitor attraction and creating employment, directly and indirectly. An example that more of the very wealthy should follow...

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
For long term berth holders it almost a Tarbert overflow location because its not easy to get to by road.

At least unlike Port Bannatyne it's possible to get to by road, though a fair old grind. 90 miles from George Square - 12 miles and 12 minutes quicker than Tarbert, if the AA Route Planner is to be believed. That's a fair old trek for a Friday evening!

There is a reasonable bus service these days between Dunoon, Colintraive, Tighnabruiach and Portavadie. I had to get to Tighnabruiach by public transport 25 or so years ago and the only way was to take a stupidly early ferry from Gourock to Dunoon and then an 8am post bus which took something like three and a half hours to get there. The Waverley was a better option when she was running.