Maintenance Manual Recommendations

Groucho

Visit site
As a new would-be boat owner, I think I am going to need some source of information about maintenance and how to fix stuff of all sorts (engine, electronics, deck gear -everything). YouTube is very useful but WiFi is not always available and I want something comprehensive and up to date. Don Casey's book and the Nigel Calder book both get good reviews on Amazon but which is better? Or are there other options?

Refueler

Visit site
I don't personally think any one book is better than another when it comes to general maintenance ... but there are many out there ...

Unfortunately the one I often refer to - is with the GRP guy repairing my keel ...

I have a shelf of books - based on not only personal wants - but as reference for my days surveying yachts .. and the one factor that covers the whole ? Each boat / situation / need is different and it will often be a different book that supplies the better answer.

When I lived in UK - I used to like browsing in book shops .. and amazed at how many books were there for yachts and general boating. Many people just sift through the Chandlers Book Shelf ... honestly - there are far more books out there ! A favourite book store of mine was in Arundel .. an old boosk store just down from the Castle wall and before getting to the junction / bridge over the river. An absolute treasure of a shop.

Groucho

Visit site
Does the boat have a 'manual' from the manufacture. Type of boat, make, model, etc will get some better answers.
Thanks for this suggestion. I suspect it does, and that if the vendor can't supply it, I can find it on the internet. I will certainly start there but since the boat is fairly old (early 90s) I suspect quite a lot of what is on it is not original, too.

Groucho

Visit site
Thanks for this suggestion. I suspect it does, and that if the vendor can't supply it, I can find it on the internet. I will certainly start there but since the boat is fairly old (early 90s) I suspect quite a lot of what is on it is not original, too.
It's a Parker 275, by the way.

johnalison

Visit site
Many years ago I went on a diesel maintenance course run by a boatyard service agent. It was only one day, but was well worth it to me, as someone not used to doing any more than topping up my car's oil occasionally. Unless you are familiar with engines, it is a good way of clarifying was at first appears to be a random assortment of pipes and wires, as well as picking up tips about how to go about certain tasks, such as bleeding the fuel.

Groucho

Visit site
Many years ago I went on a diesel maintenance course run by a boatyard service agent. It was only one day, but was well worth it to me, as someone not used to doing any more than topping up my car's oil occasionally. Unless you are familiar with engines, it is a good way of clarifying was at first appears to be a random assortment of pipes and wires, as well as picking up tips about how to go about certain tasks, such as bleeding the fuel.
Ah. Good suggestion. So good, in fact, that I am ahead of you: I have already arranged that this is what my wife is getting me for Christmas! (Not booked yet, though).

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I find the Nigel Calder book to be good at describing the equipment, how it works, etc but pretty poor at fault finding. There are many diesel engine books, for example the Pat Manley one, that are far more helpful when trying to find solutions to problems

ashtead

Visit site
As an aside for sorce of info while I don’t know your location there are secondhand book shops with nautical sections -one such is based in Cowes but I guess others might exist. As a non technical boat owner for some 20 odd years a few thoughts which might help knowledge:-
1 find a mechanic who will visit your boat and help service engine -it will take him longer and while you may get a degree of plumber type behaviour with criticism of whoever last serviced worked on diesel if you select a trusted mechanic based on personal recommendations it might help spot any issues on your diesel that to the regular boater lik me even if I can change oil and filters if pushed might not be spotted. So get this trusted chap(they tend to be blokes who have set up on own with a van to travel to your location ) and might even tell you where to buy best filters in advance as opposed to rip off volvo dealer prices So you have bits -he will also have views on oils and coolants etc. you don’t say which diesel you have but a separate question on any queries will elicit loads of comments on forum;
2 for tasks like water pipe replacement (eg replacing heads pipes) again while books can help again a few quid spent with a general boat maintained chap might help eg removing the pipe etc;
3 for rigging I would tend to consult a known sailmaker for suggestions;
4 you might find others at your club or marina have a list of such experts eg someone who can show you how to do a grp repair if large or change an anode or whatever;
5as to books some can be quite scary for novice -I guess it depends on the complexity of task -some books rate tasks
6 a lot on a boat ie finding things and how the services route can be very specific to make so general books give an idea but there is a risk you end up searching for something which isn’t on your boat and getting worried about absence even though there is actually no issue;
7look at adverts for your type of boat online as this can sometimes give ideas etc ;
8 if interested in plotters then contact raymarine say to see if any day trading courses on their kit being run -I found a day course on their radar helpful but they also had one on plotter use;
Good luck with finding reliable tradesmen though as in the marine world customer centricity in some suppliers can be as rare as a unicorn but also ask for views on any third party you plan to consult.

Refueler

Visit site
As an aside for sorce of info while I don’t know your location there are secondhand book shops with nautical sections -one such is based in Cowes but I guess others might exist. As a non technical boat owner for some 20 odd years a few thoughts which might help knowledge:-
1 find a mechanic who will visit your boat and help service engine -it will take him longer and while you may get a degree of plumber type behaviour with criticism of whoever last serviced worked on diesel if you select a trusted mechanic based on personal recommendations it might help spot any issues on your diesel that to the regular boater lik me even if I can change oil and filters if pushed might not be spotted. So get this trusted chap(they tend to be blokes who have set up on own with a van to travel to your location ) and might even tell you where to buy best filters in advance as opposed to rip off volvo dealer prices So you have bits -he will also have views on oils and coolants etc. you don’t say which diesel you have but a separate question on any queries will elicit loads of comments on forum;
[/QUOTE]

Most Marina's will restrict outside workers coming to your boat ... I know Marina's that will actually charge you the add on commission they get from on-site guys you don't use !
2 for tasks like water pipe replacement (eg replacing heads pipes) again while books can help again a few quid spent with a general boat maintained chap might help eg removing the pipe etc;
[/QUOTE]

Again - if outside worker ... but if fellow boat owner with knowledge then yes.
3 for rigging I would tend to consult a known sailmaker for suggestions;
[/QUOTE]

Again - if outside worker ...
4 you might find others at your club or marina have a list of such experts eg someone who can show you how to do a grp repair if large or change an anode or whatever;
5as to books some can be quite scary for novice -I guess it depends on the complexity of task -some books rate tasks
6 a lot on a boat ie finding things and how the services route can be very specific to make so general books give an idea but there is a risk you end up searching for something which isn’t on your boat and getting worried about absence even though there is actually no issue;
7look at adverts for your type of boat online as this can sometimes give ideas etc ;
8 if interested in plotters then contact raymarine say to see if any day trading courses on their kit being run -I found a day course on their radar helpful but they also had one on plotter use;
Good luck with finding reliable tradesmen though as in the marine world customer centricity in some suppliers can be as rare as a unicorn but also ask for views on any third party you plan to consult.

Save repeating .. Marinas want you to use the on-site guys - if the on-site guys have work - they pay rent etc. - some have to pay % commission .. so Marina's are usually not favourable to outside guys coming in ... also when you really need that on-site guy - he may not be so accommodating knowing bread and butter work is not his !

Alicatt

Visit site
For fibreglass I have a 3rd edition hardback book "Fibreglass Boats" by Hugo de Plessis from 1996 from when I had my last boat, and a more modern 5th edition on Kindle
and Modern Boat Maintenance by Bo Streiffert from 1996, it goes over everything in not much detail though.
All published by Allard Coles Nautical

The mechanic we all use has his boat moored two boats behind mine, his boat is 92 years old and has a preservation order on it, it was originally built in England and he is finding it difficult to get parts for it in imperial sizes :)
He runs a boat repair business in another town beside one of the main canals.