mac or slug - which is uglier

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
spot on woodlouse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlouse
One way you could also look at it is this:

If you were making a programme about a road trip to some lovely out of the way places do you think you'd get a wider audience from doing the trip in a Morris Traveller or a Ford Focus?

Lots more people own Fords, but I doubt they've any interest in watching them on the telly.

what I should be sailing is a wooden classic of some sort - it would look a lot better and I could meet so many wonderful craftsmen who would repair it as I went around the UK.

The thing that the slug does bring to the table is that most valuable asset of all

- cheapness

Dylan

Woodlouse

Visit site
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlouse
One way you could also look at it is this:

If you were making a programme about a road trip to some lovely out of the way places do you think you'd get a wider audience from doing the trip in a Morris Traveller or a Ford Focus?

Lots more people own Fords, but I doubt they've any interest in watching them on the telly.

what I should be sailing is a wooden classic of some sort - it would look a lot better and I could meet so many wonderful craftsmen who would repair it as I went around the UK.

The thing that the slug does bring to the table is that most valuable asset of all

- cheapness

Dylan
What you should be sailing is a Fairey Atalanta. Ugly as sin, bags of character to keep the current fans happy. An Uffa Fox design and made of cold moulded plywood to keep the classic fans happy. Twin lifting keels so you only have a 1 foot draft so you can keep the ditch crawlers happy. And for you, an aft double cabin for your comfort sleeping. A nice centre cockpit for comfort when sailing. A saloon with no keel box in the middle (twin keels swing up under the seats) for your comfort when eating and finally a heads for your comfort when sh*tting.

There. I've just solved all your problems.:D

Seems like £4-7000 is the going rate though...

dylanwinter

it is a perfect plan - with only one minor flaw

What you should be sailing is a Fairey Atalanta. Ugly as sin, bags of character to keep the current fans happy. An Uffa Fox design and made of cold moulded plywood to keep the classic fans happy. Twin lifting keels so you only have a 1 foot draft so you can keep the ditch crawlers happy. And for you, an aft double cabin for your comfort sleeping. A nice centre cockpit for comfort when sailing. A saloon with no keel box in the middle (twin keels swing up under the seats) for your comfort when eating and finally a heads for your comfort when sh*tting.

There. I've just solved all your problems.:D

Seems like £4-7000 is the going rate though...

I think your logic is almost impeccable - just a couple of minor flaws

actually make that two minor flaws

I am not fit person to own two wooden boats - I already have one and the slug

I would lose a lot of sailing time maintaining the Atalanta to a standrad to keep the purists happy.

keeping it in continuous commission for a decade - as will happen with KTL and the slug - would kill the boat and I would earn the hate of every true wooden boat owner

the only way to do it would be to have two - one being maintained by a crack team of wooden boat experts while I sail the other one and then swap threm over over three months.

and finally

If I sold the slug for £2,000 I am still £2,000 to "£5,000 away from being able to afford even the one let alone the crack three man boat mainatenance team I would need.

However, I am sure that there is a solution somewhere

Dylan

robp

Visit site
I had a Mirror Offshore and therefore look fondly at them. I actually do think they are quite pretty! Although admittedly they have been described as "small motor boats, with auxilliary sails" :)

Built to Lloyds 100A1 though.

Sorry to hear about the engine bill! I was lucky, an ex Whale Island, RN retiree hoiked it out with the aid of some scaffold poles in a field and then found that the noise was the woodruff key allowing the flywheel to knock! (Volvo MD1).

Not much else to go wrong now though?

Hard to argue with that and the grounding ability. (Even unplanned groundings)! You probably don't do that but the Mac probably wouldn't take kindly to it.

Woodlouse

Visit site
I think your logic is almost impeccable - just a couple of minor flaws

actually make that two minor flaws

I am not fit person to own two wooden boats - I already have one and the slug

I would lose a lot of sailing time maintaining the Atalanta to a standrad to keep the purists happy.

keeping it in continuous commission for a decade - as will happen with KTL and the slug - would kill the boat and I would earn the hate of every true wooden boat owner

the only way to do it would be to have two - one being maintained by a crack team of wooden boat experts while I sail the other one and then swap threm over over three months.

and finally

If I sold the slug for £2,000 I am still £2,000 to "£5,000 away from being able to afford even the one let alone the crack three man boat mainatenance team I would need.

However, I am sure that there is a solution somewhere

Dylan
I did realise the price would be an obstacle.

But I'm afraid your ideas of what it takes to maintain a classic boat are extraordinary. If not then I must be almost superhuman...

D

DavidTav

In all of your videos which I have viewed, not that many I admit, you always seem to be alone. This makes me think, maybe incorrectly, that your SWMBO is like mine and not keen on sailing. So if your SWMBO is in favour of buying the Macgregor and is more likely to go boating with you more often then undoubtedly it is a good idea. I have no idea if they are any good but they are jolly big inside and well priced.

dylanwinter

billy no mates

In all of your videos which I have viewed, not that many I admit, you always seem to be alone. This makes me think, maybe incorrectly, that your SWMBO is like mine and not keen on sailing. So if your SWMBO is in favour of buying the Macgregor and is more likely to go boating with you more often then undoubtedly it is a good idea. I have no idea if they are any good but they are jolly big inside and well priced.

Jill does sail with me - but only in the summer when its too hot to be ashore

you will need to watch more films

I sail right through the year - six or eight days a month and that is too much sailing for her and too cold

so whatever the boat she would not sail more than she does now

Dylan

Ru88ell

Visit site
Slightly OT - I was in Wells today and took a stroll along to the boatyard to worship at the bow of The Slug. I've never met anything that famous before. :D

dylanwinter

any money in the boat will be wasted

He'll appreciate the coppers you tossed into the cockpit. :D

any cash found in the slug will be utterly wasted on sailing - although at the moment the slug has a lovely tonneau over the cockpit to keep the worst of the rain out.

I am planning to movethe slgella around to wisbech as soon as the weather comes right

by the way I won't be buying a mac - although if they offered me one free of charge and expenses thrown in then obviously that would be another matter entirely

I do think that I might get more viewers if I used a more popular or pretty boat

of course it should really be a 22 foot crabber - the one with the diesel inboard

D

dylanwinter

never done anything new in my life

Already been done, "One Summer's Grace" by Paul Heiney & Libby Purves with their 2 young kids. Sailed around UK in 1989 in Grace O'Malley a Cornish Crabber(?). They wrote quite a nice book about it. Not much headroom in them either.

and it certainly is a most excellent book

I guess its more about how you react to what you see that whether or not some-one has done the same journey in a similar boat

I would guess that I would find some different things to film and to write about than libby did 20 years ago. Apart from anything else the Uk is a different place today than what it was 20 years ago

coastguards, windfarms, GPS, mobile phones

Dylan

Sybarite

Visit site
I think that the Mirror has a lovely sheer line.

My feeling about the Mac is visceral, backed by the fact that there were some well reported accidents in the past.

If you were to change the slug and wanted better performamce and yet keep that traditional look - which I think your following appreciate, I would consider either a Corribee or a Folkboat.

avole

Visit site

My feeling about the Mac is visceral, backed by the fact that there were some well reported accidents in the past.

If you were to change the slug and wanted better performamce and yet keep that traditional look - which I think your following appreciate, I would consider either a Corribee or a Folkboat.
What accidents were those? I was considering a MacGregor to do the canals in France followed by some time on the coastal waters of the med.

dylanwinter

good suggestions but....

gotta be bilge keel or that would be the end of the ditch crawling and cheap places to stay -

I also think that the slug is probably a bit tougher than a corribbee - separate heads and ability to stand while cooking also important to me - but I agree a bilge keel corribbee would fit the ticket

- not aht I am likely to jump ship unless I suddenly encounter an unexpected flow of funds

I guess a couple of trips to Holland could certainly help to finance a few miles

D

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
gotta be bilge keel or that would be the end of the ditch crawling and cheap places to stay -

I also think that the slug is probably a bit tougher than a corribbee - separate heads and ability to stand while cooking also important to me - but I agree a bilge keel corribbee would fit the ticket

- not aht I am likely to jump ship unless I suddenly encounter an unexpected flow of funds

I guess a couple of trips to Holland could certainly help to finance a few miles

D

& free board & keep if you get caught . . . but not many chances to go sailing.