Ludham bridge

Portland Billy

Visit site
Does anyone know the EXACT headroom of this bridge on the river Ant.

The indicator boards seem to indicate less than is actual. Today they were indicating 8ft but the clearance seemed about a foot more.
I have air draught of 8ft 6ins and believe I should be OK for most states of tide.

Plum

Visit site
Does anyone know the EXACT headroom of this bridge on the river Ant.

The indicator boards seem to indicate less than is actual. Today they were indicating 8ft but the clearance seemed about a foot more.
I have air draught of 8ft 6ins and believe I should be OK for most states of tide.
Hi. I visited a few years ago and as part of my research I found the info below from here
http://the-norfolk-broads.co.uk/fileattachments/l/ludham_bridge_heights.jpg

ludham_bridge_heights_resize_69.jpg

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

The Q

Visit site
If you wish to go through there on the 3rd of June this year you'll find a large proportion of 100 dinghies, keel boats and yachts, turning at a buoy just downriver of the bridge. It's the first day of the 3 River Race 2023. If winds are in their normal range the main body of boats will be there from 12:00 to 16:00.

Tidal range is interesting on the broads , a northerly wind round to easterly gives higher than normal high tides. A southerly through westerly gives lower than normal tides.
High air pressure lowers the water levels, low air pressure raises water levels.

In ultimate extremes.
A northerly for several days plus spring tides plus heavy rain plus low air pressure can raise water levels by a couple of feet and we get floods.
A southerly for several days , plus low tides, plus high air pressure, and no rain can lower water levels by a couple of feet.

And finally in this musing. The water through ludham bridge is tidal. On average tides Ludham bridge is 4hours behind low tide Great Yarmouth ( 3 hours behind GY yacht station)
This site does a good tide prediction for the broads
Norfolk-Broads.org click on Norfolk broads, click on tides, then select the day you want. The week printout display is particularly useful.

The Q

Visit site
Ludham bridge is about 6 miles by river from the Hunters yard, and everything Hunters have will go under just about any bridge at all states of tide. So I doubt they have ever paid attention to bridge heights.

There is no camera on Ludham bridge, the phone lines are too poor, but there is one on Potter Heigham bridge here,
Norfolk Broads Webcam
Comparison of the bridge height there on the day against its picture and measurements on the same Norfolk broads website as the pictures with measurements above, will give you a very good idea of the water levels of the day.

Slowboat35

Visit site
I imagine the boards are deliberately set to be 6 inches on the pessimistic side to try to reduce the number of clever-clever chancers who fondly imagine they know their air-draft to the nearest inch.

The Q

Visit site
I'd have said an inaccurate gauge increases the liability which ever way it's out as folk are more likely to try if they know it's wrong.
It's for the hire boaters, most hire boats have a clearance height on a plate by the helm position. The tourists generally don't know about the inaccurate height gauges unless they are regulars.
The private boaters do know about the difference, but know it's their own fault if they take the risk..
The height clearance plates often have a margin of safety built into their measurements as well.