Looks like I'm going to be a boat owner again ....

capnsensible

Visit site
I became besotted with cruising boats at the age of 4 on my parents Kingfisher 20+ ... that's the beauty of boating, there's enjoyment at every budget.

I might change where the gangplank is attached, will leave it for a bit first .... it was awkward to get onto with the bathing platform up.
Passarelle is the word to look up when you change things around. There are a number of different designs. Can be finger biters so use with care!

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
What furling/stowage arrangements have you got for the mainsail? Can’t quite see from the pix.
Roller furling with continuous line to a powered winch by the companionway. I think it has vertical battens but I need to confirm that .... if it doesn't, it will have soon. Looks like I can reef the main and the genoa from left of the companionway ... the buttons for the electric genoa furling (red & green) are next to the button for the cabin-top winch which furls the main.

1717085650255.jpeg
1717085683113.jpeg

PS: That pin through the anchor shank has got to go, as has the anchor.

Last edited:

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Normal in the Med because you can get more boats in and there are no tides to worry about. You soon get used to it and boats are designed to be boarded that way rather than climbing over the side.
When it really gets to be fun is when there's the normal row along the quay, then another row with their bows tucked between, then another row. People aren't designed to board that way, though!

benjenbav

Visit site
Roller furling with continuous line to a powered winch by the companionway. I think it has vertical battens but I need to confirm that .... if it doesn't, it will have soon. Looks like I can reef the main and the genoa from left of the companionway ... the buttons for the electric genoa furling (red & green) are next to the button for the cabin-top winch which furls the main.

View attachment 177766
View attachment 177767

PS: That pin through the anchor shank has got to go, as has the anchor.
Better and better 👍

Baggywrinkle

Visit site
Very happy for you and wish you years of pleasure.
Well done BW....that boat looks in remarkable condition....almost New Old Stock (if it was a car part 🤣)
Thanks, I am still pinching myself ... to stumble across this was a bit of good luck, and to be the first to get to view her was even better. This is going to be my last boat, I've got 3 years to put in solar, lithium, watermaker, and then it's off into retirement ... so I'm on cloud 9 at the moment. Hope the survey doesn't bring me down to earth with a bump. 😬

Tranona

Visit site
Is that their version of "rafting up"
Yes, and discouraged. Quay walls are limited spaces and you can get 2-3 times as many boats end on with each having their direct5 access ashore. Most boats have high topsides which makes boarding difficult whereas stern boarding through a sugar scoop or platform is now almost universal in modern boats. Form and function.

Tranona

Visit site
Thanks, I am still pinching myself ... to stumble across this was a bit of good luck, and to be the first to get to view her was even better. This is going to be my last boat, I've got 3 years to put in solar, lithium, watermaker, and then it's off into retirement ... so I'm on cloud 9 at the moment. Hope the survey doesn't bring me down to earth with a bump. 😬
Great basis for long distance cruising with plenty of space and sailing performance. Think carefully before you go down the vertical batten route as it is often not all it is cracked up to be. The boat already has a high SA/Displ ratio at 24 compared with the cruiser version at 20 courtesy of the lead keel and slightly higher Bal/Disp at 33 compared with 31. That was the philosophy behind the Vision design (like the earlier Oceans) Greater displacement, more ballast, bigger rig. Battened furling mainsails are very expensive and difficult to handle, particularly if you use one of the better sailcloths. I went through this process with my 33 and all the sailmakers, including Elvestrom who make Bavaria OE sails advised against battens for normal cruising use as the marginal gain is barely noticeable compared with a plain sail made of a more stable cloth than the normal Dacron. Kemps made the sail using Vectran with some roach supported by a Spectra reinforced leech. In the season I had it before I sold the boat it really did perform as expected - better pointing, less leeway and easy reefing/furling.

Suggest you sail for a couple of seasons with what you have before committing to a new sail. Of course it may already have a battened sail - it was an option when new so the above may be academic!

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Yes, and discouraged. Quay walls are limited spaces and you can get 2-3 times as many boats end on with each having their direct5 access ashore. Most boats have high topsides which makes boarding difficult whereas stern boarding through a sugar scoop or platform is now almost universal in modern boats. Form and function.
I was referring to end-on parking! I'll consult my sailing mate, but I think it may have been just once on flotilla to Monemvasia in 1987. And it doesn't take much of a swell to make it untenable.

Baggywrinkle

Visit site
Great basis for long distance cruising with plenty of space and sailing performance. Think carefully before you go down the vertical batten route as it is often not all it is cracked up to be. The boat already has a high SA/Displ ratio at 24 compared with the cruiser version at 20 courtesy of the lead keel and slightly higher Bal/Disp at 33 compared with 31. That was the philosophy behind the Vision design (like the earlier Oceans) Greater displacement, more ballast, bigger rig. Battened furling mainsails are very expensive and difficult to handle, particularly if you use one of the better sailcloths. I went through this process with my 33 and all the sailmakers, including Elvestrom who make Bavaria OE sails advised against battens for normal cruising use as the marginal gain is barely noticeable compared with a plain sail made of a more stable cloth than the normal Dacron. Kemps made the sail using Vectran with some roach supported by a Spectra reinforced leech. In the season I had it before I sold the boat it really did perform as expected - better pointing, less leeway and easy reefing/furling.

Suggest you sail for a couple of seasons with what you have before committing to a new sail. Of course it may already have a battened sail - it was an option when new so the above may be academic!
As always, sound advice .... I was advised against vertical battens by Crusader who made the sails for my last boat for the same reason ... I intend to run it for a season anyway to get the upgrade priority sorted out. (y)

E39mad

Visit site
Whilst I like the idea I would have thought vertical battens make the possibility of "bunching" or a jam within the mast more likely. It's going to "bulk" the sail out when furled inside the mast. Usually not a lot a wiggle room in there.

Personally I would just get a very good sailmaker to make a well cut main.

dunedin

Visit site
Whilst I like the idea I would have thought vertical battens make the possibility of "bunching" or a jam within the mast more likely. It's going to "bulk" the sail out when furled inside the mast. Usually not a lot a wiggle room in there.

Personally I would just get a very good sailmaker to make a well cut main.
Except the best sailmakers in the world can't make a sail set efficiently without battens. North 3D laminate sails have battens. We have vertical battens in our jib for the same reason.

E39mad

Visit site
Except the best sailmakers in the world can't make a sail set efficiently without battens. North 3D laminate sails have battens. We have vertical battens in our jib for the same reason.

Maybe, but this is a cruising boat and there is still a worthwhile difference between an old "baggy" roller furling mainsail and a well cut new one.

Edit: as an ex-racer of competitive boats I understand the desire to go as swiftly/efficiently as possible but when cruising it should not be at the expense of potential problems with systems.