Looking ahead.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
A few years ago I was told that if a yacht leaves the EU for more than three years it will be liable for VAT on re-entry. Does this rule (if true) still stand? It follows that after BREXIT (apologies for mentioning the word) UK registered yachts/ boats would be liable for VAT on returning to the UK after three years in the EU! Furthermore, UK yachts would have the same status as non EU vessels have at the present time (or now). I could mention a few other problems (selling a boat to a non UK resident for example) but I don't want to bore everybody.

I presume the correct answer is "Nobody Knows" what will happen in 2019.
How old is the boat?

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
A few years ago I was told that if a yacht leaves the EU for more than three years it will be liable for VAT on re-entry. Does this rule (if true) still stand? It follows that after BREXIT (apologies for mentioning the word) UK registered yachts/ boats would be liable for VAT on returning to the UK after three years in the EU! Furthermore, UK yachts would have the same status as non EU vessels have at the present time (or now). I could mention a few other problems (selling a boat to a non UK resident for example) but I don't want to bore everybody.

My web site gives a fairly complete story about how Customs Zone regulations apply to boats, and the many exceptions which mean the 3 year rule will not apply if the boat hasn't changed ownership while outside the zone. See [url]http://www.jimbsail.info/going-foreign/docs-and-VAT#VAT[/URL]. That page includes links to relevant HMRC pages.