Long term storage as a result of Covid

paulrack

Visit site
I own a 2015 Prestige 500 fly which I had aimed to use for a few months a year in Europe. I purchased the boat in 2018 and in 2019 we went up the French Coast for a family holiday in June/July. In late august 2019 I went over and delivered it 3000km to a marina in the Northern Adriatic in Italy. I had all the engines, pods, generator and Seakeeper Gyro all serviced and the water tanks emptied. A biocide was also added to the fuel tanks. She was then put in storage in a warehouse ready for my return in 2020. Given Covid and the travel bans we were unable to visit from South Africa in 2020 and it is also looking highly unlikely for 2021. I am needing advice on the challenge of long term storage without being able to start the engines for such a long period of time. Is this a cause for concern and is there anything else I should be doing? The motors are Volvo IPS600's. Any advice would be appreciated.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
I am sure that 99% of the boat's systems will be fine. Batteries would be my initial concern. Are they on or off, if on what drain is on them, and have they been given an occasional charge. Worst case scenario, a new set of batteries might be needed. Next would be fuel. With biocode, I reckon it will be fine. Worst case scenario, drain tanks and refill. Cant really think of much else that will be an issue with indoor storage in a southern climate. Engines will be just fine, maybe change impellers as a precaution as they have sat in one position and may have set.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
From what I read here, it best to just leave the engines. Even if you could somehow run enough water through the engines they would have to be run for some time to completely warm up or condensation will give you even more problems.
Many of us are in the same situation and I can’t really see a 2 year store period being any different from a 1 year store
As madabouttheboat says batteries are a problem, I’m expecting to have to replace. My boat‘s in the water so anode replacement will have to be done

Last edited:

paulrack

Visit site
Thanks so much, that is comforting. The boat is plugged into mains power for about a day a month to top up the batteries. I have recently replaced the house batteries and will look at replacing the engine start batteries and thruster batteries just before I finally get to launch. Good point on impellors, will change those before I launch as well. I guess I am very lucky to at least be stored indoors for all this time.