London Boat Show

ChattingLil

Visit site
yer, well, I AM sarf of de A127.

I fowt i recognised myself, you, Clive and Bru for starters. How else would you describe Laurin's crew but as up-market chavs - did you see the pictures of the kids on the mobos?! lol!! :cool:

Anyway, fwiw, I actually enjoyed LIBS. I went with Marc, Taran, Paul and PJ. We met up with Clive in the morning and then a couple of other friends in the afternoon. We paid a tenner per ticket, which was OK by us (Taran goes free), a tenner to park all day + a fiver's worth of petrol - bargain day out really. We looked at the interiors of mobos to get an idea of accomodation size if we do go with the liveaboard idea. Looked at Ming Ming. Looked at the dinghies, outboards and other equipment. Looked at mattresses, hatches, sails and other gadgets and gizmos. Bought new sunglasses for our BVI trip (yippee) bought sunnies for Taran cos he's off to Aus in the summer. Browsed the bookstalls. Marc bought deck shoes. Looked at deck paints and took some advice. Spoke to charter companies, marinas and brokers. Oohed at the hovercraft. Ate our packed lunches at comfortable tables. bought reasonably priced drinks. Found everything we were looking for and didn't feel like we were walking around in circles (like I do at SIBS, where I always get lost and can never find what I'm looking for).

I think it will be a shame if the show closes becuase it works for us. Admittedly we are right on the doorstep and this is the main reason we go. If I had to travel to it, I'd think twice - as I do re SIBS.

FullCircle

Visit site
yer, well, I AM sarf of de A127.

Madam is a Kentish Maiden, and the rest of those you describe are all North of the A127.

MoodySabre is in the pocket enclave that is the exception which proves the rule.

Funny that I like SIBS much much better,and I can almost find suppliers without looking. Must have been going too long. Only thing they have moved is the Guinness tent which is too far out of the way for me to bother now.

NUTMEG

www.theblindsailor.co.uk
I don't think I did talk it down, the facts speak for themselves, and I am free to express my own personal experience. Boat show numbers have been decreasing at Excel way before the 'crunch' each year. Ever since the move from Earls Court.

Here are some figures from wikipedia. IIRC figures for those actually buying tickets are lower than those quoted here. The last year or so would preseumably have included people going to see the bike show as well.

2002 154,211 ABC audited
2003 145,845 ABC audited Last year at Earl's Court
2004 213,801 ABC audited First year at ExCeL
2005 154,041 ABC audited
2006 140,000 [1] (unaudited)
2007 130,000 National Boat Shows press release, 14 January 2007 (unaudited)
2008 127,251 ABC audited
2009 112,000 National Boat Shows press release, 18 January 2009 (unaudited)
2010 102,655 National Boat Shows press release, 17 January 2010 (unaudited)
2011 109,778 National Boat Shows press release, 17 January 2011 (unaudited)
2012 102,841

I don't think there is much about my post that is somewhat inaccurate. Does my post do anyone any good? Well we have freedom of speech and it is useful for those thinking of going and spending maybe £150 on taking a family out to hear others views. People might expect to see all of the available boats in the marketplace at the show. I think it is fair to comment on that, and make a comparison to earlier shows when there were many many more exhibitors and boats on display - with ticket prices being similar.

Anyway, why is it doing you a favour not to comment honestly on how I experienced the show.

Calm down dear :)

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk
I don't think I did talk it down, the facts speak for themselves, and I am free to express my own personal experience. Boat show numbers have been decreasing at Excel way before the 'crunch' each year. Ever since the move from Earls Court.

Here are some figures from wikipedia. IIRC figures for those actually buying tickets are lower than those quoted here. The last year or so would preseumably have included people going to see the bike show as well.

2002 154,211 ABC audited
2003 145,845 ABC audited Last year at Earl's Court
2004 213,801 ABC audited First year at ExCeL
2005 154,041 ABC audited
2006 140,000 [1] (unaudited)
2007 130,000 National Boat Shows press release, 14 January 2007 (unaudited)
2008 127,251 ABC audited
2009 112,000 National Boat Shows press release, 18 January 2009 (unaudited)
2010 102,655 National Boat Shows press release, 17 January 2010 (unaudited)
2011 109,778 National Boat Shows press release, 17 January 2011 (unaudited)
2012 102,841

I don't think there is much about my post that is somewhat inaccurate. Does my post do anyone any good? Well we have freedom of speech and it is useful for those thinking of going and spending maybe £150 on taking a family out to hear others views. People might expect to see all of the available boats in the marketplace at the show. I think it is fair to comment on that, and make a comparison to earlier shows when there were many many more exhibitors and boats on display - with ticket prices being similar.

Anyway, why is it doing you a favour not to comment honestly on how I experienced the show.

My point is that it is improved on last year,despite the weather, so maybe the trend is reversed. If you weren't talking it down I would hate to hear you do so. Your experience seems to contradict many others, you never know, you may be biased because you miss earls court. Do you have a car or horse & cart ? :p

moondancer

www.wisereach.co.uk
My point is that it is improved on last year,despite the weather, so maybe the trend is reversed. If you weren't talking it down I would hate to hear you do so. Your experience seems to contradict many others, you never know, you may be biased because you miss earls court. Do you have a car or horse & cart ? :p

I was talking honestly rather than talking it down. The numbers show a long term year on year reduction in attendance which counters your view about the trend being reversed. Last year's figures would have been worse still if it hadn't been for adding the outdoor and cycling show to the event. How has it improved on last year? How many more boats are being displayed?

I don't have a problem with the venue, I exhibited at Excel a few years ago just after it moved there , as Fullcircle will vouch for , and then it was full of pretty nearly every craft on the market. In fact there was a 2 year waiting list to get space as an exhibitor. I enjoyed being an exhibitor at Excel.

Earls Court did have a much better location, it combined the London West End experience with a Dad's boat show trip, but it was hugely challenged logistically and couldn't have carried on.

I go to the Barcelona show most years, to Paris and also La Rochelle. I suggest you go to one of these shows and compare what you see there to this year's Excel - and also do a cost comparison.

I would love Excel to be as exciting as it used to be but the facts of the surface area of the boat displays and numbers of boats being displayed and the long term attendance figures suggest otherwise.

I don't have a horse and cart by the way.

FullCircle

Visit site
I was talking honestly rather than talking it down. The numbers show a long term year on year reduction in attendance which counters your view about the trend being reversed. Last year's figures would have been worse still if it hadn't been for adding the outdoor and cycling show to the event. How has it improved on last year? How many more boats are being displayed?

I don't have a problem with the venue, I exhibited at Excel a few years ago just after it moved there , as Fullcircle will vouch for , and then it was full of pretty nearly every craft on the market. In fact there was a 2 year waiting list to get space as an exhibitor. I enjoyed being an exhibitor at Excel.

Earls Court did have a much better location, it combined the London West End experience with a Dad's boat show trip, but it was hugely challenged logistically and couldn't have carried on.

I go to the Barcelona show most years, to Paris and also La Rochelle. I suggest you go to one of these shows and compare what you see there to this year's Excel - and also do a cost comparison.

I would love Excel to be as exciting as it used to be but the facts of the surface area of the boat displays and numbers of boats being displayed and the long term attendance figures suggest otherwise.

I don't have a horse and cart by the way.

I exhibited all week for Brian, and can indeed say that it has declined. In fact, this year was the first year since Excel started the Boat Show that i have not been.
We could not get a cup of coffee after 11am on any day. Too many punters, and the aisleways completely clogged to a crawl.
I have a fair idea of what it cost his company to put a single 29 footer on a stand, and pay all the associated costs. You have to move a lot of boats to make that up.
I will continue to go to SIBS.

And I disagree with Brian, I thought Earls Court was cute in a **** sort of way.

And his Horse and Cart was made at Hethel.

moondancer

www.wisereach.co.uk
I exhibited all week for Brian, and can indeed say that it has declined. In fact, this year was the first year since Excel started the Boat Show that i have not been.
We could not get a cup of coffee after 11am on any day. Too many punters, and the aisleways completely clogged to a crawl.
I have a fair idea of what it cost his company to put a single 29 footer on a stand, and pay all the associated costs. You have to move a lot of boats to make that up.
I will continue to go to SIBS.

And I disagree with Brian, I thought Earls Court was cute in a **** sort of way.

And his Horse and Cart was made at Hethel.

Thanks Jim. The best bit about exhibiting at Excel was your, Ian's and Gordon's company. Have to say it was far more fun and far more lucrative exhibiting at SIBS.

p.s. Jim, building a 240bhp Dax Rush to go with the Horse and Cart now.

CliveG

Visit site
Jim, building a 240bhp Dax Rush to go with the Horse and Cart now.

Sorry Thread Drift - But then I am the OP :)

I have a car club mate with one of those but he put a 4.2 Rover V8 in it with 350bhp on tap.
He had had the engine in a Dutton. that was just mind blowing but he could not get all the power down so he went for the Rush.
He has got feed-up with that and is now fitting a RX7 rotory in the Rush and intends to fit a big turbo = 500 bhp. :eek:

moondancer

www.wisereach.co.uk
Sorry Thread Drift - But then I am the OP :)

I have a car club mate with one of those but he put a 4.2 Rover V8 in it with 350bhp on tap.
He had had the engine in a Dutton. that was just mind blowing but he could not get all the power down so he went for the Rush.
He has got feed-up with that and is now fitting a RX7 rotory in the Rush and intends to fit a big turbo = 500 bhp. :eek:

and I thought 240bhp and 600kgs would be quick enough. I might have to re-think.....

FullCircle

Visit site
and I thought 240bhp and 600kgs would be quick enough. I might have to re-think.....

I built a Westfield SEi with a 16v Twin Cam Pinto, 2.4 Dry sump with twin 48m Dell Ortos. 204BHP and 500 kgs. It had the rose joint suspension and Yokohama semi slicks. Vented discs and six pot tokicos.
Although infinitely faster and stickier, it was not as much fun or usable as my Lotus 7 MkIII with a 1558cc BDA Twin Cam.
I sold it in favour of an Audi Quattro SWB coupe with 265bhp. Now that was good fun, and very usable
Sometimes, less is more.