Lock keepers- worth complaining?

Time Out

Visit site
Had what can only be described as so pathetic it’s funny transit through Molesey yesterday.

Heading up politely asked what time they closed. 1800 but he here by 1750 was the reply.

By coincidence we were there at 1745 on the nail waiting get in.

He opens the gates ( 1750) flicks the sign to self service, closes the gates and goes home leaving us to lock through ourselves.

I have no issue with self service but I can’t help feeling it was a deliberate act to prove a point.

I’m pretty sure if I go to buy something in a shop that closes at 1800 they don’t go home at 1750 !

Tedd lock keeper was equally sympathetic telling us he likely had paperwork to do.

Pull the other one. We didn’t come down with the last drop of rain !!

Utterly pathetic, so much so I’m laughing about it now.

Don’t do a job you hate.

Mataji

Visit site
I had the opposite experience a couple of weeks ago. Can’t remember exactly which lock but I arrived (single handed) at 12.55, hoping there would be a lockie. There was, and as he let m into the lock he flipped the sign to self service. He did however see me through the lock and went off for his lunch 10 minutes late. I was very grateful.

Gavin E

Visit site
We find the lock keepers to be friendly and cheerful on the whole, so much so that we notice on the odd occasion that we find one in 'grump mode'. I've always assumed they are there to look after the weirs as a priority and they only help boats through as a courtesy - and probably to stop numpties pressing buttons too long and breaking stuff.

I have no idea what they have to do before they are allowed to sign off and go home, but I wouldn't expect them to operate a lock for me if it meant they would finish work late?

Time Out

Visit site
I agree with all of that however it was obvious on this occasion it was a deliberate act.

Makes it very difficult to be nice to them all the time !

He could have cleared the lock and left gates open and still had enough time to walk the very short distance back to his house.

It was bordering on pathetic given he had told us on the way up EXACTLY what time to be back for transit.

Storm in a tea cup I know. Just wanted to get it off my chest !!

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Molesey must be one of the worst locks on the River to be in charge of.

The volume of idiots around there is quite high.

I have always found the resident lock keeper there to be very friendly and never had any problems. Have had issues with the prison officer woman who used to be a relief as she is a nuisance.

I'm always happy to do the locks myself whatever boat I am on so not bothered but no I don't think going off ten minutes early is complaints material. Plus if he knows you then he might have judged you happy to do the downstream transit yourself.

oldgit

Visit site
Had what can only be described as so pathetic it’s funny transit through Molesey yesterday.

Heading up politely asked what time they closed. 1800 but he here by 1750 was the reply.

By coincidence we were there at 1745 on the nail waiting get in.

He opens the gates ( 1750) flicks the sign to self service, closes the gates and goes home leaving us to lock through ourselves.

I have no issue with self service but I can’t help feeling it was a deliberate act to prove a point.

I’m pretty sure if I go to buy something in a shop that closes at 1800 they don’t go home at 1750 !

Tedd lock keeper was equally sympathetic telling us he likely had paperwork to do.

Pull the other one. We didn’t come down with the last drop of rain !!

Utterly pathetic, so much so I’m laughing about it now.

Don’t do a job you hate.
so thats about 99% of the population just bin tole :)

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Molesey is one of those locks where the top gates want to be closed as there is an access path across there.

Bottom gates left open nobody who knows anything is going to moan.

Push the buttons empty the lock open the gates all the way then carry on.

Time Out

Visit site
Molesey is one of those locks where the top gates want to be closed as there is an access path across there.

Bottom gates left open nobody who knows anything is going to moan.

Push the buttons empty the lock open the gates all the way then carry on.

Oh I get all of that and I’m happy to do it and often do BUT the more we have all discussed it the more we think it was a deliberate act. There was absolutely no other reason for him to flick the sign ( while we were passing / watching) close the gates and head back to his house.

Whether he thought we were deliberately coming back at the precise time he said, which was sheer coincidence, or he had simply had enough as it was busy. Either way it was bad form and noticed by all.

Sadly he will always be known as the lock keeper who couldn’t be bothered to see us through.

We were also on the starboard side just to make it that little bit harder.

I guess I feel slightly more miffed as it’s my local stretch where I always moor considerately, often gather litter, save the odd kid from drowning and spend my hard earned in the local boozers !

Feels as if I’ve been cheated!

Amazing how such small actions leave a bitter taste.

Anyhow, onwards !

Time Out

Visit site
Update - by sheer coincidence we arrived at Molesey at the same time last night heading down.

Same chap, this time very friendly, locked us through AND waited for the upstream boats to enter.

Almost a different guy. Very odd

billskip

Visit site
Update - by sheer coincidence we arrived at Molesey at the same time last night heading down.

Same chap, this time very friendly, locked us through AND waited for the upstream boats to enter.

Er indoors giving him a bad day....

Outinthedinghy

Visit site

Maybe the previous time when he went early he had spotted someone he didn't want to engage with at the time and decided to go back to the house.

I know the top gates there are an access route for quite a lot of moorings in the weir stream. It seems plausible that he could have been steering clear of someone.

Another thing which happens around there is a preponderance of unregistered craft which could techincally lead to paperwork.

Northern Star

Visit site
I have always found the majority of lock keepers wonderful and I am sure like us all they have off days and have to deal with all sorts of problems that a lot of us are not privy too.

I recall going thru Bray last summer and there were all sorts of head office management there doing what they do from afar and it was noticeable that the experienced lock people were having to bow to their presence.

Having also had to manage un-staffed busy locks during the summer in previous years it is easy to see how chaos can quickly prevail when you get inexperienced crew or Le Boat tourists holding things up.

We went down to Hampton Court in May and there were lockies all the way so it will be interesting to see how our experience this summer maps out when we go up to Henley and beyond.