Lock Keepers uniform

ms1

Visit site
The traditional lock-keepers uniform is finished. Lock keepers are saying that effective 1st May they will be wearing what was described as 'catalogue workwear'. Some lockies are working in their full uniform as a protest.

Cliveshep

Visit site
That's crazy, it's the uniform that identifies them as who they are, if they all start looking like Bob the Builder it'll cause no end of confusion! I don't blame them for wearing their full uniforms, good for them! They are a great bunch doing a great job for all of us, many of them boat owners themselves who must get really jealous of us going through whilst they do all the work instead of being afloat themselves.

DogsBody

Visit site
I agree with the other comments here - a crazy idea.

Apparently, from talking to one lock keeper on Friday, it is to save cost (expensive thing these uniforms you know). So all those who have uniforms are now not going to be allowed to wear them while the EA will be supplying them with alternatives (at added cost no doubt).

From what I gathered, there will be about half a dozen different coloured shirts they could be wearing after the change - how the hell are you supposed to recognise a lock keeper now?

The smart lock keepers and their well kept locks are part of the character of the Thames, what next? Tell them they can't keep the lock gardens nice as it costs too much?

Madness.

Darren.

Brayman

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

The smart lock keepers and their well kept locks are part of the character of the Thames, what next? Tell them they can't keep the lock gardens nice as it costs too much?

[/ QUOTE ] I think that was a consideration a few years ago - on Health andSafety issues!!!!!!!!!!!

DogsBody

Visit site
Yes, the keeper at Bovney was told he was no longer allowed to mow the grass near the lock in case he slipped and fell in with the mower.

Darren.

TrueBlue

Visit site
What's needed is a lot of support letters to that "nice" Mrs. McKeever regretting the change and asking for the existing uniforms to be worn (by those who wish to so do) until they wear out.

Precious few do wear them so it shouldn't cause too much hassle and makes economic sense (?)

bradtarga34

Visit site
At Chertsey lock they were running a petition to keep the uniforms, which my wife and I signed. My wife initially commented how dapper he looked and he then said about the demise of the uniforms. Such a shame, as helps make it a special day out, especially when having friends on board, and makes it easier to spot the lock keeper as well.

Brayman

Visit site
This is Eileen's response:
This is very frustrating for us. The "suits" cost over £300 over person, not a good use of public money, and they are hardly ever worn. Most staff do not like them. We had long discussions with staff about the uniform and everyone
has a different view! We agreed the current arrangement with the unions and in effect there will be hardly any change to what you have seen on the river for several years. All the PPE will be of a much better quality which staff wanted.

There are however a few staff who do not like change!

Regards
Eileen

Eileen McKeever

byron

RIP
Visit site
Yeh right. 300 sovs., where they buying them from Sammy Arkus in Berwick Street Soho ? I bet he'd tailor make uniforms for less considering how big the order would be. There's no way they should cost more than £150 each unless the buyer is Dopey from the seven dwarfs.

trev

Visit site
£300 for a uni ??! No way - you can get a decent job down in Portsmouth for under £200. Especially if you're going to give several orders and keep coming back.
Perhaps the 'senior management' could do without new cars instead ?