Lobster Pot Purchase

TheBoatman

Visit site
Be careful

Capt'n
You need to be a little careful on this one because you can source pots from various places ~ online or local fishermen ~ but once you have a pot(s) and throw it (them) overboard you are effectively concidered to be a "commercial" fisherman in the eyes of the law, and as such you are bound by, and have to conform to various regs and bye-laws!

I knowthat you only want the odd lobster for your personel consumption, but just be careful about how you go about it????

Peter.

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
This a professional lobster pot - works every time in my experience..

cooking-lobster1.jpg

Ludd

Visit site
Capt'n
You need to be a little careful on this one because you can source pots from various places ~ online or local fishermen ~ but once you have a pot(s) and throw it (them) overboard you are effectively concidered to be a "commercial" fisherman in the eyes of the law, and as such you are bound by, and have to conform to various regs and bye-laws!

I knowthat you only want the odd lobster for your personel consumption, but just be careful about how you go about it????

Peter.

Rubbish! You can set up to 5 pots without any licence----that's the problem! But for God's sake DON'T set it within 100 miles of Dude, he'll have apoplexy!

Buy a folding one and a BIG FLUORESCENT BUOY!

Visit site
Rubbish! You can set up to 5 pots without any licence----that's the problem! But for God's sake DON'T set it within 100 miles of Dude, he'll have apoplexy!

Buy a folding one and a BIG FLUORESCENT BUOY!

Not quite - you still have to comply with the size limits I believe, and I don't know whether its a reg issue or not, but I always thow back the ones with eggs.

But it's an interesting if not always successful diversion when you get to a suitable anchorage. And there is some skill involved too.

Suggest a discrete pot buoy munless you are dropping it near where yachts go - the local inshore fishermen aren't always that friendly.

temptress

gbr195t.com
LOB POT

I'm not sure I'm going to be very popular here, but a friend of mine wants to purchase a lobster pot for their hubby for Christmas.

Any contacts where they may be available?

Thank you.

I bought my wife a ‘folding’ lobster pot a couple of years ago. Can’t remember the company , I still see their advert in the back to YM and PBO, someing like the folding pot company or yotpot

Anyway we’ve used it a few times usually when at anchor somewhere but don’t always get what we were hoping for in the POT!

Ours came with a guide on how to set it, what the UK regulations were (ie size of the things etc) and some useful recommendations on how to set it. Ignore all the doom mongers fresh lobster is worth it but you do have to have a pot big enough to cook them in………….

Good luck

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com
I'm not sure I'm going to be very popular here, but a friend of mine wants to purchase a lobster pot for their hubby for Christmas.

Any contacts where they may be available?

Thank you.

See http://cornwallcreels.co.uk/default.aspx they have all the different types I would suggest side entry pots for best success.
As has been said check the local sea fisheriess bye laws, but for the hobby fisherman up to 6 pots is generally the limit so long as the catch is not being sold on. Lots of other limits as well like lobster and crab sizes (male and female crabs differ), never take a lobster with eggs (berried) return it, also return any lobster with a 'V' notch in the tail they are breeding hens and there is a fine if landed.
Use a leaded line up to the buoy so there is no rope floating on the surface, and use a proper dan to mark them with.

Happy fishing, as it happens I've got lobster for dinner tonight :)

Neil

Visit site
Not quite - you still have to comply with the size limits I believe, and I don't know whether its a reg issue or not, but I always thow back the ones with eggs.

But it's an interesting if not always successful diversion when you get to a suitable anchorage. And there is some skill involved too.

Suggest a discrete pot buoy munless you are dropping it near where yachts go - the local inshore fishermen aren't always that friendly.

Females with eggs: notch the tail and throw back.

Lobsters with notched tails: throw back.

Sorry, didn't read until the end of the thread.

Last edited:

Robin

Visit site
With a 4 foot black flag ............................. please

The folding nets are not intended for use in deep water where the tide is running and have no weights to keep them anchored. We use one but set it right inshore close to rocks, not where anyone will go with a boat and the line is weighted with fishing weights to keep it from floating at LW even though it isn't floating line. Ours is marked with a very small cistern ball with our boat name on it. However I think the local fisherfolk are more amused than worried about our successes...

Other threads that may be of interest