Living aboard in marina's - advice needed

Kristal

www.audnance.com
Living aboard in marina\'s - advice needed

My partner has begun to seriously consider the possibility of living aboard Crystal, our 1927 bermudian yawl - she is homely enough to live comfortably aboard, although both working, we think it would have to be in a city marina, at the moment, probably Ipswich.

I can see a potential problem - I know that Marina's in the UK, for some reason, don't like liveaboards, and I was wondering if anyone here knew any that allowed it. The other option is to go abroad, maybe to France, which would be significantly cheaper, although I'm concerned about various matters to do with the yacht's status, considering she is too old.

Can anyone give any useful advice about the beurocracy of living aboard a yacht in a marina, either in this country or on the continent (France or Holland).

Many thanks,

/<

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.crystaltwo.co.uk/>Crystal II in Pictures</A>

roly_voya

Visit site
Re: Living aboard in marina\'s - advice needed

Some marinas I gather can be a bit iffy but my experience is many like having people around a lot, helps security and make the place less like a car park. The rule is you are not permenantly resident or there are tax and planning issues so you must have a boats that looks ready to go (and probably does at least for holidays) so keep the potted plants down and don't stack stuff on the pontoons. This goes for the west coast, east might be different as some of its more crowded. Also never had a problem getting mail delivered to the marina office.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tritonofnor

Visit site

I have no problem here in Plymouth, (working for the marina probably helps!), but there are at least 9 boats which are permanently occupied. It makes for a very village like experience, and is great fun. As for the boats age - why worry? My boat was built in 1936, my mate's in 1941, and there are a few living on strange concrete contraptions! In my experience classic boats get more favourable treatment than modern french plastic. There's no council tax (see my previous post), post is delivered to the office, and everyone lends a hand if there's a problem. At this marina liveaboards are welcome, as if it wasn't for them we wouldn't see anyone from October to easter!

<hr width=100% size=1>

mainshiptom

Visit site

I have stayed in marinas in london before, always a problem full time !

On our last summer holidays we satyaed in Brugge ! What a wonderful city and marina ! We where welcome to stay as long as we liked and the marina opreator offered for us to leave the boat, so they can look after it ! Very very cheap mooring not to mention the price of beer or any other purchase !

I would like to retire doing just that !

We have met a couple of brits that leave abrod thier boat there (Osprey).

Tom

<hr width=100% size=1>

Trevethan

Visit site

As long as you are fairly discrete its not a problem -- no lawn furniture on pontoons, washing hanging off the rig -- You also need a permanent address for teh marina to send your bills to etc etc and to prove that no of course you don't really live aboard, but you just love the boat and marina so much you find it hard to tear yourself away.

Most marinas accept you staying aboard three nights a week anyway -- and as long as you don't attract attention to yourselves they will look the other way -- even Exeter basin, owned and run by the council looked the other way and it was the council that imposed the by-laws banning liveaboards.

Personally I don't see what the problem is -- it increases security, and the pool of help available if something goes wrong, etc etc etc..

anyway good luck!

Nick

<hr width=100% size=1>

Abigail

www.sailblogs.com

Marinas vary - we are living aboard, like about a dozen others, right in Ipswich Haven marina (send a PM if you want to get in touch!) Some are quite happy to be your only address, others ill 'blind eye' your prescence if you have a permanent postal address they can refer to, others won't let you do it at all. Of course you can try and get away with it, but if you have gained by paying in advance and then they chuck you out, you're well out of pocket.

We run two businesses from living aboard, in Brighton and now in Ipswich and have had no problem even with VAT, Companies House etc. The most difficult thing has been occasional proof of identity as our only utility is a phone line, and if we didn't have that we would really be struggling in these laundering-conscious days. Otherwise, we have found it very friendly and manageable - and while we look forward to being on teh hook far more, we wouldn't want to spend the winter that way at 52 degrees north!

<hr width=100% size=1>Sarah&Pip

DistantDrum

Visit site

I have my yacht in Ipswich Haven Marina (run by ABP). She is 13.25M and our annual charge is £2,800 + electricity + Haul out and in costs. This is a modern marina with good facilities. We have loads of part and full time live aboard resident. Ipswich is also a developing town, so with the marina close to the town centre it is really good fun.

Peter

<hr width=100% size=1>