liveaboard portsmouth ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

V1701

Visit site
I think Haslar marina might be "liveaboard tolerant", others will know better than me. Unless you're a masochist you can't really live full time on a tiny boat like that on a mooring and free places to keep your boat just don't exist...

Stemar

Visit site
Cheap or free doesn't happen around Portsmouth, especially if you want to walk ashore. My first port of call would be Quay Lane Boatyard. A drying pontoon berth will set you back a bit under £40 a week, while a mooring will set you back £606 for a year. Don't believe the "access at most states of the tide on the Hardway Public pontoon" claim, though. I'd say half tide at best.

If convenience isn't an issue and you really want free, there were a couple of liveaboards anchored up beyond Wicor. last year. Don't know if they've been chased away now.

We had a Snapdragon 24 for years. I reckon I could have lived alone on her in the summer, but winter would be miserable, especially without mains electricity.

AIUI, Haslar does allow liveaboards, or at least tolerates them, but cheap it ain't. Around £600 per metre for an annual berth, + leccy.

Visit site
Cheap or free doesn't happen around Portsmouth, especially if you want to walk ashore. My first port of call would be Quay Lane Boatyard. A drying pontoon berth will set you back a bit under £40 a week, while a mooring will set you back £606 for a year. Don't believe the "access at most states of the tide on the Hardway Public pontoon" claim, though. I'd say half tide at best.

If convenience isn't an issue and you really want free, there were a couple of liveaboards anchored up beyond Wicor. last year. Don't know if they've been chased away now.

We had a Snapdragon 24 for years. I reckon I could have lived alone on her in the summer, but winter would be miserable, especially without mains electricity.

AIUI, Haslar does allow liveaboards, or at least tolerates them, but cheap it ain't. Around £600 per metre for an annual berth, + leccy.
yes sounds good info i have tried haslar but they said no liveaboards to me in a email

ridgy

Visit site
yes sounds good info i have tried haslar but they said no liveaboards to me in a email
First rule of L club is don't mention L club. There are very few marinas that actually encourage or want liveaboards. Some will tolerate it on a "see no evil hear no evil" basis.
The fact that you seek or think that there could be a free mooring around Portsmouth suggests that you would fall in to the category of not wanting so I'd definitely keep quiet about it.

harvey38

Visit site
I think Haslar marina might be "liveaboard tolerant", others will know better than me. Unless you're a masochist you can't really live full time on a tiny boat like that on a mooring and free places to keep your boat just don't exist...
There's a masochist who is a 24/7 liveaboard on a 17' in the marina at Ramsgate. He lives a frugal but very happy life, quite often crewing for others or as Skipper on other vessels for those not competent going across the Channel.

Visit site
IF you love sailing, living aboard AND using the boat to go sailing can be lovely. If you are just looking for cheap accomodation and need walkashore marina for work probably better renting a room in shared house. Only cheap places in Solent are mooring buoys and it would be hard to live on these (wicor, gosport boat yard, langstone harbour, ect).

Stemar

Visit site
Not free, but club moorings can be pretty cheap. I won't say how much I pay, because I don't like seeing grown men weep, but you join my club because it's a friendly place with good facilities. Then put your name on the list for a mooring. If you're young enough, you might live long enough to get one.

If OP needs a walk ashore mooring and isn't too worried about limited access to the sea, Quay Lane is probably his best bet.

Neeves

Visit site
Living on a 24' yacht could be feasible - but you need to get to shore, you need water, food, fuel etc which means you need a dinghy and now you need to be able to leave the dinghy in a secure location - its not just a mooring/location you are looking for. However living on a 24' yacht will be lonely and not too likely to appeal to anyone you wish to hold close.

The best bet would be move to Australia where the climate is slightly more kind than that in the UK.

Jonathan

Visit site
Not free, but club moorings can be pretty cheap. I won't say how much I pay, because I don't like seeing grown men weep, but you join my club because it's a friendly place with good facilities. Then put your name on the list for a mooring. If you're young enough, you might live long enough to get one.

If OP needs a walk ashore mooring and isn't too worried about limited access to the sea, Quay Lane is probably his best bet.
quay lane that fareham marina where my boat currently is

PlanB

Visit site
You might also want to search on the Liveaboard forum here, as there are loads of threads on the subject.

fredrussell

Visit site
…However living on a 24' yacht will be lonely and not too likely to appeal to anyone you wish to hold close.

The best bet would be move to Australia where the climate is slightly more kind than that in the UK.

Jonathan
What a cheerful soul you are Neeves. I’m sure that’s really cheered the OP up!

dk

Visit site
I once kept a Vivacity 24 in a very small marina in Fareham, up past the yacht club, right next to the gravel loading dock. Can't remember its name but there were a few liveaboards there back then. Cheap too.

Visit site
I once kept a Vivacity 24 in a very small marina in Fareham, up past the yacht club, right next to the gravel loading dock. Can't remember its name but there were a few liveaboards there back then. Cheap too.
Yes I spoke with owner she not allow liveaboards

Status
Not open for further replies.