liveaboard portsmouth ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neeves

Visit site
What a cheerful soul you are Neeves. I’m sure that’s really cheered the OP up!
Living on a 24' yacht is a romantic dream and needs a real flight of fancy if its on a swing mooring. I like to suggest the reality.

We used to cruise, or at least overnight on a J24. It is very much like camping in a small tent in the late 50's early 60's - which was more than acceptable for the DofE award but not full time.

Jonathan
The problem with moving to Australia is that one would have to tolerate all those self-righteous, we are better than thee Australians.

No thanks.
You have been watching too much cricket. :)

Jonathan

Stemar

Visit site
A Snapdragon 24 is probably one of the better 24 footers to live on, provided you aren't too tall. It has a better forepeak than plenty of 26 footers, a proper, if tiny, head and a fairly sensible layout. We used to spend a couple of weeks at a time on ours, sometimes a week without setting foot ashore, Solo, I reckon I'd be OK during the summer, but it would be miserable in winter, even with shore power; on a mooring or anchored, it's going to be not far short of a survival experience.

Visit site
A Snapdragon 24 is probably one of the better 24 footers to live on, provided you aren't too tall. It has a better forepeak than plenty of 26 footers, a proper, if tiny, head and a fairly sensible layout. We used to spend a couple of weeks at a time on ours, sometimes a week without setting foot ashore, Solo, I reckon I'd be OK during the summer, but it would be miserable in winter, even with shore power; on a mooring or anchored, it's going to be not far short of a survival experience.
you said the exact same thing on another thread?

samfieldhouse

Visit site
IF you love sailing, living aboard AND using the boat to go sailing can be lovely. If you are just looking for cheap accomodation and need walkashore marina for work probably better renting a room in shared house.
This is 100% on the money.

I’ve lived very happily on my 28ft sloop for 10 years in various south coast marinas - none of whom allow liveaboards.

However, she’s a ship shape seagoing vessel that I go cruising in to the extent that I’m never in the marina enough to be considered living there.

If you love sailing and have a boat, it’s perfect, but cheap accommodation it is not; I’ve spent £24k on mooring fees in the last 6 years and around £12k maintaining and improving her.

zoidberg

Visit site
Living on a 24' yacht could be feasible - but you need to get to shore, you need water, food, fuel etc which means you need a dinghy and now you need to be able to leave the dinghy in a secure location - its not just a mooring/location you are looking for. However living on a 24' yacht will be lonely and not too likely to appeal to anyone you wish to hold close.

The best bet would be move to Australia where the climate is slightly more kind than that in the UK.

Jonathan
Now that's a good idea, but I'd turn it upside down and have a 42' boat.... somewhere without 'salties'. :eek:

Visit site
Snapdragon 24 is one of the better 24 footers for accommodation, but 'liveaboard' and 'free' are non starters pretty well anywhere in the Solent. Chichester harbour Conservancy for example do not allow liveaboards at all, though I know of one or two in the harbour. But not free or cheap!
think i might have a solution so unfortunately will have to be quiet about it
my new video and also abandoned boat notice on southampton road near portchester abandoned boat

Last edited:

oldharry

Visit site
URGENT! get your cooker sorted. Those yellow flames will be pumping out carbon monoxide - the silent killer. It means the air/gas mix needs resetting. It should be burning with clean blue flames with at most a tinge oif yellow at the tips.

As to the wreck, thats what it is. It will cost a great deal more than one that is up and running, to get it back on the water. Theres no way of knowing whats happened to the hull where she grounded.

Another dream ending, with Portsmouth Council left to foot the disposal bill which is likely to run in to four figures to get it out of there and dispose of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.