Liveaboard on the Canal du Midi – possible?

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
We spent a winter in San Carles de la Rapita. Very good marina, run by MDL. It will be a touch more expensive than Cartegena but if you look at the berth brokerage sites you may be able to pick up a bargain. Weather is mainly benign but it can get windy with the wind from the Ebro valley. That said, the berths are all secure and because the marina is in the shelter of the Ebro delta there's no surge or waves. There is a small liveaboard community but a lot of the boats are owned by folks who live in London and the south east: there's therefore a constant stream of visitors arriving for a week or two on board. Good club on site which organises parties to mark things like new year.

Barcelona itself is a bit limited and most of the marinas close to the city are either bung full or very costly. There used to be a thriving liveaboard community in Port Vell but that was forced out a few years back. Most of the boats moved to Ginesta, a few miles south. Good marina, on the train system to Barca and I understand it still has a liveaboard community. Not too expensive by all accounts.

We looked at Valencia and were quite taken by the northern marina, which has the F1 circuit adjacent to it. Reasonable prices and town is not too far away but you'll need bikes to get about the place, as it's a bit out in the sticks.....

North of Barca, I can recommend Badalona as a place to park the boat but I'd not want to spend the winter there. No community but there is a large supermarket a couple of minutes walk away and it's a fifteen minute walk to either train or metro stops.

Hope that helps.

dslittle

Visit site
Very doable. Friend has been there for the last couple of years and loves it (so do I when we go to stay!!!)

Arghhhhh. Prehistoric thread...

Last edited:

dslittle

Visit site
Yes, but it's been modernised, so I'm sure you comments are welcome and relevant. See post #13.

Nos etiam vivere

Thanks for that!!!

Then I would suggest Poilhes on the Canal du Midi - there are a couple of liveaboards there in an idyllic setting. Good transport links with 'budget' airlines and pleasant climate. Unfortunately we will have to buy a very different boat to take advantage ourselves so visiting it is...

blampied

Visit site
Thank you everyone for the comments and recommendations, it has given us a lot to think about.
We are slowly heading north up the Spanish Med coast
we will make a decision on which port to aim for for winter, in September