Liveaboard North Wales

barnyfluid

Visit site
Thanks to everyone who replied, it's all helpful.

I've just been watching some videos (closed FB group otherwise I'd link) of storm Callum hitting the PD moorings a few days back, several boats capsized, others heeling past 45 degrees under bare poles in gusts, looked like a pretty good kicking was taken by all. Guess there's a set of wind, weather and wave variables for anywhere that will cause problems and a dice rolling in the deep.

EDIT - Beaumaris got off lighter by all accounts.

So owners left their boats on moorings at their own risk.

That's interesting. I read someone saying their insurance didn't care where the boat was moored, just that the moorings "were professionally maintained". If a mooring drags/breaks, does a boats insurance firm pass the liability onto the mooring provider?

Last edited:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
The Callum storm was exceptional, although it seems the boats that sank were small centreboard vessels. The larger ones heeling didn't look like fun though! I guess it would have been possible to shelter inside PD given sufficient warning. With a suitable boat the drying harbour is reasonably cheap in winter and far more sheltered and convenient.

barnyfluid

Visit site
Think a fairly substantial trimaran has flipped too, nasty.

It was exceptional WX , but considering Holyhead was another such event scant months ago maybe it's becoming less with climate change. Could just be crap luck too.

bx