Liveaboard marinas on the southcoast UK

Jimmann

Visit site
Hi

I'm currently looking for a south coast marina that will allow me and my family to liveaboard over the winter before heading to France in the spring.

I'm currently west of Plymouth in a boatyard doing repairs but I would rather not stay near here as plymouth is abit rough and not what I remembered..

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

V1701

Visit site
Hmm, if you think Plymouth is rough you'll think the same of some of the other options, so find somewhere (with a marina) that you're happy with and see if you can book a winter berth with them. Don't mention living aboard just be quiet and don't make it obvious. If you do ask about living aboard be prepared for them to say no, which is the default for the vast majority of UK coastal marinas...

Jimmann

Visit site
Hmm, if you think Plymouth is rough you'll think the same of some of the other options, so find somewhere (with a marina) that you're happy with and see if you can book a winter berth with them. Don't mention living aboard just be quiet and don't make it obvious. If you do ask about living aboard be prepared for them to say no, which is the default for the vast majority of UK coastal marinas...

Hi,

I don't like leaving it to chance, I'm looking for the marinas with the "There's no liveaboards aloud but people spend a lot of time on their boats, if you know what I mean" approach.

I just need to know which ones they are.

Thanks

Seastoke

Visit site
Hi,

I don't like leaving it to chance, I'm looking for the marinas with the "There's no liveaboards aloud but people spend a lot of time on their boats, if you know what I mean" approach.

Thanks
That is leaving it to chance.

Star-Lord

Visit site
Hi

I'm currently looking for a south coast marina that will allow me and my family to liveaboard over the winter before heading to France in the spring.

I'm currently west of Plymouth in a boatyard doing repairs but I would rather not stay near here as plymouth is abit rough and not what I remembered..

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Never ask!! As long as you have a home address you are Gucci. Port Solent Marina does not accept live aboards but there are lots here. Including at least one family with kids.

PlanB

Visit site
Haven't heard anything about Brighton lately, but they used to turn a blind eye if you had a land based home address

V1701

Visit site
Hi,

Thanks
There are marinas that have that approach but they're not going to tell you that that's their approach is what we're saying. I think you're asking for too much to fall into place here - firstly that the locale itself is acceptable to you (I'm not sure that you wouldn't consider Gosport, Port Solent or Brighton to be a bit rough) and second that the local marina will tell you that you can live aboard unofficially...

ashtead

Visit site
We are a Haslar boat and I recall for a few years a couple with 2 young boys always seemed to be on board their cat ,a heavenly twin maybe, and no one seemed to mind. You often see couples who are planning to go on the ARC spending a long time on board perhaps with occasional commute across the water from Portsmouth harbour station to say London if working a couple of days a week in the office as well as working from home. All I would say is if looking for a long term stay check out the Wi-Fi and electric charges etc . If looking for a cheaper location Wicormarine or find somewhere tidal eg up at Fareham . You might find a cheap berth on the River Medina at island harbour if they are still open for new bertholders and it’s fairly close to shops in Newport if you cycle there.

Star-Lord

Visit site
We are a Haslar boat and I recall for a few years a couple with 2 young boys always seemed to be on board their cat ,a heavenly twin maybe, and no one seemed to mind. You often see couples who are planning to go on the ARC spending a long time on board perhaps with occasional commute across the water from Portsmouth harbour station to say London if working a couple of days a week in the office as well as working from home. All I would say is if looking for a long term stay check out the Wi-Fi and electric charges etc . If looking for a cheaper location Wicormarine or find somewhere tidal

Star-Lord

Visit site
Brighton is very civilised imho. Easy walk to pubs and supermarket etc. Just turn up and park the boat and ask for a contract. Many live there.

lektran

Visit site
We stayed at Haslar for 15 months living aboard, leaving just a few months ago. We didn't declare ourselves as liveaboards but also didn't make any attempts to hide away, we were at the office every few days collecting packages.

V1701

Visit site
We stayed at Haslar for 15 months living aboard, leaving just a few months ago. We didn't declare ourselves as liveaboards but also didn't make any attempts to hide away, we were at the office every few days collecting packages.

The trouble is (and I can understand it, having your family not just yourself to consider) the OP wants the marina to tell him that they can live aboard and also wants to be in an area he/they don't consider to be "a bit rough"...

ashtead

Visit site
Gosport has improved in recent years boasting more supermarkets than you would believe with Morrisons,Aldi and Asda all in walking distance plus an m&s on way in ans Waitrose at alverstoke. Cook will even deliver you single liveabord meals to the marina office I’m told to stock up your freezer . There is of course a greggs and subway .

Seastoke

Visit site
Gosport has improved in recent years boasting more supermarkets than you would believe with Morrisons,Aldi and Asda all in walking distance plus an m&s on way in ans Waitrose at alverstoke. Cook will even deliver you single liveabord meals to the marina office I’m told to stock up your freezer . There is of course a greggs and subway .
Wow I nearly want to move marinas.

lektran

Visit site
I wouldn't say Gosport itself was somewhere we enjoyed spending any time to be honest. Portsmouth with good shopping, dining and transport links only a short ferry ride away and immediate access to the solent were the the things that made it tenable for us.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
How far east are you willing to travel?

I'm Plymouth based and find it just the same as any other port in the UK.

You might find that one or two of the Plymouth marinas might welcome a liveaboard.

V1701

Visit site
They're in Plymouth, or near there, already and don't want to stay there because it's "a bit rough". Personally I like Plymouth, it's where I ended up when I joined the navy at 16 in 1982. Or more accurately across the river in Torpoint but we frequently ended up on Union St. I also quite like Gosport, it's where I bought my first boat so I got to know it a bit then and have been back several times. Back to the OP I think the likelihood of finding somewhere they consider to be "not rough" that also has a marina that will tell you that you can live on your boat is (IMHO) vanishingly small...

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
When I was last berthed in Plymouth 15 years ago there were several livaboards in the Yacht Haven which knew about them and had a mail collection service.
As for rough any city or town has rough areas but Plymouth in general is fine I do wonder what the OP thinks rough is.

Jinkster

Visit site
Wicor allow liveaboards according to their website.

Just out of interest - why do marinas not like liveaboards as long as people are respectful?