Little Big Boats

Mtns

Visit site
Hi folks, after years of dinghy sailing and sea kayaking I am looking to move towards a bigger drier boat next year. I have sailed on chartered boats and have a day skipper but would love my own boat.

I know what I want to do with it but have limited knowledge about models and designs. I expect to spend time around the Scottish Islands for up to a fortnight at a time with my wife and sailing locally around Cumbria. Towable would really be a must but only occasionally. I am not worried about fast and fashionable more dependable, seaworthy and a bit more substantial than a dinghy with a lid. My budget is around £3500 and Im not shy of work although I am not looking to buy one now, just to get an idea of what to look at for next year. Any suggestions of where to start woud be appreciated.

Habebty

Visit site
Search posts by Dylan Winter and you might find the Mirror Offshore to your liking :)

There are loads of boats in your price range but some might be a bit of a project but no problem if you are handy with a few basic tools. Have a look on Ebay for a potential fixer-upper. getting one with a decent trailer might be a bit more pricey. Spend a fair bit of your cash on safety gear like lifejackets, decent anchor, and a VHF etc. Buy one for £2k then spend the rest doing it up? Scan the classified ads in PBO and look around local marinas to see what you like the look of. If you like it, and it looks right to you then it probably is. Do you have a suitable towing vehicle?

Think small for now and just short coastal hops then move on.

Others might chip in with some more useful info.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
My little boat cost a little under £2K complete with trailer and outboard motor.

What we found when looking was it was a bit pointless looking for a particular make or model of boat. That would just limit your market considerably, or make you travel much further.

We set the simple target of buying a bilge or lifting keel trailerable sail boat for under £2k. Most were for sale down south, but the one we have came up for sale with a broker close to home so we looked and bought her.

It really wouldn't have mattered what make it was, as long as it looked okay, offered reasonable accommodation and was within the price range.

Although only 18ft 6" LOA our boat is according to everyone that sees it (and two reviews written when it was new) is "more of a mini cruiser, rather than just a dinghy with a lid"

So far the only time we have got wet in the cockpit, is when it rains.

Last edited:

NealB

Visit site
Hi folks, after years of dinghy sailing and sea kayaking I am looking to move towards a bigger drier boat next year. I have sailed on chartered boats and have a day skipper but would love my own boat.

I know what I want to do with it but have limited knowledge about models and designs. I expect to spend time around the Scottish Islands for up to a fortnight at a time with my wife and sailing locally around Cumbria. Towable would really be a must but only occasionally. I am not worried about fast and fashionable more dependable, seaworthy and a bit more substantial than a dinghy with a lid. My budget is around £3500 and Im not shy of work although I am not looking to buy one now, just to get an idea of what to look at for next year. Any suggestions of where to start woud be appreciated.

You can get some capable boats for that.

There's too many to list really, just keep on eye on ebay, Apolloduck, boatsandoutboards, etc

Here's a few starters, off the top of my head:

Anderson 22 (cue Seajet!), Pandora, Corribee, Coromandel, Achilles, Hurley 22, Signet, Arden 4 tonner.

You might find a scruffy Invicta or Folksong type falls in your budget.

jwilson

Visit site
You can get some capable boats for that.

There's too many to list really, just keep on eye on ebay, Apolloduck, boatsandoutboards, etc

Here's a few starters, off the top of my head:

Anderson 22 (cue Seajet!), Pandora, Corribee, Coromandel, Achilles, Hurley 22, Signet, Arden 4 tonner.

You might find a scruffy Invicta or Folksong type falls in your budget.

Agree not to get too fixated on one model. Add to your list some of the early small Westerlys, Trident 24, Wing 25, Ruffian 23 (excellent tough little boat), but look at all options offered for sale. Seal 22 is also a good boat but a bit less of a cruiser, though if you're used to camping it would be fine.

Only you can decide if you want a fixer-upper or ready to go. If fixer-upper leave a very substantial bit of cash in hand.

Lee_Shaw

Visit site

I find myself drawn (over and over) to the Manta 19, but would stand corrected by someone with better knowledge of such matters.

Seajet

Visit site
The Manta 19 is a good boat, got good reviews when she came out; edited to say I thought I had the brochure but don't seem to.

May be a touch lightly built to survive the years, but a good one would be a spiffing boat, good luck !

Last edited:

CoVianna

Visit site
There is something wrong!

The Manta 19 is a good boat, got good reviews when she came out; edited to say I thought I had the brochure but don't seem to.

May be a touch lightly built to survive the years, but a good one would be a spiffing boat, good luck !

Bloody hell! No mention of Seajet's favourite boat! What is the world coming to!

Seajet

Visit site
Bloody hell! No mention of Seajet's favourite boat! What is the world coming to!

Thanks for noticing ! :)

I'm also a fan of the Leisure 17 ( think I'd prefer the Manta to sail, but the Leisure is fantastic for 17' and tough ). I think I know where there's an apparently good one - in need of finishing a mild refit as the owner is abroad a lot and lost interest - for £350, complete lot except no engine, PM me if interested.