Lift out, block off and hard standing in the central south coast of England from October 24 until Mid March 25 (22/23 weeks)

ritchyp

Visit site
Howdy folks,

I did find one post about Winter storage in the Solent area but it was lasted active in 2018 so I posting anew and prepared to cover a wider area than just the Solent.

Plans to move my yacht to Portugal and stand her on the hard for the winter did not work out. I'm seriously gutted and was ready to go months ago but others.....?

I have a 36 foot sloop with a long fin keel and she has not been dried out since 2021 and she also needs striping back the hull (below waterline) back and re-prime, Anti fouling, new skin fittings. Had I made it to Portugal, I could have stood on the hard for 6 months for €1250. Also a reason for a cheap working holiday in Jan/Feb. but thats life!

All I can do, is follow the same plan here now and leave Blighty as early in the year as possible next year for the crossing of Biscay.

I am currently Berthed a small marina up in Southampton and just got billed from June to September which will go straight on the plastic. Mostly retired but no Pensions so its always a juggling act. Obviously anything around the Solent would be better but it is also the most expensive area so I need to look further afield. I'm thinking Dorset to West Sussex as I live in north Wiltshire and would be driving down to check on her every few weeks.

Any suggestions or or up to date information on possible venues would be most gratefully received.

ritchyp

Tranona

Visit site
That is very nice place, but a bit remote depending on where you are coming from. Here is similar prices davisboatyard.co.uk and much more accessible by road and water plus a much wider range of services.

ashtead

Visit site
I assume you have looked at Wicor at Fareham and the IoW ? Appreciate the ferry costs might put you off but I guess depends on how cheap places like Newport quay or suchlike are now assuming it’s still running of course.

Aeolus

Visit site
Depth might be a challenge but there is a good sail maker there
I think the OP would need a tide close to 5 meters but I know that other boats with that draught have been lifted at Thornham. Also, they've just bought the old Northshore shipyard at Itchenor and I think the draught will be less of an issue there.