Lifelines

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Following on to the LION MAIB report - I'm looking to get a couple of triple-hook lifelines with a long and a short tether.

Are the elasticated ones a good idea, and what would people recommend or warn against from personal experience?

- W

Hoolie

Visit site
All our tethers are triples and they are very useful for working at the mast etc. They're not elasticated, but the free length of the line has never been a problem.
I have always thought of elastic having a limited life, so personally I would not buy elasticated tethers.

santeana

Visit site
Same thoughts as Hoolie. Only have triples and find the 'long' and short' very useful. Very flexible for controlling safe reach for various anchor points and handy when changing over 'belay'. Have no experience of elasticated and no motivation to try. Durability/ruggedness is one point but may also lead to 'slack'/unsafe tether with inexperienced crew.

silver-fox

yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com
Following on to the LION MAIB report - I'm looking to get a couple of triple-hook lifelines with a long and a short tether.

Are the elasticated ones a good idea, and what would people recommend or warn against from personal experience?

- W

Webby, I was amazed that you, of all people, are considering using a lifeline. surely if you fell overboard you would just walk home?:rolleyes:

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Webby, I was amazed that you, of all people, are considering using a lifeline. surely if you fell overboard you would just walk home?:rolleyes:

:D

I have always used a lifeline when the situation warrants it. Ours are two-hook 1.8m though, and though I often clip on on the 'uphill' side the triple hook with a short option seems like a good idea - and one I have been putting off for a while.

- W

alan_d

Visit site
I have a triple-hook elasticated lifeline, a twin-hook elasticated one and two standard double-hook ones. The triple-hook one is the one I tend to use when I am single-handed. The only drawback is that the distance between the attachment point and my favourite perch at the rear of the cockpit puts the elastic under stretch and makes things less comfortable.

I don't really understand people's concern about the elastic not being durable. Surely if the elastic fails you are in the same position as with a standard non-elastic one.

rotrax

Visit site
I have a triple-hook elasticated lifeline, a twin-hook elasticated one and two standard double-hook ones. The triple-hook one is the one I tend to use when I am single-handed. The only drawback is that the distance between the attachment point and my favourite perch at the rear of the cockpit puts the elastic under stretch and makes things less comfortable.

I don't really understand people's concern about the elastic not being durable. Surely if the elastic fails you are in the same position as with a standard non-elastic one.

Exactly.

Conachair

Visit site

- W

I use one of these..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigri_(climbing)

with about a 1.5m line and a lightweight climbing harness. Never tried it with a life jacket.
Works a treat, clip onto the mast and lean back into it when reefing etc, instant adjustable length.
Though after a couple of decades working at height using kit like this is second nature, might feel a bit clumsier if you aren´t used to it.

Boo2

Visit site

I bought quite an expensive elasticated triple-hook lifeline and I have to say I'm not particularly impressed. Basically the elasticated part is too long and the no-elasticated part is too short : if you attach by the elasticated line then you could go overboard and be dragged by the boat but if you attach by the short line then you can't stand up.

I intend to get a bespoke one made up with one short line that's just long enough for me to stand up whilst attached and another about twice as long for wrapping round the mast etc or for when I'm moving about and it's absolutely necessary. Generally I'll attach by the short strap.

Does anyone know where I can buy bespoke lifelines ? SaltyJohn ?

Thanks,

Boo2

Old Troll

Visit site
Personally I make my own lifelines from 14mmm nylon three strand rope spliced through the safety hooks. They will stand a breaking strain well in excess of even the largest Troll.

prv

Visit site
Does anyone know where I can buy bespoke lifelines ?

Jimmy Green made one for me a couple of years ago. I was asking at their stand at the boat show for an odd length; they said they didn't have that length but could make it for me at a fiver over the off-the-shelf cost.

Pete

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Jimmy Green made one for me a couple of years ago. I was asking at their stand at the boat show for an odd length; they said they didn't have that length but could make it for me at a fiver over the off-the-shelf cost.

Pete

I read that as 'make it for a fiver' at first and got quite excited.

Seago 3-hook (non-elasticated) jobbie is about £35, will probably go for a couple of them.

Thanks everyone for the input.

- W

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
We have two hook elasticated ones. I often wear it whilst helming. I prefer the stretchy ones as it seems like less stuff to trip over and catch on things.

Ben Dockrell 22

Visit site

- W

Its obvious lifeline technology is very limited at this time.

Could not a form of netting barrier be empolyed around the boat sides preventing crew from going overboard ?

Just a thought.

Ben Dockrell 22

Visit site
On smaller boats said barrier may well exist - at knee height, just right for tumbling over. Not possible to make it any higher.

- W

When the safety equipment cabability is determined by racing boat specification there is a need to think externally of the boat and crew themselves.

Like with bike racing where emergency vehicles accompany the riders ie tour de france.

Powered rescue craft which keep as close as possible to the boats.

Each rescue craft designated to a number of boats.

One or more rescue boats designated to watch for and help crews left behind from the mainstream.