Lifejackets

soapy

Visit site
I'm looking to buy gas inflated lifejackets for myself & family for use on an 18' open sportsboat. I don't know whether to go for manual or auto operation ( kids are 10 & 13 year old swimmers) and is there much to choose between different brands ?.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
There's always a small chance in any boat which travels at speed, of hitting the water harder than you would from a slow boat. For this reason, I'd personally choose autoinflating, as they will deploy even if unconscious.

There have been several test in boating mags, and there does seem to be a big difference in their effectiveness, and most importantly the ability to turn a person from face down to face up. Don't have the results to hand though.

One thing that everyone I know who has used one in anger, or on training courses, has stated, is how important crotch straps are. Without these legs straps, the jacket rides up, and it is difficult to keep the jacket positioned where it should be, and also to haul someone out of the water

<hr width=100% size=1>Err, let me know if Depsol enters the forum, I'll go and hide

dickhicks

Visit site
This months Sailing Today, reviews all of the current ones - loads to choose from. Definately go for auto-inflate, you can get smaller ones for children(depends on their weight). You can also get bargains on <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.eBay.co.uk.>http://www.eBay.co.uk.</A>, lots to choose from.

<hr width=100% size=1>

discovery2

Visit site
Personally I would prefer the auto inflation jackets, especially for children.

Besides inflating automatically if the person is unconscious, there is always the potential for 'panic' when someone, especially children, falls in and pulling the toggle is not always the first priority that comes to mind when subjected to the shock and sudden cold of the water.

David

<hr width=100% size=1>

Piers

www.playdeau.com
I, too, prefer auto jackets, not the least for all the reasons stated here.

BUT, be aware that especially in an open boat, it you get more than splashed (or well splashed as my children would say) the jackets may well trigger and auto-inflate...

Happened to one of my boys - really frightened him with the sudden noise.

<hr width=100% size=1>Piers du Pré
http://www.dupre.co.uk

BrianJ

Visit site
Re: Lifejackets (thigh straps)

Forget crotch straps.. unless you want to talk in a higher pitched voice... go for the thigh straps.. esential .....
BrianJ

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
There was a brief review (on madforsailing.com) of a new salt bobbin design, which is reputed to almost eliminate false triggers, and also makes the service indicator visible trough the shell of the jacket - thus increasing the chance that you would see it needed replacing.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://thedailysail.com/ISM/articles.nsf/News/FED7A53B9555A83A80256D70006D4177?OpenDocument&Login>This</A> - but as it is a subscription site I suspect it will fail! The new jacket is made by Typhoon as a RacerPro, £84.95 w/o harness

<hr width=100% size=1>

redhot

Visit site
I liveaboard my boat along with my wife and six year old daughter. I bought her a conventional life jacket and set the rule that, "whenever she goes outside the boat, she wears her lifejacket". This, to you all may seem fine. Until one day, we decided to have lunch out on deck. I could barely see my daughter because of the huge lifejacket she was wearing.
So we decided to change it. I went for an autoinflate type because I have a belief that, a life jacket should be like the ABS on your car, as in, you don't know it's there until you need it, and then it could save your life.
I agree that autoinflate is the best way to go because children may not think to pull the chord, or the overboardee (new word?) may be unconscious.

Thanks
Mike.

<hr width=100% size=1>

PerL

Visit site
Agree with other posts that auto inflateable should always be chosen before manual. Not sure even if there's a substantial price difference. One thing to note however, is that the mechanism needs serviceing every one or two years.

I think that, because of maintenance, inflateable life jackets should only be used if you spend more than, say, two-three weeks per year on the boat. All lifejackets inflateable or not should have an integrated harness. This makes it a lot less dramatic to put on a safety line, and psychology is quite important when the weather turns bad.

<hr width=100% size=1>

wooslehunter

Visit site
Hi Soapy & welcome to the forum.

I guess since both of your kids are swimmers and also perhaps old enough, auto inflate should be fine. Bear in mind one thing though - kids like to float around & gas inflatables should not be used for that. Bouyancy aids are far better for general swimming and floating around.

For anyone else who reads this & has smaller kids, I bought non-inflating jackets for my two. They're 5 and 2 so cannot be relied on to pull a toggle in the water & most certainly can be relied upon to pull one any other time. The fiddle factor is high. Hence avoid gas bottles for the smaller ones. Second, a non-inlate jacket affords a degree of protection when the kids are thrown about a bit. The two year old falls over all the time without the floor moving around! Third, the jackets I bought had integral safety harnesses with the ring at the back. Hence if they do fall in they'll be towed on their back and not on their front. I tested the harnesses by picking up the five year old with it - worked fine and he wanted to be carried around the boat show like that. No chance he's too heavy but it proved the point.

<hr width=100% size=1>

andyball

Visit site
I bought a "marinepool" auto (hanmar) one for myself as I'm a rotten swimmer & felt happier not having ti find/pull cord while keeping afloat.

Very comfy, not too dear ,nice soft neck collar (don't mock, in the height of summer with no shirt, it's very handy) & ever so easy to put on compared with others...suits me very well.

Try out several at a chandlers/boatshow.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Solitaire

Visit site
True, but best to buy the hydrostatic release. These only inflate when you go under the water and the pressure builds up. Much better on small fast boats.

<hr width=100% size=1>

soapy

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like it's auto inflate for 'dry' use and a couple of conventional jackets if the kids want to try skiing or take to a ring.

<hr width=100% size=1>