LED Lights (this is different!)

emandvee44

Visit site
Found these in a local shop - ideal (I hope) to replace the fluorescent lights in the heads, or there is a much longer one of the same design with 30 leds, (also with a swivel head) suitable for the galley. I have not seen them in UK chandleries.
The price was about 20 euros after discount.
Lalizas product code 70684 or the long one with 30 LEDS is 70685 and about twice the price.

Cheers,

Michael.

Last edited:

VicMallows

Visit site
Biggest problem is that the LED market is evolving so quickly that when you do find a good product, by the tiime you go to buy another it may be unavailable or may have changed significantly. Sometimes the LED colour changes between batches. A particular hate of mine is that this sort of product is usually sold in a 'blister pack' and for all practical purposes you cannot try it out before purchase. Unless it actually DOES NOT work, you try returning it and asking for a refund!

Vic

AndrewB

Visit site
Last week I was just about to replace a failed fluorescent light with an LED strip, when the penny dropped that 240v AC and 12v DC fluorescent tubes are one and the same. Bought a replacement tube in a domestic light store for exactly one-quarter what the "marine" version was priced at in the nearby chandlery. (No pretty packaging, tho). The power consumption seems little more than an equivalent LED strip, so I'll be delaying converting at least until the ballast fails.

Last edited:

elton

www.boatit.co.uk
Found these in a local shop - ideal (I hope) to replace the fluorescent lights in the heads, or there is a much longer one of the same design with 30 leds, (also with a swivel head) suitable for the galley. I have not seen them in UK chandleries.
The price was about 20 euros after discount.
Lalizas product code 70684 or the long one with 30 LEDS is 70685 and about twice the price.

Cheers,

Michael.
Have you tried it? You may be pleasantly surprised, or you could be severely disappointed. These things vary so much in output, light colour, and current consumption, you can never judge until you power them up. When I say they vary, I mean they vary between manufacturers. You'll find people who say LEDs are rubbish because they bought a rubbish one. I've got some MR16s fitted that I bought at Lidl, and they're excellent. Excellent output, good colour temperature and frugal power consumption. The ones I fitted previously were rubbish. They cost the same, but they were feeble, with light the colour of moonlight.

emandvee44

Visit site
LED Lights

Thanks for your comments.
My intention was to bring to readers' attention a product which I did not think was known to many.
Talking to other boat owners I have found that most are changing or have changed to led to reduce power consumption when long distance cruising or living on board.
I have replaced all my (11) cabin light bulbs with leds and so far they are all working very well, but I admit they do not appear to give the same spread of light as the original incandescent bulbs.

I had not until now found replacements for the heads lights, and I will post the results when I fit them.

Cheers,

Michael.

VicMallows

Visit site
I've got some MR16s fitted that I bought at Lidl, and they're excellent.

I have too!.... but there is a massive difference in colour temperature between 2 lots I bought a few months apart, and no distinguishing marks anywhere on the lamps or packaging. Doesn't matter that much in my case as the light 'blends', but that was my point - you might be lucky or might not.

Vic