Leatherman type multitool recommendations?

dom

Visit site
There isn't anywhere else I'd be likely to need it. I have tools at home for household jobs. The only time carrying one would have been useful (the Arctic example!) was a bit out of the ordinary!

It was a "bit" to be fair; but I was rather hoping for a story about fending off a polar bear with your Swiss Army knife, twisting its claws with the shackle opener, that sort of thing :D

lw395

Visit site
It was a "bit" to be fair; but I was rather hoping for a story about fending off a polar bear with your Swiss Army knife, twisting its claws with the shackle opener, that sort of thing :D

Maybe opening a tin of corned beef and feeding it?

l'escargot

Visit site
I asked if you carry them everywhere, not on the boat :)

There's not much point to a multitool on a yacht, because you're never more than a boat's-length away from a proper toolbox.

Pete
I keep my Gerber in the nav table, it's easy to grab if I need to do a quick job removing a split pin or similar rather than dragging the tool box out from an under seat locker and rummaging for pliers and the like which, by their nature, will be at the bottom buried underneath everything else...

Visit site
Never been a fan of multi-tools. They're good at doing lots of jobs badly. Everyone seems to keep one in their cockpit tables, but whos cockpit has no-where to keep a pair of pliers and a screwdriver?

Gordonmc

Visit site
The cheapo Leatherman I have had for years, now discontinued, did not have locking implements and was a pain.
The pliers broke and I sent it to the manufacturers hoping they would replace it with a newer model. No such luck. It now lives in a locker.
Of more use is my Captain Curries which consists only of a knife, shackle key and a beefy marlin spike with a flat screwdriver on the end of the handle. No fiddly scissors or other gimmicks.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Sorry - no tales of heroic derring-do! Modern Polar work concentrates on eliminating the need for heroic exploits. As they say, any fool can be uncomfortable in the field!

Pete R

Visit site
The problem is that when the law was written it probably envisaged quite a broad interpretation of "good reason" - basically as long as it was clear that you weren't carrying the knife as a weapon. But since then it has been interpreted ever more strictly, so that you essentially need to have a specific use in mind at the end of that particular journey. "Just in case it comes in handy", the reason I used to carry a Gerber on my belt at all times, is seemingly no longer good enough
I don't think your reason ever existed and neither do I think anything has changed in the almost 30 years the legislation has been in. Your evidence to the contrary would be most welcome.

This is from Sussex Police............
"Possession of a multi-tool incorporating a prohibited blade or pointed article is capable of being an offence under this section even if there are other tools on the instrument which may be of use to a person in a public place.

The ban is not total, but it's for the person in possession of such an instrument to prove on the balance of probabilities that he or she had good reason for its possession. For example, someone backpacking across the Lake District may reasonably be expected to have a knife for the preparation of meals. It will be far more difficult to justify on the streets of a city or town, but there will be occasions when someone is genuinely going to something like a martial arts class or scout meeting."