Leatherman type multitool recommendations?

prv

Visit site
Fine for small jobs, but i prefer a rigging set on board and propper tools around the home and garage.

Of course - I don't think anyone would expect one of these to replace real tools. But they're very handy when you're out and about and unexpectedly need to cut, turn, bend, loosen, or tighten something.

Pete

joha

Visit site

Beyondhelp

www.aboardmyboat.com
A vote here for Gerber. I got it at SIBS 2014, and it saved my arse when some ropes got caught around my prop earlier this year. Still looks like new and has been submerged several times. I'm actually quite surprised, I didn't expect it to do so well.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Humm, have used some similar tools over the years but now settled on carrying a pair of Garden pruners, anvil type, for rope cutting (great cut quick and clean even on wet rope) plus a pair pliers for most other jobs, of an urgent matter when main tools are not available.

William_H

Visit site
Humm, have used some similar tools over the years but now settled on carrying a pair of Garden pruners, anvil type, for rope cutting (great cut quick and clean even on wet rope) plus a pair pliers for most other jobs, of an urgent matter when main tools are not available.

I agree although I prefer the bypass type secateurs for rope cutting. I have a Leatherman but consider it too valuable to go on the boat. Indeed it doesn't often come out at home. I much prefer proper tools for a particular job. I keep slip jaw pliars on the boat as they are cheap and can get very rusty and still be usable.
Likewise a fishing knife and screw drivers. I find the cheaper the tools the less inclined they are to jump overboard. Deep seas seems like a magnet to valuable items on a boat.
Interesting story on the law in UK and knives. I imagine Oz law is very similar. I think I have "butterfly knife' somewhere. I can't imagine how that could be banned. Seems like any pocket knife to me. I certainly have more leathal looking kitchen and fishing knives. I don't think I have ever bought a knife but seem to have a large collection anyway. Many found on the bottom of the river near mooring and jetty. good luck olewill

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
I had a Leatherman and was very pleased with it. Then one of the tools broke and I returned it and got a new one back free, I believe there is no time limit on it. I still use it 21 years later.

Binman

Visit site
Still have my sheath knife from scouting days as a lad, no restrictions then, have a collection of lock knives, often brought a new one when on holiday. Think both leatherman and Gerber do a job, but prefer the right tools, my friend uses a leatherman for rigging adjustments I can see the sense in that.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I followed a Sailing Today review recommendation and went for a Victorinox Skipper.

l_skipper.jpg

The pliers are a bit feeble, though they work OK. Everything else is great and the knife is superb. It's a lock one, so as has been pointed out there could be some issues carrying it in public. Mine lives on the boat, so that's not an issue.

dom

Visit site
I followed a Sailing Today review recommendation and went for a Victorinox Skipper.

...The pliers are a bit feeble, though they work OK. Everything else is great and the knife is superb.

I have fancied one of those since I was a kid, but somehow never got around to buying one!

But can I ask a question; am I the only heavy handed goon on here that would fear bending that beautiful knife by using the shackle opener in anger, or perhaps turning a screw with even the merest hint of stiffness? And just out of interest; how many people seriously use those old-style Crocodile Dundee tin openers?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
But can I ask a question; am I the only heavy handed goon on here that would fear bending that beautiful knife by using the shackle opener in anger, or perhaps turning a screw with even the merest hint of stiffness? And just out of interest; how many people seriously use those old-style Crocodile Dundee tin openers?

I managed to bend mine, a bit, by stupidly trying to twist something unreasonably hard with teh plier. I managed to bend it back, though. The screw drivers work fine. I don't think the slot in the pointy thing is a shackle opener, though I don't know what it is. And yes, I have used the tin opener. It works very well.

If I was redesigning the thing I would replace the pliers with a decent shackle key and I'd make the spike spikier. If I was buying again I would probably go for the Helmsman, which is a bit simpler:

$_57.JPG

prv

Visit site
It is only illegal to carry a lock knife in public without good reason.:rolleyes:

The problem is that when the law was written it probably envisaged quite a broad interpretation of "good reason" - basically as long as it was clear that you weren't carrying the knife as a weapon. But since then it has been interpreted ever more strictly, so that you essentially need to have a specific use in mind at the end of that particular journey. "Just in case it comes in handy", the reason I used to carry a Gerber on my belt at all times, is seemingly no longer good enough :(

Pete

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Whenever I pass a display in the chandlers or wherever, I always think "Those look handy!". But then I think "Hang on a minute, I've got every one of those tools already; why do I need it?" And the answer is, I don't need it - the real tool is better as it is designed for its own job without the compromises that are necessary in a multitool. I actually do have a multitool in the drawer where I keep things like cord and knives - but it rarely if ever comes out.

That said, I was once in a position where a very simple sailing knife (one of the flat stainless ones with a blade, a spike, a shackle key and a broad screwdriver blade) saved our bacon on an Arctic field trip! We had taken equipment knocked down for transport, and when we arrived we needed to reassemble it. Opened the boxes and everything was there - except the tool kit! Fortunately I had my knife, and we had a couple of other "scratch" tools, and mainly using the knife as a screwdriver we were able to assemble the kit.

In general, I'm afraid I think that multitools are "Boys' toys"!

prv

Visit site
Whenever I pass a display in the chandlers or wherever, I always think "Those look handy!". But then I think "Hang on a minute, I've got every one of those tools already; why do I need it?"

So do you carry that toolbox around with you everywhere?

Multitools aren't intended to be used where you expect to need tools (except possibly for extremely weight- or space-sensitive activities), they're for when you didn't expect to need a tool but the need has nevertheless arisen.

Pete

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Whenever I pass a display in the chandlers or wherever, I always think "Those look handy!". But then I think "Hang on a minute, I've got every one of those tools already; why do I need it?" And the answer is, I don't need it - the real tool is better as it is designed for its own job without the compromises that are necessary in a multitool. I actually do have a multitool in the drawer where I keep things like cord and knives - but it rarely if ever comes out.

I agree. I use the knife or my, erm, knife, far more than everything else combined. The pliers probably come second and the screwdrivers after that. If I want real tools I have a box full of 'em under a bunk, but it is handy to have everything I need for some small jobs immediately to hand.

In general, I'm afraid I think that multitools are "Boys' toys"!

Agreed.

lw395

Visit site

Multitools aren't intended to be used where you expect to need tools (except possibly for extremely weight- or space-sensitive activities), they're for when you didn't expect to need a tool but the need has nevertheless arisen.

Pete
I agree.
But the leatherboy and gerbil brands are for poseurs.

I have a couple of cheap ones, one lives on my racing dinghy, it has knife, screwdriver and pliers.
It's been useful, it's been borrowed a fair bit, if someone loses or breaks it, it's only the price of a couple of beers.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk

Pete
I carry them all on the boat, with a "quick access" toolkit containing everything a multitool will do (and a lot more). There's a larger toolkit a bit more difficult to access for when I'm working on the engine or suchlike. I do carry a knife with shackle key and spike, which suffices for most things that need casual attention.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I asked if you carry them everywhere, not on the boat :)

There's not much point to a multitool on a yacht, because you're never more than a boat's-length away from a proper toolbox.

Pete

There isn't anywhere else I'd be likely to need it. I have tools at home for household jobs. The only time carrying one would have been useful (the Arctic example!) was a bit out of the ordinary!