lazyjacks

rob

Visit site
I want to set up lazyjacks on my Sadler but not sure how to go about it. Are there any readers that can give me any advice or put me onto a book or article on the subject. I need to do the task on the mooring.
Any help appreciated
Rob

G

I recently put lazyjacks on my boat and it has been a godsend, especially as I do a lot of single handing. Lacking any info on how to do it I just wandered around the boatyard here and saw how everybody else did it on various different makes of boat and selected one that I thought I could do easily.

G

I've got a fully battened main on my Holland 25, and initially set mine up as follows:
a pair of liines run thru blocks at spreader height, cleated at the mast m one end, and terminating with floating blocks at the other.
a pair of lines run from a point about 25% along boom from gooseneck, go up thru the 'floating blocks', and terminate 75 - 80% along boom from gooseneck.
To operate, lines were tensioned, and halyard released - sail pretty much fell onto boom, constrained by the lines.
Mark 2 was to make a new sail cover that is in two parts, and zips from end of boom. About 100mm either side of boom there are pieces of sail batten running full length of cover in pockets in the sail cover. These battens are drilled with grommets in the fabric for attachement of shackles. Modified lazy jacks are:
pair of lines from saddles above spreader height, with floating block at end (about 1 metre long). Pair of shockcords from spreader ends load these lines, and hold them about halfway out to spreader tips.
pair of lines go thru blocks at inboard end of cover, up thru floating blocks, and terminate in another pair of blocks (and sit about 500mm below first set of floating blocks. Lower ends of these lines are clipped to outboard end of boom, and tied together.
pair of llines from mid points of battend, up thru floating blocks, and terminate near end of boom in battens.
To use:
raising:
Open zip, go head to wind, and raise sail. Care needed not to snare sail battens in outermost lines - sometimes release clip at end of boom whcih causes lines to fall forward.
lowering:
re clip to end of boom (if released), release halyard, do up zip!

Transformed my boat to point where you almost always raise the main. Reefing (single line, slab) greatly simplified, as tuck falls into sail cover.

johnsomerhausen

Visit site
In "Ocean Cruising on a Budget", anne Hammick gives the best description I know of how to make your own lazyjacks. The only modification I made to her design was to have them pass through eyes 4 feet above the crosstrees and come back down to two small nylon cleats on the mast about 7 feet from the deck. That way, I can hook the lazyjacks around the "reefing horns" at the gooseneck when hoisting the main and also when putting the sail cover on, so that my old sail cover did not need to be adapted.
john