lazy Jacks. Problems and solutions please?

Poignard

Visit site
No significant problems with the lazy jacks I fitted. Their sole function is to gather the mainsail on top of the boom when it is lowered so it doesn't impede visibility and get in the way.

When I don't need them, ie when not lowering the mainsail, I slacken them off, pull them forward to the mast, pass them ahead of their mast cleats and then re-tighten them.

When I need to drop the sail I go forward, set up the lazy jacks, turn more or less into the wind, drop the sail quickly, pass a long tyer round the sail a couple of feet from the gooseneck. Then I can forget about it until the time comes to give it a 'harbour stow'.

Well worth the small cost of installing them (in my opinion).

Problems?

I should have used thicker line.

I didn't take enough care when positioning the cleats either side of the mast and they are underneath the sail cover which spoils the fit of it a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

andrewbartlett

Visit site
Possibly it isn't relevant since my boat's a dinghy - but being a dinghy meant putting up with the vast mainsail flooding the cockpit when it's lowered. I felt that could be improved...

...so I fitted lazyjacks to spare connections on my Osprey's upper mast. There were dire warnings from many here on the forum, and much questioning as to why I wanted lazyjacks...

...but I've been consistently impressed by what they do, simply and controllably. If I find a batten-end is caught, I can slacken the lazies on the caught side and just shake them free...

...and in the dinghy park, I drop the lazyjacks to their slackest setting and pull them tight along the boom and up the mast, no more in the way than the halyards. Cover fits fine.

I have several 'settings' - just loops in the end of the lines which control the lazies - so, one setting keeps the boom overhead when rowing, another setting is just 'horizontal', and one is a bit slacker for sailing, when you don't want the boom's weight pulling on the lazyjacks and corrupting the sail shape.

View attachment 35163

The photo doesn't do it justice, but for easy controllability which isn't available on most dinghies, it just works. I'll never again want a rig where only the sail supports the boom, and once the sail is lowered, it drops, flops and flaps about on deck. I haven't worked out why mine is the only dinghy so-equipped!

I assume this method would'nt work with a roller reefing system in place - or would it?

colhel

Visit site
I did wonder about attaching them to the spreader but ours seems a bit low. Do you have one or two (or more) spreaders? Another thought would be to have a bock on each spreader that would allow the LJs to be pulled apart when needed. Does anyone run the LJ "control" back to the cockpit or even to the boom. It would be nice to have to leave the cockpit sometimes...

sailorman

Visit site
I did wonder about attaching them to the spreader but ours seems a bit low. Do you have one or two (or more) spreaders? Another thought would be to have a bock on each spreader that would allow the LJs to be pulled apart when needed. Does anyone run the LJ "control" back to the cockpit or even to the boom. It would be nice to have to leave the cockpit sometimes...
Mine are made off to cleats ( bowline) either side of the mast below the goose neck & i just wind on / off turns as req

lpdsn

Visit site
Why the hell would you do that? :confused:

Coz you can't go head to wind if you don't have a working engine. That when lazy jacks make it easier to hoist off the wind if you don't have spare crew to release the sail ties at the last second.

dancrane

Visit site
I assume this method would'nt work with a roller reefing system in place - or would it?

Umm...I mean no offence, but is that a serious question? The principle benefit of lazyjacks is their ability to contain the lowered mainsail, rather than having it flap, uncontrolled...

...but if you use a roller-reefing system - whether it's in-mast or in-boom, the reduction of the sail's area won't leave anything which needs containing.

The LJs provide a topping-lift function on my Osprey, but that only needed a line from the boom end. I think the intended purpose for LJs is to do what roller-reefing itself takes care of.

andrewbartlett

Visit site
Umm...I mean no offence, but is that a serious question? The principle benefit of lazyjacks is their ability to contain the lowered mainsail, rather than having it flap, uncontrolled...

...but if you use a roller-reefing system - whether it's in-mast or in-boom, the reduction of the sail's area won't leave anything which needs containing.

The LJs provide a topping-lift function on my Osprey, but that only needed a line from the boom end. I think the intended purpose for LJs is to do what roller-reefing itself takes care of.
Well of course the sail isn't always reefed and I normally sail single handed and do not want to put a reef in prior to dropping the main and ecuring it with sail ties. However I do see where you are coming from. A fair point as and when reefed.

dancrane

Visit site
I'm not quite sure, cap'n...are you a fan of lazyjacks, grudging the fact that your own boat doesn't have 'em...or do you really not like them? :confused:

capnsensible

Visit site
I'm not quite sure, cap'n...are you a fan of lazyjacks, grudging the fact that your own boat doesn't have 'em...or do you really not like them? :confused:

Well Ive been sailing today on a yacht I look after that has the devils knitting on that I cannot remove!.

One of my own two yachts (!) doesn't have lazyjacks (devil wants yoooo) on and I have happily (as far as you can with a wife who insists on the correct sail area wherever we are in the Atlantic) (even when Ive been asleep for as long as 8 seconds) not had a problem in 16 years.

My other yacht, (mmm) has lazyjacks (666) and despite my repeated threats to excorcise them, I haven't quite yet achieved because sometimes, very occasionally, they may, actually help.

But not often!!!!!

So despite my desire to view them as an aid to short handed sailing (sometimes), more often than not I crave to send them to a fiery hell....

You could say Im undecided! ;)

dancrane

Visit site
I know I'm the odd one out, having introduced lazyjacks to a dinghy, whose crews are apparently meant to endure the mainsail always either being up, supporting the boom, or down, where it and the boom get badly in the way.

I haven't worked out why non-racing dinghy-sailors don't all add this modest aid. The freedom to drop the main without having to deal with it, seems alien in dinghies.

I like sailing the boat fast, but I also like treating it like a relaxed little cruiser - so I've sailed some long stretches under genoa alone, or rowed her, or beached the boat, but never, ever do I have to endure a hundred square feet of mainsail crackling away on the floor, filling every corner of the cockpit while the boom disconnects from the gooseneck and tries to slide overboard. The main stays flaked-down overhead, just where I want it and ever-ready for hoisting...

...I realise it's not suitable for crews in determined pursuit of peak performance, but for daysailing, particularly shorthanded, I can't think of any other trick on board which is as helpful.