Launching/naming ceremony

tsadpt

Visit site
Hi everyone

Well, after 10 years of chartering, and borrowing boats, we have finally taken the plunge and ordered a new 36 foot yacht yesterday!

However, The boat will come into the country in December, and we collect her in February for delivery from Haling Island to Gosport in February, where the fit-out will continue as we begin to put all our nventory, electronics, heating and bits and bobs aboard.

She should be ready, in "Worling trim" in March

Our families are almost as excited as we are, and every man and his dog wants to come to "the launching". So when and where should we have it, and what does it entail? What have you guys done to cristen your new boat? Should we have a little private ceremony in Feb when we collect her, and then have a "formal" do in March? what are your views?

Looking forward to hearing your "new boat" stories!!

David

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

It is a Russian tradition to annoint the new or what is new for you if s/hand with either a shot of vodka or Champanski ..... eg for cars a dribble on each wheel, boats a dribble over the bow - obviously you drink the rest !!

<hr width=100% size=1>Nigel ... and of course Yahoo groups :
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gps-navigator/

silverseal

Visit site
Gosport is 800 years old, and we have a launching routine, which goes back hundreds of years. The boat is launched by some luminary, or failing that the skippers/owners/ SWMBO with some suitable alcoholic drink. The boat once launched must be put immediately on a holding buoy, to see if she if she is water tight. This process takes at least 12-24 hours. During that time a suitable premises is taken over usually a public house, where the skipper/owner, is expected to practice for his daughters forthcoming nuptials, but taking out a small mortgage and buying all and sundry a drink or few, inviting all his friends relatives, workers and the idle few who have nothing better to do but reply to this forum..
PS I am in drinking distance of both Chichester and Gosport

<hr width=100% size=1>

StugeronSteve

Visit site
I found that there were far too many things to think about at hand over to consider naming ceremonies. I did the delivery trip with my son and a couple of friends, the formalities of inspections and briefings took so long that we were late getting away and had to plug a foul tide back to our berth, then straight into the car and home, knackered.

We went down as a family the following weekend with two bottle of champers. One to toast the boat and our happiness on arrival and another to celebrate the completion of our first passage the following day.

Unless you are incredibly organized and disciplined you are going to want to get out and use her straight away. Mind you living 200m from the boat makes all of the niceties that little bit more difficult.

<hr width=100% size=1>Think I'll draw some little rabbits on my head, from a distance they might be mistaken for hairs.

GROTTYYOTTY

Visit site
And be careful there are no problems with bottles that won't break at the naming ceremony or you could be stuck with a boat called Oh bugger!

<hr width=100% size=1>

B

bob_tyler

'Phone the Queen. She must know how to do it - she's had enough practice!

<hr width=100% size=1>