Large fisherman anchor

Fergal

Visit site
I am looking for a large fisherman anchor of about 35 - 40 kg weight. No offence meant but I would prefer not have one made in the Far East due to dubious quality. Does anyone know of a reputable supplier ?

billiew

Visit site
What do want it for? I am making 2 anchors for my mooring and could easily make another one if you wanted a mooring anchor.
Bill

Fergal

Visit site
It is to be used as either a kedge or back up to the main anchor on a traditional sailing vessel.

Thanks for the offer Bill. I will send a PM.

C

catalac08

Gaelforce do a wide range anchor designs including some commercial types.

Bajansailor

Visit site
Apart from a fisherman anchor from one of the older RNLI lifeboats, the Herreshoff and Luke fisherman anchors must be pretty much the best you can get - and the Luke anchors can be broken down into 3 sections.
Have a look at http://www.peluke.com/Storm_Anchors/storm_anchors.html
and google for Herreshoff fisherman anchors.
The bronze anchors are gorgeous - but not cheap......

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
I also want a fisherman's anchor but nothing like that size.

We as a family used to have a few knocking about old boats and sheds (often the same thing). But the type we had unlike the RNLI types that used to be stored on the bow rails, did not have flats on the flukes, i.e. they were more like grapples.

I think I want an anchor with flukes, but have no idea at all what size or if in fact with flukes they are still called fisherman's or something else... knowing marine stuff they will have a different name.

Please report back anything you find and if you find a good supplier. A size chart would be handy too. If I understand anything, the weight of a fisherman's is not as important as a mud anchor due to the characteristics of deployment, but will be happily corrected upon this..?

TamarMike

Visit site
Not sure where you are but a couple of years ago Woods of Crediton did have quite a large stock of heavy (ex RN?) fisherman anchors (60 lb'ish?)but with rather short arms and stocks. I did have one on my old boat (& sold it with it). kept in the bilges for emergencies, never used it as without a windlass I doubt I would ever have recovered it if deployed

Visit site
You might be interested in this 'Belfast' design by Ian Nicolson FRINA, the very well-known yacht designer and author of practical marine-topics books. It's been rattling about in my boatshed for a while.

IMGP0047-1.jpg

It 'demounts'/unbolts for storage and is, as they say, Clyde-built. Certainly not the sort of kit one expects to find on a wee Hurley....... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pilotcutter1

Visit site
I imagine the surplus anchor has long since been disposed of, but just in case....

I imagine the surplus anchor has long since been disposed of, but just in case.... please send me details