L J compulsory when fishing in Portugal.

Visit site
I had an interesting conversation with the Policia Maritima yesterday.
The law requires a licence to fish - obviously you aren't on "Innocent passage" & therefore are subject to local regs.
Not only the fisherman but everyone on deck is required to wear an LJ or bouyancy aid.

Sandyman

Visit site
I will be in the Nautical Club in Faro tonight. Will mention this to the fishermen.
I kind of know what the response will be :)

GrahamM376

Visit site
Not so according to the PM it applies to those on deck but not to those below.

Just had a natter with a fisherman friend. It appears anyone single handing a fishing boat at sea has to wear a life jacket. Anyone (all on board) fishing at anchor has to wear a life jacket but fishing underway they don't.

It's a nightmare here, he broke the law a couple of weeks ago by catching a blue tuna. Evidently a licence has to applied for the day before you catch one and then once caught you have to notify the owners of the static tuna fish traps to have your fish weight deducted from their annual quota :eek:

Last edited:

Heckler

Visit site
Just had a natter with a fisherman friend. It appears anyone single handing a small fishing boat at sea has to wear a life jacket. Anyone (all on board) fishing at anchor has to wear a life jacket but fishing underway they don't.

It's a nightmare here, he broke the law a couple of weeks ago by catching a blue tuna. Evidently a licence has to applied for the day before you catch one and then once caught you have to notify the owners of the static tuna fish traps to have your fish weight deducted from their annual quota :eek:
In Albufeira now, heading to Culatera next week, you there then?
Stu

Sandyman

Visit site
Hi Stu
Gunter on Medusa tells me the PM towed out all the wrecks from the lagoon last week and plonked them in the anchorage. You & Graham should fit in well :) :)

nortada

Visit site
I trust we are not descending into another season of screwing the punters around?

Other than locals, are folk being fined or just warned?

Last edited:

GrahamM376

Visit site
I trust we are not descending into another season of screwing the punters around?

Other than locals, are folk being fined or just warned?

This one is aimed mostly at the locals. Often when we exit the Ria Formosa there are small boats with a couple of guys with suicidal tendencies fishing in the overfalls.

Unless you know different, the police seem to be leaving visitors alone these days.

Sandyman

Visit site
Just a bee in the bonnet short term purge. Soon forgot about by PM until the next time.
Cant blame pescadores not wanting to wear LJ's in this heat.

Visit site
Just a bee in the bonnet short term purge. Soon forgot about by PM until the next time.
Cant blame pescadores not wanting to wear LJ's in this heat.

Many of them have been given auto inflatable jackets. The problem as seen a few weeks ago when a fishing boat capsized the three crew were wearing ljs - the only survivor was the one who removed his and swam ashore saying later that it was impossible to swim whilst wearing it. Both fatalities were wearing theirs.